Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Valero Rips Gruden/Bucs on Way Out the Door « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

: January 14, 2008, 11:54:59 AM

The NFL is more like 1987 and every team is a Delorean. When it runs it goes fast but there are so few spare parts laying around you better hope you don't need to use one....

And dbuc - I like the question about how Caddy and Clayton would have performed with - oh I don't know - Garcia maybe?

Yep bet the seasons would have been different.

On to next year...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 14, 2008, 12:20:00 PM

Don't agree with the lack of good minds.

The four drafts weren't all wrong - not as right as I would have liked... but that is nothing new.

The biggest deal is the loss of Brad without a backup that could step in at an NFL average level.  It is said the NFL is a players league - but on O it is a QB's league - and then a team still has needs for skill positions and a viable Oline.  Just can't measure the other areas without an average QB and get real answers.

As the HC it always falls on them - in reality - you gotta have the horses... and with it all - loss of picks, cap crap and the loss of the (IMVHO) only NFL average qb the franchise has ever had until Garcia ... well it has been hard... and the buc does stop on his desk.  

That is why I mention a 6th round qb who makes a so-so HC look like a HOFer... so frequently...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#2 : January 14, 2008, 12:17:00 PM

Gruden would have killed Tom Brady... It is very simple. Gruden would have taken Brady right back out for Bledsoe.

It is very simple...very Simple-Minded. You never fail me, Ghost.

So you don't think that Gruden would have put Bledsoe back in as soon as he was healthy? Gruden believes a QB under 35 is far too stupid to understand his great offense.
Wow! Thanks for the insight Ghost. I always wondered why we dumped a perfectly good starting QB in his early thirties (B. Griese) for a twenty-something youngster (C. Simms).
And it also explains going with a rookie (Grads) over a neverwas (Rattay). Now I know how Gruden's mind works. Thanks and a hat tip.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 14, 2008, 12:15:19 PM

Same old song, Ghost....keep changing that ridiculous sig of your as it is constantly proven incorrect.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#4 : January 14, 2008, 12:09:57 PM

I will pull this one out and say Brady would be good for anyone who has a offensive mind on staff - and great if you let him play. 

Ok.. so this version of "offense" isn't dead, well then it does speak volumes about Grudens understanding of it and his knowledge of bringing in the correct young players to run this offense. So.. either the offense is dead or Gruden doesn't know how to select the correct players for the offense.

Or can't get the players for it - it is a qb's and wr offense - have needed them but for different reasons could not get them.  And you know this.  If you can get them for the buccs call them -
We don't have a good offensive mind on our staff. Like I said, the Bucs have had 4 drafts to get this offense straight and the offensive players have done nothing but regress, whether it is Gruden picking the wrong guys or employing the wrong offensive assistants, I don't know. But there is something wrong and it falls on Gruden.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 14, 2008, 12:03:31 PM

So you don't think that Gruden would have put Bledsoe back in as soon as he was healthy? Gruden believes a QB under 35 is far too stupid to understand his great offense.

No...but I'm not hung up on Gruden like you are.  Most NFL head coaches would have stuck with Brady...you don't bench the hot hand.  See Todd Collins and Jason Campbell.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 14, 2008, 11:56:43 AM

The NFL is more like 1987 and every team is a Delorean. When it runs it goes fast but there are so few spare parts laying around you better hope you don't need to use one....

And dbuc - I like the question about how Caddy and Clayton would have performed with - oh I don't know - Garcia maybe?

Yep bet the seasons would have been different.

On to next year...

Have yet to see an offense run without at least an NFL average qb - closest I can recall was Joe Capp of the Vikings... yes I am that old...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 14, 2008, 11:57:08 AM

Gruden would have killed Tom Brady... It is very simple. Gruden would have taken Brady right back out for Bledsoe.

rpp224

Starter

#8 : January 14, 2008, 11:57:59 AM

I will say I love your optimism.. but I have visions of 2006 stuck in my head.. the team going backwards after lucking into a playoff game. I still have seen nothing from the young players at the skill positions to keep me interested in seeing Gruden as the head coach.
Lucking into a playoff game? I don't think clinching the division with 2 games left on the season would be considered luck. Bucs did not need to rely on other teams to lose in getting in like other teams did.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 14, 2008, 11:59:42 AM

It is very simple...very Simple-Minded.  You never fail me, Ghost.

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 14, 2008, 11:59:58 AM

Ok.. so this version of "offense" isn't dead, well then it does speak volumes about Grudens understanding of it and his knowledge of bringing in the correct young players to run this offense. So.. either the offense is dead or Gruden doesn't know how to select the correct players for the offense.

MiltonMack21

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 14, 2008, 12:00:55 PM

It is very simple...very Simple-Minded.  You never fail me, Ghost.

BucNGator

Starter

#12 : January 14, 2008, 12:01:37 PM

You saw nothing from Parris Warren, Mark Jones, or Sabby??  Before they went down, I did!!

You saw nothing from Graham, McCown, Jackson, Rudd or Askew??  I did!!

You saw nothing from Penn, or Sears??  I did!!  (I could go on, and on....... this IS a young team, and to reach the playoffs is a helluva accomplishment.)

I'm sure you'll get your "flashy WR" in FA, if that's what you're alluding to........

Sure the '08 schedule is tougher........ but I'd venture to say, as of right now, the toughest teams are at  RJS, and Gruden SHOULD be held accountable to progress with this group, not regress!!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 14, 2008, 12:02:02 PM

Now that one was pulled directly out of your behind...  There is no basis for such a statement - and I think he could have done wonders for a qb with Bledsoe's skills - but ruin Brady - nope.  Brady is a young Gannon with more skills - incredibly smart, great listener, and does his job...  No - I will pull this one out and say Brady would be good for anyone who has a offensive mind on staff - and great if you let him play.  

Or can't get the players for it - it is a qb's and wr offense - have needed them but for different reasons could not get them.  And you know this.  If you can get them for the buccs call them -

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 14, 2008, 11:55:27 AM

Would that be the 11th commmandment or simply an opinion?  And by the way - if the o does find some way to get the weapons in place that are indeed NFL average or better at the skill positions, well this O has hummed pretty damn well with older qbs - see Oakland faders...  

Don't take that as agreement - just a thought for the day...

WOuld be great to luck into a sixth rounder who then plays well enough to get into the HOF - could make Gruden great like is has done for Belichick...

Page: 1 2 3 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Valero Rips Gruden/Bucs on Way Out the Door « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools