Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting article about this weekend games « previous next »
Page: 1

Stretchcaddy

Starter

: January 04, 2008, 04:33:22 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=4769A999D84233EBFC2F37D50102626F?id=09000d5d805ba6f2&template=without-video&confirm=true

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#1 : January 05, 2008, 12:36:08 AM

Good read.  I thought this part was interesting.

"3. Coach talk: Defense wins championships

Coaches love to say things like, "defense wins championships." After watching the Colts win the Super Bowl last year, I'm not so sure about the defense issue. Don't get me wrong, a defense is critical, but more and more it looks like offense holds the key to a title. If you believe in defense over offense, here are the matchups this weekend based on defensive ranking. Do you believe in defense?

» Washington (No. 8) vs. Seattle (No. 15)
» Jacksonville (No. 12) vs. Pittsburgh (No. 1)
» N.Y. Giants (No. 7) vs. Tampa Bay (No. 2)
» Tennessee (No. 5) vs. San Diego (No. 14)

Still think defense wins this week?
4. Coach talk: You have to win the turnover battle

Every coach will speak to the turnover battle, and this one intrigues me a little more. I do believe in the more chances an offense gets, the better chance it has to win. Here are the matchups with the turnover battle in mind.

» Washington (-5) vs. Seattle (+10): A swing of 15 to Seattle
» Jacksonville (+9) vs. Pittsburgh (+3): A swing of 6 to Jacksonville
» N.Y. Giants (-9) vs. Tampa Bay (+15): A swing of 24 to Tampa Bay
» Tennessee (0) vs. San Diego (+24): A swing of 24 to San Diego

I wonder if you like these four teams more than the defensive winners? By the way, Tampa Bay won both categories.
5. The most critical stat for winning

It's not talked about as much as defensive prowess, turnovers or even sacks -- but people who study the probability of NFL success will point to "yards per pass attempt" by an offense as the most critical factor. Here's a look at this week's games by ranking:

» Washngton (No. 15) vs, Seattle (No. 13)
» Jacksonville (No. 7) vs. Pittsburgh (No. 14)
» N.Y. Giants (No. 22) vs. Tampa Bay (No. 12)
» Tennessee (No. 20) vs. San Diego (No. 16)

Tampa Bay is the only team to win all three categories. Let's see how these games shake out.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting article about this weekend games « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools