Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I thought we couldn't run after the 1st Quarter? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#15 : January 14, 2008, 04:40:12 PM

The simple fact is, Marion Barber had almost run for 90 yards in the first Quarter against the Giants. Earnest Graham was having a succesful time in the first Quarter too, so it seems pretty baffling why Gruden strayed away from the running game completely for the rest of the game. We were down yes but even when you're down a TD and an FG you gotta keep running it otherwise the defense get comfortable. I'm sure Jeff Garcia would have appreciated some more running plays too as far as his own physical condition was concerned!
I'm pretty sure that Ghost's OP proves that the Bucs did not stray from running game completely. The play-by-play detailed by Ghost is from the 3rd quarter when we were down by two scores. So I am not sure how that is "straying completely".

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

bchrist

Starter
#16 : January 14, 2008, 04:42:22 PM

Jeff Garcia killed that drive, not the playcalling. His turnover and Spurlock's were the two critical plays that essentially turned the game.

Agreed.  I liked the play calling in the game for the most part.  Turnovers were the key, just like the game that Indy lost, even though they're the better team.  Can't blame Gruden for Garcia's terrible interceptions or for Spurlock giving the Giants great field position.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 14, 2008, 04:46:39 PM

Can't blame Gruden for Garcia's terrible interceptions or for Spurlock giving the Giants great field position.

Garcia's INT in the end zone on a ball that should never have been thrown took at least 3 points off the scoreboard. Spurlock gave the Giants free points. A big swing, and since our defense could do nothing after the first quarter, those were probably the difference.

bchrist

Starter
#18 : January 14, 2008, 04:51:39 PM

DTG, that's why that game hurt so much. -3 turnover differential is like giving the game away.  If we had an even differential, I think we win 6 out of 10 times.  If we have a plus differential (that you would normally expect from Eli), I think we win 8 out of 10.  But we screwed ourselves...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 14, 2008, 04:55:06 PM

DTG, that's why that game hurt so much. -3 turnover differential is like giving the game away.

You're right. And I don't really count the last INT, to be honest. When you're playing a team that's more talented than you, even if only by a small margin, you can't make those mistakes.

bchrist

Starter
#20 : January 14, 2008, 04:58:00 PM

DTG, that's why that game hurt so much. -3 turnover differential is like giving the game away.

You're right. And I don't really count the last INT, to be honest. When you're playing a team that's more talented than you, even if only by a small margin, you can't make those mistakes.

Why not the last one, that's another thrown that Garcia shouldn't have made.  To me, it was similar to the first one (albeit with more desperation) in that he was trying to force a play that wasn't there...

ranman

Pro Bowler

#21 : January 14, 2008, 04:58:42 PM

ABF - you really are an **CENSORED**!  If my commentary ges me banned so be it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 14, 2008, 04:59:05 PM

You might want to rethink that type of post Abuccs.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 14, 2008, 05:02:51 PM

That implies that there was thinking to begin with.

#24 : January 14, 2008, 05:07:41 PM

Jeff can change the play.

DTG........................this is something that Duemig among others have no clue about, they blame Gruden for not running the ball but the simple fact and it may never come out but Garcia has probably 2-4 plays that he can call depending on a certain look of the defense, so Gruden may have called Runs and maybe NYG put 9-10 men in the box and Garcia audible to a pass or even just faked the run and ran is own signal pass to someone, that happens all the time, Favre, does it and he is running the same version of our offense up there, so when ididots like Duemig and Stroud, forget to talk about maybe Garcia called the pass plays, it just makes them bigger dunces!

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#25 : January 14, 2008, 05:09:20 PM

Really. Looks like someone is looking for some "Time Out" time with borna.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

klb55

Starter

#26 : January 14, 2008, 05:11:26 PM

Jeff can change the play.

DTG.....Doesn't Gruden call two plays, 1 run and 1 pass, and then the QB decides which to run at the line?  

Even if that is not the case, I'm sure that Jeff has the latitude to audible to a run or pass as the situation dictates

In either case, it would be the QB who ultimately decides if it is a run or pass.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 14, 2008, 05:18:31 PM

Even if that is not the case, I'm sure that Jeff has the latitude to audible to a run or pass as the situation dictates

Jeff has a lot of latitude. Gruden has given that. There are times when Coach Gruden may insist that a particular play is the best for the situation, but Jeff has a great deal of autonomy, probably more than any other Gruden QB besides Gannon.

klb55

Starter

#28 : January 14, 2008, 05:32:44 PM

Jeff has a lot of latitude. Gruden has given that. There are times when Coach Gruden may insist that a particular play is the best for the situation, but Jeff has a great deal of autonomy, probably more than any other Gruden QB besides Gannon.

As a general rule, does he go to the line with two plays?  I thought that was the case.  If so, what percentage of the time is this the case in your opinion or based on your sources?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 14, 2008, 05:35:20 PM

If so, what percentage of the time is this the case in your opinion or based on your sources?

I can't say for certain. I don't have enough specific information to opine on any percentages.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I thought we couldn't run after the 1st Quarter? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools