Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons pursuing Pete Carroll « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 09, 2008, 01:16:23 PM

He's the King of Los Angeles and living the good life rubbing elbows with the beautiful people out there. He doesn't have to recruit much as top players will come to him and he's competitive year after year. He has total control there, the weather's great and no pressure that I can think of. Why would you want to leave that for a cesspool like Atlanta.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#16 : January 09, 2008, 01:21:32 PM

Why?

Part ownership?

Money?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 09, 2008, 01:54:00 PM

Interesting to note that Carroll was the DC under Monte Kiffin at NC State for three years. Carroll has a ton of experience as a defensive coordinator at the NFL level. In fact I'd say that he has more experience in the NFL than so many current NFL coaches.

How can anyone say he's not a good fit for NFL - because Spurrier, Petrino, and others weren't?
He was the head coach of the NFL's New England Patriots for 3 seasons (1997-99) and New York Jets for 1 year (1994). He guided the Patriots into the playoffs in his first 2 seasons, winning the AFC Eastern Division title at 10-6 in 1997 and advancing to the second round of the playoffs, then posting a 9-7 regular season mark in 1998. His overall record in New England was 27-21 in the regular season (including 8-8 in 1999) and 1-2 in the playoffs. He owns the franchise's second-best winning percentage (54.9%).

You do realize why PC was fired right? If they did not fire PC becuase he was "good enough" as you believe BB does not come along.  PC was not a good pro coach becuase the players tuned him out that is why he was canned.

PC squeezed what ever was left of an aging team that Parcells left behind.   Sure some things PC did not have control over (salary cap mess Parcell's left behind, Kraft's influence in football operations, Robert Edwards freak accident).

But at the end of the day he did not have the ability to coach at the pro level as an HC. 

lambertjr

Rookie

#18 : January 09, 2008, 02:30:16 PM

I highly doubt Carrol will leave SoCal. He's at a top 10 program w/ a deep and talented recruiting area.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 09, 2008, 02:49:40 PM

He's the King of Los Angeles and living the good life rubbing elbows with the beautiful people out there. He doesn't have to recruit much as top players will come to him and he's competitive year after year. He has total control there, the weather's great and no pressure that I can think of. Why would you want to leave that for a cesspool like Atlanta.

QFT

If he goes anywhere, it'll be because he is handed the keys to a franchise re: player decisions. Otherwise, as TBT says, he's in the perfect head coaching situation right now.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 09, 2008, 03:01:53 PM

Carroll is interested:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 09, 2008, 03:23:28 PM

Carroll is interested:

I think he's more interested in the attention than the position.

ANGRY PIRATE

Starter

#22 : January 09, 2008, 03:24:34 PM

Carroll is interested:

Carroll is interested:

I'm sure he is interested................. in getting a paybump from USC

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 09, 2008, 03:54:57 PM

He's had opportunities before and said no.

He's in a perfect spot right now and could probably coach there as long as he wants to. Why would he want to go back to the high pressure of the NFL and no job security? Would you? One HC job he had in the NFL lasted only 1 year.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 09, 2008, 07:30:39 PM

Carroll is interested:

Carroll is interested:

I'm sure he is interested................. in getting a paybump from USC
Carrol is in a unique position. He could go coach in the pros for a couple years, bomb out like every other college coach does, and then come back to college and have his pick of college jobs there again.  So  he may be angling for a pay raise, but if his bluff is called and he does take the pro job he can just consider it a vacation from college like Saban or Spurrier.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler

#25 : January 09, 2008, 08:40:50 PM

pete ... dude ... SoCal > ATL .. u rub shoulders with hollywood a-listers. u r a legend in LA -- where sports typically rots. 10 more years at USC, 1 more Nat Champ, and u will go down as one of the best ever.

i'm sure stupider things have happened than pete leaving USC for ATL .. but i can't think of any.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#26 : January 10, 2008, 12:48:45 AM

Falcons could do much worse. Carroll has a lot more experience in NFL than Petrino, Spurrier, Saban, and other coaches that came from college ball.   He won a Division and a few playoff games.  Even Belicheck was fired once, and now is a HoF coach. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Falcons pursuing Pete Carroll « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools