Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Alan Branch? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#30 : November 27, 2006, 09:51:48 AM

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20061118-123750-9219r.htm

"That guy just killed us," Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said after Branch obliterated the Irish offensive interior in Michigan's 47-21 victory over Notre Dame in South Bend two months ago. "He's a serious handful."
    If Branch merely held his ground in the center of the Michigan defense which is yielding just 29.9 rushing yards a game (the fewest allowed since Syracuse gave up 19.3 in 1959), his enormous frame would make him a daunting defender. The junior from Rio Rancho, N.M., routinely draws double teams from opposing offenses, leaving players like senior defensive end Woodley and linebackers David Harris (13 tackles for loss), Shawn Crable (111/2 tackles for loss) and Prescott Burgess (61/2 tackles for loss) to make plays and pad their statistical resumes.
    "Big Branch tends to attract some attention, and that makes life a little easier for the rest of us," Woodley said recently.

"The key to their front seven is Branch," Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said after the Wolverines held Wisconsin freshman sensation P.J. Hall to a season-low 54 rushing yards on 20 carries in a 27-13 victory over the Badgers earlier this season. "He really disrupts your continuity inside, whether it be the middle rush or trying to establish a decent pocket and throwing lane."

gypsie

Starter

#31 : November 27, 2006, 10:10:23 AM

That kind of makes my point the guy is a great space eater and draws alot of double teams but is not going to make alot of splash plays, is that worth a top 10 pick?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 27, 2006, 11:42:46 AM

That kind of makes my point the guy is a great space eater and draws alot of double teams but is not going to make alot of splash plays, is that worth a top 10 pick?

Yes.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#33 : November 27, 2006, 11:48:24 AM

A DT doesn't need to make splash plays.  The odds of finding another 16 sack/season DT like Sapp are extremely low.  Rather, this position is critical to the cover 2 and not just from sack numbers.  The key is disruption and forcing the QB into the path of the DE's.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#34 : November 27, 2006, 11:50:59 AM

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235240

Branch is athletic enough to play in a one gap scheme or a two gap scheme.  Branch is not an ordianry nosetackle that you can find in the 3rd/4th round or late in day two (Eg Anthony Bryant).   Branch moves very well for a player of his size and if he has a good combine he is a lock to be a top ten player.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 27, 2006, 11:57:10 AM

Someone mentioned that he has the frame of a John Henderson. Is this supposed to be a critique? Because JOhn Henderson is on a very short list of best DT's in the league. He's not perfect with technique - but I think technique can be taught. YOu can't teach someone to be 6'6, 331 and have the speed of Branch. I don't think Julius Peppers, or Mario Williams, or even Simeon Rice for that matter, necessarily have the best technique of any DE in teh league. I think Strahan has better technique, but those guys are as good becaue they are physically superior athletes.

I won't complain about Adams - but BRanch is a monster.

Certainly not a critique.  Henderson is awsome.  My point is just that we shouldn't draft a DT that doesn't fit our scheme just becuase we need a DT.  If the guy can play UT for us and he's the best player available then great!  I just don't know enough about the guy.  That's why I asked the question.

gypsie

Starter

#36 : November 27, 2006, 01:23:15 PM

I know its a cliche but if we do end up in the 7-10 range we should just trade down and pick up some extra picks(God knows we need them). Restock our depth on defense.

I would love to get Branch just not with a top 10 pick. How many dt's taken in the top 10 picks have paned out in the last 10 years.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#37 : November 27, 2006, 01:26:24 PM

I know its a cliche but if we do end up in the 7-10 range we should just trade down and pick up some extra picks(God knows we need them). Restock our depth on defense.

I would love to get Branch just not with a top 10 pick. How many dt's taken in the top 10 picks have paned out in the last 10 years.

Yeah it seems to be about 50/50 with DT's.  Stroud and Henderson are great, Sims and Haynesworth not so much.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#38 : November 27, 2006, 09:04:35 PM

We're 6th in the draft right now:

OAK 2-9
DET 2-9
ARZ 2-9
HOU 3-8
CLE 3-8
TAM 3-8

Picking 6th means most of our Adams, Thomas, Johnson, Quinn dreams aren't gonna happen. Given the fact that we play ATL, PIT and CLE we're gonna pick up another win somewhere I guess.

1, I wouldn't count out the Bucs losing out. ATL has already beaten us nicely. Pittsburgh will probably be able to shut down our offense with ease and they can run well when they want to. Their DBs aren't that great but Grads isn't able to expose ANYONE'S back 4 weakness. Cleveland is a toss up, but tough climate.

Two, I still hold out hope for Adams, even if it is biased. Quinn, Johnson, Thomas are pretty much locks IMO to go top 3 especially with those teams picking top 3. Houston and Cleveland could look to Peterson and Lynch to shore up their RB problems. Branch with a good combine too, could be a nice piece to Cleveland's defensive puzzle. I'm pretty sure if Peterson is there, Houston will make it up to their fans for not getting Bush and take him. Or at least, I hope thats the way it would work out.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#39 : November 27, 2006, 09:07:01 PM

DBTB, wouldn't that be funny that they(Houston) passed on Bush, AND Young, and draft a RB from Oklahoma?

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#40 : November 27, 2006, 09:20:52 PM

We're 6th in the draft right now:

OAK 2-9
DET 2-9
ARZ 2-9
HOU 3-8
CLE 3-8
TAM 3-8

Picking 6th means most of our Adams, Thomas, Johnson, Quinn dreams aren't gonna happen. Given the fact that we play ATL, PIT and CLE we're gonna pick up another win somewhere I guess.

1, I wouldn't count out the Bucs losing out. ATL has already beaten us nicely. Pittsburgh will probably be able to shut down our offense with ease and they can run well when they want to. Their DBs aren't that great but Grads isn't able to expose ANYONE'S back 4 weakness. Cleveland is a toss up, but tough climate.

Two, I still hold out hope for Adams, even if it is biased. Quinn, Johnson, Thomas are pretty much locks IMO to go top 3 especially with those teams picking top 3. Houston and Cleveland could look to Peterson and Lynch to shore up their RB problems. Branch with a good combine too, could be a nice piece to Cleveland's defensive puzzle. I'm pretty sure if Peterson is there, Houston will make it up to their fans for not getting Bush and take him. Or at least, I hope thats the way it would work out.

I'd say Calvin Johnson has a chance to fall, considering all of the teams above us have spent very high draft picks on recievers in the last few years. Oakland would draft Peterson, and Detroit and Arizona need lineman.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#41 : November 27, 2006, 09:23:44 PM

Detroit and Oakland could take a WR even though it may not seem like it on the surface.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#42 : November 27, 2006, 09:26:19 PM

Detroit will not take a WR in Round 1 no matter how bad they need one. I feel safe in predicting that.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#43 : November 27, 2006, 09:27:31 PM

Millen will be fired it looks like and MW looks likely as a cut next year so stranger things have happened.

It would really suck though that Marinelli would not be given another oppurtunity if a new GM is in Detroit.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#44 : November 27, 2006, 09:40:23 PM

DBTB, wouldn't that be funny that they(Houston) passed on Bush, AND Young, and draft a RB from Oklahoma?

It would, but I think it still works out well for them. All bad pub aside that is.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Alan Branch? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools