Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: State of the Buccaneers QB's « previous next »
Page: 1 2

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

: January 15, 2008, 08:31:36 AM

JP Losman for a Conditional 4.

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#1 : January 15, 2008, 08:15:24 AM

What is McCown's biggest problem???  He takes to many sacks!!! Can they work on this. I think so. He could be a good QB for the bucs.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 11, 2008, 06:54:15 PM

Welcome to the off-season, Bucs fans. Figured it is time to get to the business at hand, we're moving on to the first step, of the process leading up to free agency, which starts March 3: Roster breakdowns, We will breakdown each position and give only wild butt opinion as we can, full of non truths and plenty of rumors.

So here goes folks, is the first posting of what will likely be at least 13 such posts in a series we'll call "State of the Bucs Roster". We'll start the discussions off with - what else - the quarterback position. Keep in mind the following: this exercise isn't entirely about talents and strengths/weaknesses as much as it is about status, usage and growth potential. This is a tool to help us predict/determine what the best plan of attack is for the Bucs this off-season as they attempt to build on the playoff roster from 2007.

Here's a breakdown of Bucs current five quarterbacks under contract:

Jeff Garcia : while he lead the team to a playoff game in 2007 his age is not conducive to long term ability, with that being said what he brings to the offense is leadership, understanding of the complex west coast scheme and a tough guy mentality.  Two of which can not be learned or taught.

Luke McCown : While green behind the ears, McCown showed glimpses of what could be given the opportunity for more playing time. Has good arm strength, mobility and makes things happen with his feet. What he doesnt seem to have is the understanding that he has to take what defenses give him and pick and choose when it is best to attack down field. Needs to learn to throw the football away instead of taking sacks and give up yardage.

Bruce Gradkowski : Still has not progressed as the coaching staff would have liked. Doesnt show touch on the deep ball, seems to get rattled when things are breaking down around him.

Chris Simms : After sitting out the entire season recovering from a spleen injury in 2006, nothing is going to change with Simms he still has a slow release and is not suited to be in a west coast system. Needs to be in a deep passing attack that will allow him to setup and scan the field.

Jake Plummer : After trading a conditional pick to the Broncos in the 2007 off-season it turns out that Plummer still prefers a different type of ball. Of course that wont keep Gruden from flying out in the over of darkness to convince Plummer that he is his guy.

Off-Season Outlook
Clearly, the Bucs are still looking for that franchise qb, but at this point the teams needs to draft one and develop one rather then using retreads. Garica while he wants to finish his career as a Buc that would mean a contract extension, not sure a 37 year old qb needs to be getting a long term deal. The team doesnt have much choice considering what is on the roster, But if Matt Ryan of Boston College should fall to the bottom of the first round the teams needs to consider drafting him.

Possible additions: cheap, veteran backup / franchise type draft pick
Possible subtractions: Simms / Plummer / Gradkowski

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 11, 2008, 07:05:23 PM

FWIW, why draft a QB, when IMO you still don't know what you have in McCown and Gradkowski...

You must be accountable for your actions!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 11, 2008, 07:08:03 PM

Gradkowski wont be here next season, Simms doesnt fit the offensive scheme, Plummer for what ever reason doesnt want to play football anymore, Garcia is 37 going on 38 and McCown while he showed some things needs alot of work. So the team still doesnt not have a future at qb

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 11, 2008, 07:20:09 PM

McCown while he showed some things needs alot of work. So the team still doesnt not have a future at qb

Matt Ryan would need just as much work...if not more...if he were drafted in the first round.  Ryan would have to learn the offense, he would probably pick it up quicker than most because he is an extremely intelligent guy.

I'm just not completely sold on Ryan.  He has the size and strength.  His accuracy was inconsistent, as was his play over the entire season.  He didn't play as well against better teams...through a whole lot of interceptions.  He also doesn't have the mobility that McCown does.

I believe that we should use our First Rounder on a WR/DT/CB.  We can find a third-string QB in the later rounds.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 11, 2008, 07:38:59 PM

An unconvincing argument made for selecting a franchise qb - first not a great qb draft, second - while older Garcia is pretty good, McCown is a good back up - and third - I am watching for Plummer.  Maybe a FA qb shows up - or a later pick if Coach and GM feel he is worth a shot - but not a franchise guy...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

J#$T!N

Practice Squad

#7 : January 11, 2008, 07:41:39 PM

The State of the QB's... Ummm, Houston we have a problem...

A Pessimist is what an Optimist calls a Realist, and I'm as Real as they come...

Bucs Bowl

Starter

#8 : January 11, 2008, 07:43:54 PM

Plummer -- When will this die! He's been out a year. He Won't play again!
Simms -- Major Potential (Potential doesn't count for anything) He will be Gone!
Gradkowski -- Just Flat out Sucks. Noodle arm can't get the ball down field.

Garcia / McCown / Draft another young talented guy to groom!

J#$T!N

Practice Squad

#9 : January 11, 2008, 07:47:51 PM

Plummer -- When will this die! He's been out a year. He Won't play again!
Simms -- Major Potential (Potential doesn't count for anything) He will be Gone!
Gradkowski -- Just Flat out Sucks. Noodle arm can't get the ball down field.

Garcia / McCown / Draft another young talented guy to groom!
Dennis Dixon in one of the latter rounds... ;)

A Pessimist is what an Optimist calls a Realist, and I'm as Real as they come...

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 11, 2008, 08:05:03 PM

That is the problem is most fans want name guys, what about Josh Johnson in the later rounds as he has played in  a west coast scheme and has done rather well in it.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 11, 2008, 08:21:15 PM

You have heard very little coming out about the Plummer legal situation pretty much for the entire 2nd half of the season at least.  I think that Allen and Plummer have already made a secret agreement that he will come back and play.  Plummer didn't retire in the first place because he wanted to retire.  He retired because he didn't get released so he could play in Houston.  Only after that did he become the mountain man searching for truth in the wilds of Idaho. 

So its Garcia #1, Plummer #2 and McCown #3 going into camp.  Gradkowski would be a decent 3rd string QB if there was somehow room for him.  He will come to camp and fight it out and hope somebody gets injured. 

Drafting a QB?  Why?  Gruden is already tutoring McCown.  He doesn't need another guy to tute.  There is absolutely no way that the  Bucs would use a first round pick on a QB at #20 when Garcia is clearly the #1 guy.  If we had a top five pick and could get a Ryan type of player that would be different.  Ryan isn't going to fall 20. He is top ten at the bare minimum. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 11, 2008, 08:26:26 PM

That is the problem is most fans want name guys, what about Josh Johnson in the later rounds as he has played in a west coast scheme and has done rather well in it.

I can see something like that happening - more likely than trying to get a UT, WR, or DE later

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

nitey

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 11, 2008, 08:37:22 PM

I think Garcia is the QB in 2008 - but IMO Garcia is only the type of QB that can get you to the dance. He's not going to be a deciding factor once there for a number of reasons. First, age is against him. He may be one tough SOB, but he takes far to many hits and the odds of him being healthy in the playoffs are slim. In fact, we just saw a reasonably well rested Garcia enter the playoffs and he really was no factor. Yes, I will admit that he needs some more playmakers around him but you can't fight the fact that his body doesn't take the pounding of a 16 game schedule like it used to and his body needs more time to recover. Like Johnson, his game will fade soon - perhaps this season. Second, arm strength, while better than advertised it got worse as the season wore on to the point that he couldn't hit the same zipcode with Galloway late in the season. Again, I think that was a age thing. Garcia will never get us past the 1st round of the playoffs (and I would love to eat those words!).

McCown is our next best bet, but I won't feel comfortable with him until he learns to get rid of the ball when plays break down. I like his arm strength and his mobility but his decision making is very suspect at this time. Might be our short term solution as soon as this season. The thing that I do like about McCown is his ability to make the offense dangerous - however, I would prefer to limit the danger to only the opposing team.

Simms is in the wrong system and Grads is regressing - both should be gone before the season starts one way or another. As to Plummer, I'm not sure his ship has sailed or not but if the Bucs need to go into this March the same way they did last March. Get the best QB fit that's available. IMO that QB is McNabb who I think would thrive in Gruden's system. If Plummer reports, then let'm fight it out - best QB wins and the Bucs will be better for it.

As far as drafting a QB - Gruden hasn't had any success with the last 2 QB he drafted and we have limited choices this year. I'm against using a draft choice to someone that will sit the bench for 2-4 seasons while we still have a need for playmakers on the team. There are plenty of QB's that are available each March as FA that Gruden can play with. I would be VERY upset if we used one of our top 4 choices on a QB while we have such a strong need for playmakers on the offense. Just say NO to drafting a QB!

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 11, 2008, 08:42:07 PM

Garcia is the type that could play 2-3 more years - body type and mentality - esp if the Oline can get to a little better than average.  Agree with the rest - sooner or later someone is gonna find the phrase that lets McCown get rid of the damn ball and then he is a good back up. 

I could see Josh Johnson type in the later rounds though - from what I have read - did some checking bc Yucc is so high on him - he is a definite maybe. 

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: State of the Buccaneers QB's « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools