Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Alan Branch? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#15 : November 26, 2006, 02:21:21 AM

I've heard Branch is playing around 315, not sure if thats true or not, but it would make more sense if we were to get him. 330 isn't too much to pack on for a guy his size, but I'd like a little less if I was expecting a pass rush.

TDTB

Second String

#16 : November 26, 2006, 05:25:31 AM

For the limited amount of playing time he had Marcus Thomas put up great numbers, but he's an idiot apparently.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 26, 2006, 09:53:56 AM

I see Branch more like Wilfork than Seymour to be honest.  Just like Wilfork, Branch moves well for a player of his size and could excell in a two gap scheme or a one gap scheme. 

Playing undertackle is about leverage and quickness.  Both qualities Branch has shown.  Shaun Rogers is a better example of how a similar player could play undertackle in this scheme.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#18 : November 26, 2006, 10:15:14 AM

The Guy is a quick heady player with a good motor and no appararent personel issues.  Although not in the classic mold of Sapp he would be a monster against the run, and as mentioned collapse the pocket so the qb would be forced back a step or two and into the path of the speed rushers. As you have noteicd this year the qb stepping up with impunity and avoiding the outside rush.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 26, 2006, 10:20:47 AM

The Guy is a quick heady player with a good motor and no appararent personel issues.  Although not in the classic mold of Sapp he would be a monster against the run, and as mentioned collapse the pocket so the qb would be forced back a step or two and into the path of the speed rushers. As you have noteicd this year the qb stepping up with impunity and avoiding the outside rush.

This is what Shaun Rogers does when he plays at the spot.  *Drools*

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 26, 2006, 11:31:31 AM

I see Branch more like Wilfork than Seymour to be honest. Just like Wilfork, Branch moves well for a player of his size and could excell in a two gap scheme or a one gap scheme.

Playing undertackle is about leverage and quickness. Both qualities Branch has shown. Shaun Rogers is a better example of how a similar player could play undertackle in this scheme.

agreed. i think people get too caught up in the prototype player when discussing certain positions and defensive schemes.  We all know the Bucs Cover 2 defense emphasizes speed over size, but does that mean we should never consider OLB's if they weigh more than 240?  UT's if they weigh more than 300?  CB's if they weigh above 200?  Cripes, I remember people saying we shouldn't draft DJ Williams because he was too big to play LB in our defense.  Stroud and Henderson are huge too and I'm quite sure that either could be an impact DT in our system.  There are some guys that break the mold and are big and quick.  This isn't necessarily an endorsement of Branch, I've never really watched him play.  I'm just saying i wouldn't write a guy off because he is a certain size. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 27, 2006, 08:24:11 AM

Branch or Adams would be nice.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#22 : November 27, 2006, 08:28:43 AM

The Eagles are also realizing a smallish d-line is not good anymore.  O-lineman are just bigger and bigger and are not necessarily slower.

The Bucs need a Branch-like player on the inside.  Big but athletic and quick.  Gaines Adams would be great too but I don't see the Bucs drafting top 3.  I'm guessing by the time of the draft Branch will be top 5 as his stock will rise dramatically at the combine.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16105708.htm

Trotter was asked about some of this stuff after the game. At one point, he said, "Obviously, everybody knows we're not a big defense. I think I'm bigger than every last one of our defensive ends. I don't think that's good."

It was only a little bit of an exaggeration. Trotter also said, "We've had problems the last couple of years. It dates all the way back to last year. We were having problems stopping the run, on and off. We weren't consistent. Obviously, the last few years, we had a good offense that would get up a couple of touchdowns on people and offenses would have to get out of their run game. We'll see how things play out."

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 27, 2006, 09:07:49 AM

Branch is only a junior anyway. Yes, weak DT class may intise him to come out but he will not rush the QB, stuff the run, yes.

Baghead #2

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#24 : November 27, 2006, 09:12:36 AM

You need an UT to be disruptive above all else.  To blow up the pocket.  THey don't have to get to the QB but they need to attact double teams and they need to collapse the pocket.  This guy fits that role perfectly.  And it is highly likely he will declare.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 27, 2006, 09:34:16 AM

Alan branch has about as much chance of playing the UT as you do naples. Branch is a 2 gap DT bro, anyone knowns this. He could play the other DT spot for us but no the UT.

The UT needs to be fast twitch, explosive, quick, agile, explosive....Branch is a monster run clogger.....

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 27, 2006, 09:39:14 AM

Alan branch has about as much chance of playing the UT as you do naples. Branch is a 2 gap DT bro, anyone knowns this. He could play the other DT spot for us but no the UT.

The UT needs to be fast twitch, explosive, quick, agile, explosive....Branch is a monster run clogger.....

That is what people said about Wilfork but he is capable of playing a one gap scheme too.  Branch moves very well for a player of his size (eg Russell).

An undertackle needs to be able to generate push and leverage against a one on one situation while the nose takes on the double team.  Marinelli and Henderson have Shaun Rogers playing undertackle in their scheme believe it or not so it is not far fetched as many believe.

There is no so thing as prototype build for players playing in any scheme just as long they do what the scheme asks them to do.

gypsie

Starter

#27 : November 27, 2006, 09:47:08 AM

I am a huge Michigan fan and have watched all of the games this year. While Branch is a great Dt he benifits alot from playing on what might be the best Dline in the country. Terrance Taylor the other dt makes just as many big plays but doesnt get the attention because he is only 298lbs. And Lamar woodley the De on his side might be the best end coming out this year. While Branch might be a great tackle I think anything earlier than 10-15 pick would be crazy.

GO BLUE!!!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 27, 2006, 09:49:29 AM

That is a factor no doubt but what impresses me about Branch is how well he moves for a player of his size. 

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 27, 2006, 09:51:12 AM

Could branch play UT, maybe so. I would take Okoye or Marcus Thomas over Branch at UT any day of the week.

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Alan Branch? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools