Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Harrington, Simms, Plummer, Grads, Schaub, Russell, Quinn? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bklynbucs11

Starter

#45 : November 26, 2006, 11:23:06 AM

Thats why I say draft Joe Thomas at all costs. Joe Thomas is a monster LT. The bUcs have never had a good OL, ever, yet some people still think it would be a bad idea to draft Joe Thomas if we had the chance

mjs you are probably right abouot that, but I dont think anyone gives them a 1st and 3rd do you? They will end up trading him for a 2nd, maybe 1st round pick

First, exactly how do you figure the BUcs have never had a good O-line? Do you not remember 1997 - 1999 with Gruber & Co?

Second, not generally to this quote but overall, why are people all over replacing Trueblood? Do you not expect rookie tackles - especially those with only half a season of starting experience, to struggle? Hell Davis had a LOT more problems with leverage last season and he was a 2nd year guy then. Trueblood has technique issues which can be corrected. I don't think his problem is a lack of effort or unwillingness to improve (ala Walker). Why not give this guy a shot? Hell Anthony Davis in his second season was worse last year and he's become by far our most consistent linemen (numbers don't lie - 2 sacks and 1 penalty is pretty damn good over 10 games at LT). So why would you really move Davis to RT and get Thomas in the draft?

This team has a lot more pressing issues - like a game-changing receiver (Joey's 35 and while I'm not ready to call CLayton a bust, I don't think he's a game-changing WR), a DT, DE, CEnter, WSLB, CB, Safety - maybe LT after that.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#46 : November 26, 2006, 11:27:37 AM

No way do the Bucs spend their high pick on O-line.  Defense wins championships and we know Monte has a great scheme with the proper players.  We need to take the best D-lineman available, pick up Briggs or June at LB, and draft a safety in the early 2nd round (there are a lot of safeties out there this year).  Also picking up Nate Clements would be great too.

gone

Hall of Famer
#47 : November 26, 2006, 03:43:10 PM

Thats why I say draft Joe Thomas at all costs. Joe Thomas is a monster LT. The bUcs have never had a good OL, ever, yet some people still think it would be a bad idea to draft Joe Thomas if we had the chance

mjs you are probably right abouot that, but I dont think anyone gives them a 1st and 3rd do you? They will end up trading him for a 2nd, maybe 1st round pick

First, exactly how do you figure the BUcs have never had a good O-line? Do you not remember 1997 - 1999 with Gruber & Co?

Second, not generally to this quote but overall, why are people all over replacing Trueblood? Do you not expect rookie tackles - especially those with only half a season of starting experience, to struggle? Hell Davis had a LOT more problems with leverage last season and he was a 2nd year guy then. Trueblood has technique issues which can be corrected. I don't think his problem is a lack of effort or unwillingness to improve (ala Walker). Why not give this guy a shot? Hell Anthony Davis in his second season was worse last year and he's become by far our most consistent linemen (numbers don't lie - 2 sacks and 1 penalty is pretty damn good over 10 games at LT). So why would you really move Davis to RT and get Thomas in the draft?

This team has a lot more pressing issues - like a game-changing receiver (Joey's 35 and while I'm not ready to call CLayton a bust, I don't think he's a game-changing WR), a DT, DE, CEnter, WSLB, CB, Safety - maybe LT after that.

Hopefully Muir is gone soon.  With proper coaching Trueblood could be a beast.  He has the tools to be great.  People here just forget that rookies typically don't do great.  And with Muir coaching he hasn't had a fair chance..

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#48 : November 26, 2006, 04:38:20 PM

Gradkowski does have the tools to make it as a starter, people will overlook this but coming into yesterdays game....
Gradkowski 9 TDs : 4 INTs
Romo 8 TDs : 5 INTs

Break that down game by game and tell me Grad's is even in the same universe as Romo right now?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#49 : November 26, 2006, 05:04:36 PM

Gradkowski does have the tools to make it as a starter, people will overlook this but coming into yesterdays game....

Break that down game by game and tell me Grad's is even in the same universe as Romo right now?

RJ * MJS are some kida stat rainmen. They can come up with crap to support any premise. Watch the damn game & there's really no question who's better. And Grads DOES NOT look great in the game.

gone

Hall of Famer
#50 : November 27, 2006, 02:45:50 AM

Romo's a 4th year QB getting his first starts, and he's playing like one should play.  He's in a good situation with great recievers, a solid running game, solid defense.
Grads is a rookie QB starting due to injury, and he's playing like one should play.  He's in a bad situation with mediocre at best recievers, a poor running game, and an awful defense.

Trying to compare those stats to make Grads look better than Romo is pretty sad though guys.  He had 4 starts compared to Bruce's 7, so of course his TD's weren't going to be up there.  And three of those INT's came in one game that he didnt start.

Given the difference in experience and situation, comparing the two is pointless. 

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#51 : November 27, 2006, 02:52:00 AM

I heard tonite that Denver is going to start Jay Cutler next game & that he's really good. What college is he out of again?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#52 : November 27, 2006, 07:42:59 AM

Romo's a 4th year QB getting his first starts, and he's playing like one should play. He's in a good situation with great recievers, a solid running game, solid defense.

I agree that comparing the two is pointless, but I think you are selling Romo a bit short.  The dude leads the league in passer rating (110.8 ), which is a lot better than you can expect than 99.9% of anybody playing their first year, even those that have been on the bench developing.  Sure, the guy has good tools on his team, but those were the same guys helping Bledsoe look mediocre.  Romo is everything Grads wishes he could be when he grows up.  They have very similar characteristics, but Romo looks light years better.  Hopefully Bruce can look the same by year 4.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#53 : November 27, 2006, 07:44:55 AM

I heard tonite that Denver is going to start Jay Cutler next game & that he's really good. What college is he out of again?

Vanderbilt

skip

Starter

#54 : November 27, 2006, 12:08:37 PM

Its inexcusable to go into a season without a decent back-up quarterback. Lets hope that will not happen again. If McCown was the guy then why is he not getting snaps now? If it is because of injury then why has he been activated? I say lets have a look at McCown, what have we got to lose? Its obvious to me that we can't win with Grakowski.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#55 : November 27, 2006, 12:11:06 PM

Its inexcusable to go into a season without a decent back-up quarterback. Lets hope that will not happen again. If McCown was the guy then why is he not getting snaps now? If it is because of injury then why has he been activated? I say lets have a look at McCown, what have we got to lose? Its obvious to me that we can't win with Grakowski.

Well you are obviously a far better judge of talent than coach Gruden, because he still sees some upside in Grads.  Maybe you should email your resume over to the Glazer's, you never know you could be the HC next year.   :P

I actually agree we need a veteran back-up and McCown should get at least a couple of games this season.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#56 : November 27, 2006, 12:19:28 PM

Seriously, I'm sick of people throwing out stats.......Tony Romo is 10 x's the QB that Gradkowski is, that was effident on thursday. Enough stats, they blur the koolaid sunglasses many are wearing.

Gradkowski is engineering the 31st worst scoring offense in the NFL. We score .9 more points a game than the Raiders and the Browns out score us by 3 a game. Gradkowski has done what, not thrown a pick??? In the meantime he can't score and has done little if any to show that he can gradually elevate his game.

Baghead #2

DBuc

Second String

#57 : November 27, 2006, 12:19:43 PM

You guys are too quick to judge on Grads...He is a rookie for gosh sakes!  By the way, wasn't the team real high on Luke as well?  Before he got hurt?   We have some nice young prospects...what we need is a vet is case the young guys are not cutting it...Remember Drew Brees...too small, average arm...etc...Give these guys time!  Grads has shown alot more than most quarterbacks there first time out...and alot of guys have been accused of being weak armed, etc and went on to have great careers...By the way, stop comparing Simms to Grads...Simms is in his fourth year and was awful to start the season...

DBuc

Second String

#58 : November 27, 2006, 12:40:46 PM

Design an offense to fit Simms' skills?  You mean one that does not require you to have to throw the ball over the line of scrimmage?  Guys, not all of Simm's batted balls and picks came from 3-5 step drops.  He telegraphs his passes, his delivery is slow... He is 6'4...he should be able to get the ball over the line of scrimmage. 

I am not saying Simms can not develop into a good quarterback down the line...but an NFL quarterback must be able to make passes and decisions in all sorts of different situations...Who wants a quarterback that can only throw a couple of different passes?  At least Grads deserves the benefit of the doubt as he is a rookie, has connected on deep balls (he had quite a few dropped), and needs time to learn the offense, his receivers and the pace of the NFL. 

The argument for Simms reminds me of the people who used to always say the Jeff George would be perfect for a certain system.  The history of the league is full of quarterbacks who can throw a beautiful deep ball but do not much else...It is also full of qb's with average arms, smarts, toughness and mobility who have made it big... I will take the latter...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Harrington, Simms, Plummer, Grads, Schaub, Russell, Quinn? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools