Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gradkowski is handicapped « previous next »
Page: 1

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

: November 24, 2006, 02:13:07 PM

Watching the game yesterday was a mess, especially on defense. Its blantantly obvious that Gradkowski is handicapped as a NFL QB, he cannot make all the throws. Can he overcome this as Garcia did, time will tell. When you watch the game Gradkowski cannot stretch a field deep or wide which is a major problem. He just does not have the arm strength to open up the offense. The pick to Galloway was a perfect picture of a QB with no arm.

Defenses know this. Roy Williams was all over that throw it was 10-15 yards short of where it intended or needed to be. I have been a realist on Gradkowski and meen optimistic about his chances but I cannot see him being a frontline starter in the NFL. His lack of arm strength really makes it tough on him to succeed in the NFL. When defenses know that you cannot throw deep with any consistancy and you cannot throw the 15 yard outs and digs it makes it extremely hard esp on a rookie QB. Im not giving up on the guy yet but I just don't see Gradkowski being the guy that is going to nickel and dime defenses into wins.

We have a serious QB situation in Tampa, we have a rookie QB who consistantly comes out and gives the same output. He is turning the ball over more, he is still missing WR's and he just struggles. I do not see how Grads can really elevate from where he is right now. He just does not have the abilities to do so.

Jon Gruden has done a good job with this guy, he's a 6th round pick with the cards stacked against him (short, lack of arm strength). I am tired of Gruden getting stuck with medicore talent and trying to make them something. Fact is this, if Gruden had a QB that could do special things, more talent, Gruden could make him a special player. Gruden has been trying to refurbish QB's since he has been here, trying to manage their games. We just have zero contribution from the QB spot. It is hurting the team, the running game, the passing game, the defense is constantly on the field and we continue to struggle to move the ball. Grads is fine by me but he just is not progessing that well IMHO and I cannot see him elevating his game from what it is at this point.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 24, 2006, 02:15:24 PM

The pick to Galloway was a perfect picture of a QB with no arm.

Gruden said he was hit has he released the ball on that one.  I haven't checked the tape yet, but I will later on.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 24, 2006, 02:18:44 PM

I did watch the game for the 2nd time (as if the first wasn't enough) and it was an abyssmal throw. Then he misses Galloway on the TD fade that was knocked down by Henry. He may not have been able to fully step into the ball but he simply lacks the arm strength for these throws. It makes it hard on him and defenses know this so its even more difficult to move the ball. Factor that in and you have 8-9 man fronts on Caddy and we still cannot throw the ball with any effectiveness.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 24, 2006, 02:23:04 PM

I did watch the game for the 2nd time (as if the first wasn't enough) and it was an abyssmal throw. Then he misses Galloway on the TD fade that was knocked down by Henry. He may not have been able to fully step into the ball but he simply lacks the arm strength for these throws. It makes it hard on him and defenses know this so its even more difficult to move the ball. Factor that in and you have 8-9 man fronts on Caddy and we still cannot throw the ball with any effectiveness.

The pass to the endzone was released a fraction of a second late, and the defender only just tipped the ball.  Rookies struggle making quick reads, it is part of the learning process.  Grads might not be the answer but it is far too early to give up on him. 

Arm strength actually has zero to do with "strength", its technique so they can work on that a little.  Will he ever have a good deep ball, no that is highly unlikely, but he has sufficient range to play the WCO well and hit the occasional deeper ball.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 24, 2006, 02:26:53 PM

Something else you need to factor in is we are constantly in 3rd a long situations.  On the TD drive we were in a hole twice on the 3rd down and he made the plays, one a great scramble and a key 13 yard pass to Galloway.  The fact that he is one of the 3rd down conversion leaders should tell an intelligent person that there are many problems with our offense right now.

He is a rookie, hopefully he gets better, and quite honestly we don't have any other options right now so why the constant belly aching. 

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 24, 2006, 03:03:24 PM

Not belly aching just saying that I'm tired of seeing Gruden work with 2nd or 3rd or 10th tier talent at the most important position on the team. Do you know why our offense sux? We haven't had a viable QB since forever. We have constantly been relying on Gruden to work miracles and get by.

Baghead #2

#6 : November 24, 2006, 03:15:23 PM

http://www.tonyhomo.com/
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gradkowski is handicapped « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools