Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How to fix the Defense « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 08, 2006, 07:24:57 PM

will allen was going for the strip on duece the whole damn run.. instead of trying to tackle him he was playing patty-cake.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 08, 2006, 07:37:33 PM

how to fix the defense: 

- cut booger
- rice is trade bait, shop him for a 2nd rd pick
- Ruud starts over Quarles
-white is re-signed and starts over spires, who takes a paycut
- draft Adams or Moses in April
-defense heavy draft, at least 2/3 of our day 1 picks to defense
-we will be well under the cap next year so make a run at Michael Lewis, Lance Briggs and Darnell Dockett in RFA. Lewis being a priority, we need a sure tackling vet safety.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#17 : October 08, 2006, 07:46:35 PM

how to fix the defense: 

- cut booger
-we will be well under the cap next year so make a run at Michael Lewis, Lance Briggs and Darnell Dockett in RFA. Lewis being a priority, we need a sure tackling vet safety.

Agree with everything to a tee until Lewis being a priority. Eagles fans hate this guy, he's constantly giving up the big play. I got to see him for the first time today and yeah, thats exactly what he did a few times. Especially just minutes ago when all he had to do was handle deep coverage at the end of the game and got beat by Glenn. IMO it's key to get Briggs. He's got a nice pop, he plays all over the field, and he's a great tackler. Throw a ton of money his way, add a new DE and SS in the mix via the draft and this defense is starting to look up once again. Knowing our luck though, we won't pay any decent defensive FAs and we'll draft offense in the first 2 rounds. :(

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 08, 2006, 08:35:17 PM

does Books-a-Million sell "Defense for Dummies"?  if so we need a couple dozen copies.

simms22

Second String

#19 : October 08, 2006, 08:59:47 PM

we need to add some new talent via draft and possibly free agency....id like to see us get a quentin moses, brandon siler, and a DT somewhere in the draft.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 08, 2006, 09:01:28 PM

Watch Will Allen wiff at least twice today on Deuce McCallister. That was embarrassing!

He got juked by him bad, and the guy hardly put on a juke on the big run.

Safety play has been awful.  For once, I'd like to see Jermaine get an INT.

Oh wait, how many years ago was that one?

Notice I said ONE.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#21 : October 08, 2006, 09:07:29 PM

And wasn't Phillips the guy the FO said was ready to take John Lynch's place? What a joke! One of the most horrible decisions ever. >:(

xDARKOx

Pro Bowler

#22 : October 08, 2006, 09:08:30 PM

Watch Will Allen wiff at least twice today on Deuce McCallister. That was embarrassing!
did you also see him tackle deuce in the 5 yard line?

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 08, 2006, 09:16:59 PM

Agree with everything to a tee until Lewis being a priority. Eagles fans hate this guy, he's constantly giving up the big play. I got to see him for the first time today and yeah, thats exactly what he did a few times. Especially just minutes ago when all he had to do was handle deep coverage at the end of the game and got beat by Glenn. IMO it's key to get Briggs. He's got a nice pop, he plays all over the field, and he's a great tackler. Throw a ton of money his way, add a new DE and SS in the mix via the draft and this defense is starting to look up once again. Knowing our luck though, we won't pay any decent defensive FAs and we'll draft offense in the first 2 rounds. :(

i always thought lewis was solid. here is what Scouts INC says about him.  Sounds like a significant upgrade to me:

Comment:
He has great instincts vs. the run, will step up and fill quickly, and is not afraid to take on blocks. For a guy who tries to intimidate, he is still a good fundamental tackler, and he will do a nice job of wrapping up, rather than just making a lot of collisions. He has excellent overall range in zone schemes, and is probably better in the cover two and in zone situations than he is in man to man. He is instinctive, shows good ball skills, and does not gamble. Although his man to man skills are adequate for a strong safety, he is not overly fluid or really smooth in the hips. He is a little bit of a straight line speed guy in man to man situations. Although his speed is good, his man to man skills are not elite, and he is probably better when he is coming forward and attacking, than when he is in man to man situations.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 08, 2006, 09:19:47 PM

And wasn't Phillips the guy the FO said was ready to take John Lynch's place? What a joke! One of the most horrible decisions ever. >:(

you're only saying with the benefit of hindsight. at the time, lynch was coming off a career threatening injury that no one knew how he'd come back. the team understandably went with the younger, cheaper and more athletic Phillips when Lynch refused to accept a pay cut and a reduced role.  Lynch is still a force against the run in Denver, but he is a liability in pass coverage. 

HereComesDaBoom

Practice Squad
#25 : October 08, 2006, 09:25:57 PM

Why is it that Rice uses one move for the entire game. I can recall one play where he did an inside move. It becomes predictable when you run yourself out of the play, especially when the DT  cannot handle the middle alone.

Booger is a flat out thief.

bOOm

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#26 : October 08, 2006, 09:31:36 PM

i always thought lewis was solid. here is what Scouts INC says about him.  Sounds like a significant upgrade to me:

Comment:
He has great instincts vs. the run, will step up and fill quickly, and is not afraid to take on blocks. For a guy who tries to intimidate, he is still a good fundamental tackler, and he will do a nice job of wrapping up, rather than just making a lot of collisions. He has excellent overall range in zone schemes, and is probably better in the cover two and in zone situations than he is in man to man. He is instinctive, shows good ball skills, and does not gamble. Although his man to man skills are adequate for a strong safety, he is not overly fluid or really smooth in the hips. He is a little bit of a straight line speed guy in man to man situations. Although his speed is good, his man to man skills are not elite, and he is probably better when he is coming forward and attacking, than when he is in man to man situations.

Oh of course he's a significant upgrade. Phillips is horrible and Smith is above average. My point more than anything is Lewis' paycheck will probably be bigger than his impact. Especially considering a lot of bad teams will have plenty of cap room thanks to the new cap. Also take into account Adam Archuleta's fat paycheck for an overrated safety and I thikn Lewis is either going to stay in Philly or follow the money. His expected price (IMO) and his giving up the big play on a consistent basis just makes me think we'd be better off taking a SS in the 2nd/3rd round, paying him adequate money, and getting a player a notch below Lewis' level with MAYBE the potential to be better.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 08, 2006, 10:06:14 PM

dbt, WE are going to be one of those bad teams with plenty of money to spend.  i'd rather fill that hole with a productive vet and immediately upgrade the position then draft another young safety who will still be years behind the development of our current safeties.  safeties are the last line of defense.  you can't really hide inexperienced young guys there because offenses are going to exploit that weakness.

#28 : October 08, 2006, 10:08:01 PM

I think it's safe to say, we're the best 0-4 team out there  ;D :- :'( [banghead]

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 08, 2006, 10:31:09 PM

how to fix the defense: 

- cut booger

I am down with the plan.  I would also like to see what Winborn can do.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How to fix the Defense « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools