Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: VALERO AT ODDS WITH GRUDEN « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Lorax

Second String

#30 : January 13, 2008, 03:11:03 AM

Anybody think all mighty Gruden is a horse's backside for saying don't wear that hat again to coaches?

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 13, 2008, 03:34:36 AM

The reason these other clowns signed extensions was because they knew they weren't going get another job in the NFL. That is laughable... those guys over on the offensive side of the ball are incompetent at best.

I expected you to comment on this and quickly.  Thanks for never letting me down at taking a shot at the coaching staff and front office any chance you get.  I'm no Gruden jock swinger but if you can think of a VIABLE and BETTER replacement for him let's hear it.  Until then just shut your pie hole and go buy a new Manning jersey.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 13, 2008, 04:02:07 AM

The reason these other clowns signed extensions was because they knew they weren't going get another job in the NFL. That is laughable... those guys over on the offensive side of the ball are incompetent at best.
Given that Parcells is hiring the guys in Miami, I'd say he could get another job easy. He's a Parcells guy afterall.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#33 : January 13, 2008, 04:08:47 AM

"Well, you know that you're going to be the coordinator here." I knew right there that he was B.S.ing me. Why would you want to be a coordinator for him when he is going to call the plays? That's a paper lion, you know? That, professionally, wouldn't have done me any good.

Everyone knows that Gruden likes to call his plays. So, Art thinks the OC title is crap because he wouldn't get to call plays. Ok. Then why is he upset that he didn't get it?

And I wonder if this attitude about the position is why he never got it?

Certainly, it sounds like Valero was not treated properly by the FO. But there's two sides to every story...

Lorax

Second String

#34 : January 13, 2008, 04:15:58 AM

I expected you to comment on this and quickly. Thanks for never letting me down at taking a shot at the coaching staff and front office any chance you get. I'm no Gruden jock swinger but if you can think of a VIABLE and BETTER replacement for him let's hear it. Until then just shut your pie hole and go buy a new Manning jersey.
I don't understand your obsession with this. Ghost doesn't get paid by the team and neither do I. Others get paid to find a HC. And we don't have to know exactly who could be had to know that a change needs to happen and we need a new coach.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#35 : January 13, 2008, 08:11:30 AM

Valero has some valid points IMO.  Gruden acts the way he is being described by Valero for sure.  The one thing that is obviously hindering the Bucs from moving forward, is the abscense of an offensive coordinator; Gruden, you can't do everything...

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 13, 2008, 08:35:29 AM

nice to see that the sptimes is taking peoples comments and twisting them around so to stir up a bunch of bad publicity.

maybe valero didnt get to do his presentations or call the plays because when it came time they didnt have faith in him.
WHO KNOWS?

we know there are 2 sides to every story and our front office will not let their side out, they never do. So oh well.

Here's what we DO know.

He's mad that he didnt get to call plays.
He's mad he didnt get to make presentations.
He's mad that he didnt get the title of O.C. (which he admits is a b.s. title with Gruden so that doesnt make ANY sense at all)

So at this point, it sounds more like sour grapes than anything. The rest of the offensive assistants signed right away so they must not have issues with Gruden's personality. They all could've found jobs elsewhere... if Valero can than the rest can.

You know what you do when you have a boss that's a bad people person, you develop thick skin and adapt. Fine, he wanted to move on, but why put your name out there in a 'keyshawn' way. He's made himself look bad and he better do a good job b/c if he gets fired, he's gonna bounce around the rest of his careers as nothing more than a RB coach.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 13, 2008, 09:15:49 AM

great article SR.  Maybe one of the better pieces you've written since i've been a subscriber.  I think Valero's own words punch holes in his feud with Gruden and Allen.  If it was so bad, why did he sign an extension?  Supposedly, they "rushed" him in to signing it.  What the hell? Is he an old lady being conned at a used car dealership? he is a grown man isn't he? He knew what he was getting into. If he is so tight with Rod and Linehan then he should have known that he a shot at jobs with them assuming they were hired.  But he signed the extension, knowing full well the team's philosophy on keeping assistants.  That is sour grapes.

He is correct in the sense that being an OC under gruden is a paper lion ( no playcalling duties). it is really telling, however, that he admits both Edwards and Marinelli had greater responsibilities as assistant head coaches then he did.  Not to mention the fact that he apparently has a library of prepared speeches and presentations that Gruden obviously didn't feel that Valero was competent enough to give.    It is well documented that Gruden trusted Rod to address the team and give motivational speeches and presentations.  Obviously if Gruden feels you're up to the task (Edwards & Rod) he'll delegate some of his HC duties to the assistant HC.  If he doesn't (Valero) then you just get to coach your position group. 

Yes, gruden could have handled the coyer thing better but in the end, he isn't intentionally trying to screw the guy's career.  he apparently didn't think Valero could handle the additional responsibility.  its his right as the HC to make those calls.  Frankly, Valero is really burning his bridges by running his mouth like this.  coaching is a fraternity.  you could go to any team, pro or college, and play the six degrees of separation game to link coaches.  who knows how long valero has a job in STL.  What if Linehan is canned and Valero with him?  valero may be costing himself future job opportunities. 

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 13, 2008, 09:20:10 AM

I want to apologize to Art Valero for ripping him before I listened to his side of the story...I understand he was frustrated, but in the end he still should have kept his mouth shut and moved on...Good luck to you Art!

You must be accountable for your actions!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#39 : January 13, 2008, 10:00:40 AM

- but I wonder why Tony couldn't find a spot for him in Indy (I mean he even found a spot for Clyde Christianson)?

As his chauffeur? Butler? What position would you want Dungy to find for him next season when he's sitting at home enjoying retirement?

Enjoying retirement and "with" another Super Bowl ring!!!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 13, 2008, 10:01:29 AM

I understand he was frustrated, but in the end he still should have kept his mouth shut and moved on...

That's for sure.   Very unprofessional move on his part and a mistake.   Those comments can do nothing but hurt his career chances.   I would be willing to bet that Valero has been a source to the local media as well, he seems to like to run his mouth about team business that should be kept private.   I wish him well, but it seems better off that he's gone.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : January 13, 2008, 10:16:31 AM

I understand he was frustrated, but in the end he still should have kept his mouth shut and moved on...

That's for sure.   Very unprofessional move on his part and a mistake.   Those comments can do nothing but hurt his career chances.   I would be willing to bet that Valero has been a source to the local media as well, he seems to like to run his mouth about team business that should be kept private.   I wish him well, but it seems better off that he's gone.

He sure didn't do his career any favors with such stuff...  Of course if you absolutely hate Jon Gruden the "STUFF IS PURE GOLD JERRY"  LOL  I can just see Stroud going into a "Frothing Frenzy" over the stuff!

dodda45

Starter
#42 : January 13, 2008, 10:26:59 AM

great article SR.  Maybe one of the better pieces you've written since i've been a subscriber.  I think Valero's own words punch holes in his feud with Gruden and Allen.  If it was so bad, why did he sign an extension?  Supposedly, they "rushed" him in to signing it.  What the hell? Is he an old lady being conned at a used car dealership? he is a grown man isn't he? He knew what he was getting into. If he is so tight with Rod and Linehan then he should have known that he a shot at jobs with them assuming they were hired.  But he signed the extension, knowing full well the team's philosophy on keeping assistants.  That is sour grapes.

He is correct in the sense that being an OC under gruden is a paper lion ( no playcalling duties). it is really telling, however, that he admits both Edwards and Marinelli had greater responsibilities as assistant head coaches then he did.  Not to mention the fact that he apparently has a library of prepared speeches and presentations that Gruden obviously didn't feel that Valero was competent enough to give.    It is well documented that Gruden trusted Rod to address the team and give motivational speeches and presentations.  Obviously if Gruden feels your up to the task (Edwards & Rod) he'll delegate some of his HC duties to the assistant HC.  If he doesn't (Valero) then you just get to coach your position group. 

Yes, gruden could have handled the coyer thing better but in the end, he isn't intentionally trying to screw the guy's career.  he apparently didn't think Valero could handle the additional responsibility.  its right as the HC to make those calls.  Frankly, Valero is really burning his bridges by running his mouth like this.  coaching is a fraternity.  you could go to any team, pro or college, and play the six degrees of separation game to link coaches.  who knows how long valero have a job in STL. What if Linehan is canned and Valero with him?  valero may be costing himself future job opportunities. 

This says it all...I agree RPC

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#43 : January 13, 2008, 10:38:21 AM

You know what's funny, many folks on here wanted  Bill Parcells as their head coach in Tampa Bay. Parcells is not an easy man to work with, and I guarantee he probably has his detractors.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#44 : January 13, 2008, 10:42:21 AM

You know what's funny, many folks on here wanted  Bill Parcells as their head coach in Tampa Bay. Parcells is not an easy man to work with, and I guarantee he probably has his detractors.
Yep and a history of building teams everywhere he goes... including the Patriots, the Jets and now the Cowboys and he even left the cupboard full when he left all of those places.. unfortunately we have a guy that can't get out of his own way when drafting. Gruden is half the coach/talent evaluator Parcells is. Look for the Dolphins to get their situation turned around pretty quickly.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: VALERO AT ODDS WITH GRUDEN « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools