Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chris Simms « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#60 : November 25, 2006, 11:07:02 PM

Ok if we don't bring simms back then what do we do? Go into next season with Grads, McCown and Rattay. I hope not, as bad as Simms was at the start of the season I would feel better about next season if we had Simms or another vet QB to compete with Grads.

trade for Schaub, get Leftwich or Gerrard, draft a first round QB.....there are many better options than Simms.  Lets at least have a QB that can play the WCO.

#61 : November 25, 2006, 11:08:59 PM

Ok if we don't bring simms back then what do we do? Go into next season with Grads, McCown and Rattay. I hope not, as bad as Simms was at the start of the season I would feel better about next season if we had Simms or another vet QB to compete with Grads.

trade for Schaub, get Leftwich or Gerrard, draft a first round QB.....there are many better options than Simms. Lets at least have a QB that can play the WCO.
why would we draft a first round QB (unless it's Quinn / Russell) if a guy like Troy Smith happens to slip down?

Larry Brackins

Starter
#62 : November 25, 2006, 11:21:12 PM

I have been saying since the 2nd Carolina game Simms will be the starting QB for this team next year.

This just confirms my thoughts.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#63 : November 25, 2006, 11:26:06 PM

I have been saying since the 2nd Carolina game Simms will be the starting QB for this team next year.

Good call on that one then.   But why do you have Grads in your sig if you like Simms?

CSimms02

Rookie

#64 : November 25, 2006, 11:27:15 PM

i agree with all of you guys that said simms should come back...he needs to prove to us bucs fans that he CAN do the job well...i dont think gradkowski is the way to go cause he hasnt been showing it lately

Larry Brackins

Starter
#65 : November 25, 2006, 11:30:25 PM

Good call on that one then. But why do you have Grads in your sig if you like Simms?
I don't know if I would say "I like Simms", but I just feel he will be the best guy for the job next year. I want us to give resign him for a year a two and draft Troy Smith with out 2nd round pick.

I have just been too lazy to change my sig. I'll do it now. lol

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#66 : November 25, 2006, 11:32:23 PM

I wouldn't completely abandon all hope for Grads just yet.   He still has the rest of the season to show us what he's got.  Plus he's only a rookie.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#67 : November 25, 2006, 11:34:15 PM

I wouldn't completely abandon all hope for Grads just yet. He still has the rest of the season to show us what he's got. Plus he's only a rookie.
I agree, but I just don't think he has the arm strength to be a starting QB in the NFL.

I saw him alot in college, and his arm strength has always been questionable.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

gharen

Pro Bowler

#68 : November 26, 2006, 12:15:27 AM

Grads has already played better than Simms this year and will only get better. The media loves Simms because there all friends with his daddy. Howie Long even said Thurs. that he's partial to "Phil's Boy". Interestingly, on the same ESPN.com site Pasquerelli says Simms is almost assured of hitting the FA market. QB's make there most improvement between their 1st and 2nd years. It's not like Grads can't take the snap from center and looks like a complete idiot back there, he is improving each week in area's besides stats and his stats aren't bad for a rookie. Deal with the fact that he is our starter this year and next. The only way the Bucs even consider a 1st rounder on a QB is if Gruden gets a contract extension. Otherwise our QB depth chart will probably be Grads, Brunell and McCown.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#69 : November 26, 2006, 12:22:52 AM

Well, if you don't know what Gruden sees in Gradkowski, I was assuming you've never seen a Gruden press conference or interview before.

Actually, I agree that Grads looks alot like Shaun King.   He's better than King, but plays very similarly.    Gruden used to rave about Edell Shepherd in his press conferences as well.   I don't think that means much.   These guys like Shepherd and Grads who jump out fast and look good at the start need to improve on their potential and progress to the next level.   So far I don't see Grads improving over what he was in the first game.   I hope that changes or he could end up like Edell and be cut in a couple of years.

I have been comparing Bruce to a slightly modded King for a while now.  And the defense is not capable of making him look better than what he is:  (at least for now) A Game manager.  But the offense Grads is operating in is also a giant failure right about now.

But good post Java.  You have been hot lately.  What happened?  Are the girls in Indonesia drying up?  JK! JK!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#70 : November 26, 2006, 12:28:20 AM

But good post Java. You have been hot lately. What happened? Are the girls in Indonesia drying up? JK! JK!

I've been stuck in Australia the last couple of weeks.   It's very dry here when it comes to girls.   I go back to Jakarta in a few days though.   :)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#71 : November 26, 2006, 12:30:50 AM

FWIW, I think Simms resigns because the talent pool is rather thin, and the Bucs will offer him an extension.  And I would LOVE to see the Bucs nab Troy Smith.  I know it would be a giant reach, but the man is a playmaker.  Of course, the Bucs POSITIVELY NEED to draft a D-tackle, and/or an O-lineman first to provide for immediate relief on the fronts.  A rook QB has to go through growing pains, and Grads is going through them right now.  I just fail to see FRANCHISE written on Grads.  He is a nice backup, a guy who can manage an offense, but he just seems to lack the obvious things we have been going back and forth on here.  His arm is not that great, his legs are adequate, and an upgrade over what us Buc fans have seen in years, so whenever he runs for 6 yards, we slobber and drool.  

Honestly, I think the Bucs NEED to resign Simms, wether he fits the O or not.  He is always worth a try on the second go.  He got his ass beat down in the early part of the season.  Always picking himself up off the ground, and it disgusted me.  Wether he should have moved or not, it speaks volumes about the protection he was receiving in MAX PRO sets.  Which means the blocking was outnumbering the threats, and they still weren't getting the job done consistently.  

Simms needs another shot.  And with this team.  It would be a mistake to let talent go, wether it suits Gruds needs or not.  There is always a future without Gruden.  And the assembly of talent is vital in maintaining some winning tradition, which is sorely needed again.

gonzalez

Rookie

#72 : November 26, 2006, 01:49:25 AM

If Grads falls by the wayside we move on.....Simms is not the answer.

I know a guy on the bucs.com board who would disagree with you.

I guy that watched thru college told me what to expect from Simms the Monday after we drafted him, and everything he said has come true.

What did that guy say about simms?

escobar

Hall of Famer

#73 : November 26, 2006, 02:46:22 AM

This is good news IMO. I want Simms back, and I bet Galloway does too.

gone

Hall of Famer
#74 : November 26, 2006, 03:08:08 AM

The problem with resigning Simms is the money.  I doubt we'll put that big an offer up.  Other teams will reach on him.  How much cash you gonna give up for a guy you aren't even sure will start?
If he does come back, he won't be given the starting job.  He needs to earn it, and I am not convinced he can.  For all that we look bad right now with Grads' weakness on the deep throw, we looked worse under Chris this year.  And only Marginally better last.  Simms just doesn't seem to have the mental oomph for it.  He's got the physical tools, no doubt.  But if he hasn't figured it out in 4 years, why would it be any different in 5?
As to Grads' arm showing wear and tear, he is taking an enormous number of reps in practice along with everything else, so that could be legit.  It's really impossible to look at him right now and see what he'll look like in the future.  With proper coaching/training, his arm strength will improve a little.  A lot of his deep issues come about from not having the timing down.  Accuracy should go up a bit too.  Just those little things should make him a much better passer next year.  But as we've seen in the past, not eveyone learns fast, and it's also possible there's not really enough there to squeeze any more out of.  Jon seems to think there is, so I go with that, but that's about all there is on it.  He does already seem to have the mental ability to run a pro offense, so thats a plus.  It all depends on how he's throwing next year.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chris Simms « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools