Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: State of the Buccaneers QB's « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dodda45

Starter
#15 : January 11, 2008, 08:48:42 PM

I would not be surprised to see Plummer come back...If not, take a flyer on a QB in the later rounds...not the first round.  I like what I have seen in McCown and Garcia played well.  We need to see how much better they will be with more weapons around them.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#16 : January 11, 2008, 09:15:33 PM

We need a QB, that has Mobility a good arm, and smarts, Garcia gives us 2 of the 3, but his arm falls short and seems to get worse at the end of the season, maybe his age caught up to him, but his arm (which was never that strong to beging with) was dead in the last few games and he had nothing left.
I don't think it matters who we get as QB, a good defense, a good coach and average preperation and game planning seems to be more than enough to make our offense a joke, until we change that we will continue to make horrible showings in the playoffs.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 11, 2008, 10:05:18 PM

We need a QB, that has Mobility a good arm, and smarts, Garcia gives us 2 of the 3, but his arm falls short and seems to get worse at the end of the season, maybe his age caught up to him, but his arm (which was never that strong to beging with) was dead in the last few games and he had nothing left.
I don't think it matters who we get as QB, a good defense, a good coach and average preperation and game planning seems to be more than enough to make our offense a joke, until we change that we will continue to make horrible showings in the playoffs.

This was supposedly one of the reasons Philly let him go.  His arm (supposedly) was fading there as well after half a season.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 11, 2008, 11:32:17 PM

I'm torn... while I want to see a true "franchise" QB drafted, I also think McCown may be good enough. I guess it's a question of the team seeing that true superstar potential in a QB and investing, i.e. Ryan, Brohm, etc. A lot also depends upon Gruden and Allen's stability here. I think an extension means a higher likelihood of a gamble like drafting a QB high and grooming him. Then again, IMO our only true needs (DT, C (Buenning?), WR) can be filled in FA and for that reason we may be able to take a shot on a QB w/ potential regardless.

One thing is for sure, and that's that 1) Gradz almost surely won't be here, 2) Simms will be traded or cut. So I think we get new blood of some sort, it's just a matter of how.

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 11, 2008, 11:44:57 PM

Well hopefully we will still have Garcia here for another 2 years; but at some point we have got to put an end to all this quarterback recycling that has been going on for many years through the Gruden, Dungy, and Sam Wyche eras(we've had what - 10 starting QB's in 12 years).

Pull the trigger in this draft and try and wheel and deal to get Ryan from BC or someone of that caliber, so that we can finally get a QB in here to grow & develop that will be a long term solution to this ongoing problem.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 12, 2008, 08:44:26 AM

>> so that we can finally get a QB in here to grow & develop that will be a long term solution to this ongoing problem. <<

Chrispy, we HAVE attempted to do exactly that:

Bucs have spent high draft choices on Testaverde and Difer - both were top 5 picks. More recently we spent a 3rd on Simms and a 6th on Grads. It's not as if we haven't spend high draft picks on QB's in the past. Also, I did a research project a few years back with Dalbuc and we looked at the results of player positions in the 1st round. Quarterbacks had the worse percentage of success over the last 20 years from 2004 to 1984 - something like 30% that you get a good or successful QB in the first round. The most successful position to take in the 1st round was a LB as they had something like a 92% success rate.

I also don't feel that Jon is a good tutor for a young QB (which is why they brought in Hackett) - now with Hackett unsigned and with the potential to go elsewhere every year (he seems to like 1 year contracts) is it really a good idea to draft some one that Gruden will probably dismiss in a few years because he gets a vet that he likes better? Gruden is a 'veteran QB' coach. Any draft pick spent on a QB will be a waste - JMO.  We are far better off looking at players that have 5-6 years in the league, still have the abilities that we want and the smarts to absorb Gruden's playbook.

I have complete lack of faith that Gruden can develop a young QB as our franchise QB of the future.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 13, 2008, 08:54:41 AM

Luke is only 26 and has about 4 or 5 years till he is a seasoned enough Qb for Gruden!! In all honest with the little playing time he has had in 4 years in the leauge (like 8 total starts and some relief work) with the right Qb coach and more reps and playing time he will only get better and can be the Bucs Qb of the future.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 13, 2008, 11:02:17 AM

First of all, Yucc- extremely perceptive about Garcia 37 going on 38 ;)
I also feel Garcia is nearing the end and am concerned about his arm strength fading down the stretch.  Could offer him a 3 yr deal w/option for 3rd yr or better said DON't pay him all up front.  After alot of McCown bashing by me, I DO think he can be our future.  As someone mentioned, McCown gives our offense some explosive qualities, big-play, down the field aspects that Garcia just doesn't have.
It will be interesting to see how much McCown learned.  Love his mobility and arm strength, hope he can improve his decision-making, or better said, speed up his decsion making.  Our need at DT, WR and CB far outweigh drafting a QB on the first day, IMO.  Still think Plummer may have some value and listen to this scenario.
Nolan and Alex Smith do not see eye to eye in SF, maybe we can work a deal, assuming Plummer agrees, that would send Plummer and player/pick to SF for Alex Smith, who IMO would be the perfect replacement for Garcia. Never know ::)

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 13, 2008, 11:19:13 AM

As far as drafting a QB - Gruden hasn't had any success with the last 2 QB he drafted and we have limited choices this year. I'm against using a draft choice to someone that will sit the bench for 2-4 seasons while we still have a need for playmakers on the team. There are plenty of QB's that are available each March as FA that Gruden can play with. I would be VERY upset if we used one of our top 4 choices on a QB while we have such a strong need for playmakers on the offense. Just say NO to drafting a QB!

In Gruden's defense, Chris Simms was not his choice and it has been widely reported that he was against picking Simms, but McKay drafted him any way. Its probably why he's been so hard on the kid.

His other draft pick was Gradkowski, a second day pick...not everyone gets Tom Brady lucky...I don't know how you could have expected any more out of Grad's than what we've gotten. He's going to be a career backup.

I think I saw enough in Luke McCown to have hope for him in the future. Yes, he made some dumb decisions, but decision making comes with experience. He's got speed, he's got an arm, and he's accurate. If Gruden and Hackett can get his mind right, Luke could be a player for the Buccaneers.

With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to take a flyer on Dennis Dixon or Andre Woodson (if he drops).

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 13, 2008, 01:10:36 PM

Testaverde was a good choice and would have done well and really panned out if they put a better team around him, Dilfer was highly touted and ontop of alot of draft lists but ended up being a horrible quarterback - and still is, Grads just flat out sucks and should never be mentioned in the same breath as "franchise QB" ever, and I like McCown but think he's only going to be good to fill in for 1-2 games and play well - but not for a whole season.

That leads me to think it's time to try and grab the biggest QB name in the draft and do whatever we have to to get him, and try and mold and groom this guy to be a LONG TERM solution ala' Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Rothliesberger, etc. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 15, 2008, 09:44:56 AM

JP Losman

The guy who got beat out by Trent Edwards?  No Thanks.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 15, 2008, 09:57:32 AM

I want to see more of the qb crop for '08 but at the moment I like yucc's idea and candidate...  Josh Johnson is more than interesting - and it is beyond time for the buccs to get lucky when drafting a qb - odds are in their favor....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: State of the Buccaneers QB's « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools