Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs need to spend first round picks on defensive line. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #15 : January 15, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »

I was hoping for Vincent Wilfork the other year.

It sure would be nice if someone said Dorsey smoked a jay and he dropped down to 24th possition.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #16 : January 15, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »

While everyone is complaining the front office and coaching staff drafted Michael Clayton in 2004 over RB Jackson the team right ahead of the Bucs the Bears drafted Tommie Harris, which would have been great to have here and could have been had with a trade up of two spots.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 15, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »

While everyone is complaining the front office and coaching staff drafted Michael Clayton in 2004 over RB Jackson the team right ahead of the Bucs the Bears drafted Tommie Harris, which would have been great to have here and could have been had with a trade up of two spots.

.....and might not have been needed had Booger played as a lot of people thought he was capable.

Based on who McShay feels will be available around when the Bucs pick, I wouldn't be shocked if the Bucs grab Dan Connor as Brooks eventual replacement.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

noopy2237

Starter
« #18 : January 15, 2008, 03:21:50 PM »

I hope the Jets release DT D. Robertson.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 15, 2008, 03:29:34 PM »

I wouldn't be opposed to a RB even though a lot of people feel Graham should be made the featured back. I'm not counting on Caddy for much if anything at all next season and I believe most successful teams use a RB by committee approach. Graham is a good North-South runner, but he doesn't strike fear into any defense. We need a playmaker at RB next season as well as a pounder like Graham.

That said, I too believe that the DL should attract another 1st round pick. Problem is that there is two top interior linemen and then some question marks. Clearly Dorsey and Ellis are head and shoulders above the rest so we might have to focus on getting another DE to go along with White and Adams. There is also a rumor that Terrell Suggs wants out of Baltimore - I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him if he's interested in coming to the Bucs.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 15, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »

I was hoping for Vincent Wilfork the other year.

Yup, I was on the Wilfork bandwagon as well.  He was quite emphatically NOT the typical tampa-2 DT, but I figured he was talented enough, the team could find a use for him.  Certainly, I imagine the line would look a whole lot better with him replacing Hovan.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #21 : January 15, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »

My biggest problem with taking a first round running back this year is that the draft is just so stupidly deep at the position this year.

Although I admit I also have concerns about Stewart's injury history.  I know, it's all been nickle and dime stuff.  But after Caddy, nickle and dime stuff scares me too.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #22 : January 15, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »

I really think the Bucs will address RB in free agency - so I doubt we pick a RB at #20. My fear is that we go for a WR or QB (shutter!). Defensive line is where we need to go - our defense needs more push! And I agree, if Ellis is still on the board after number 12 (maybe even 10) we need to seriously consider trading up and picking up a new DT.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

« #23 : January 15, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

That said, I too believe that the DL should attract another 1st round pick. Problem is that there is two top interior linemen and then some question marks. Clearly Dorsey and Ellis are head and shoulders above the rest so we might have to focus on getting another DE to go along with White and Adams. There is also a rumor that Terrell Suggs wants out of Baltimore - I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him if he's interested in coming to the Bucs.

I believe Suggs is a FA...please correct me if I'm wrong

You must be accountable for your actions!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #24 : January 15, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »

I wouldn't be opposed to a RB even though a lot of people feel Graham should be made the featured back. I'm not counting on Caddy for much if anything at all next season and I believe most successful teams use a RB by committee approach. Graham is a good North-South runner, but he doesn't strike fear into any defense. We need a playmaker at RB next season as well as a pounder like Graham.

Who cares about strinking fear into the defense?  I'd rather strike a consistent 4 yards a clip!

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #25 : January 15, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »

He'll be tagged. No one lets a good DT go for free. We might be able to trade for him by giving Baltimore something to release the tag or a sign and trade deal.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #26 : January 15, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »

"Who cares about strinking fear into the defense?  I'd rather strike a consistent 4 yards a clip!"

If every run was for 4 yards or if we had a coach that was patient enough to always give the run a chance - I'd agree with you,

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #27 : January 15, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »

I don't understand this logic.  We didn't draft a DL in the first round because we didn't have a 1st rounder many of those years and on top of that we didn't really need DL.  We had Sapp, McFarland, Rice, Spires, Hovan, etc.  Say what you will about Booger but he looked like he was going to be very good for awhile there.  Also, we did spend a 2nd rounder on a DE in that time span. 

edwamil83

Starter
« #28 : January 15, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

He'll be tagged. No one lets a good DT go for free. We might be able to trade for him by giving Baltimore something to release the tag or a sign and trade deal.

It's been mentioned on PFT that the Ravens don't like to tag their players. Also, he's a DE.

And given the importance of the 3 technique in this scheme shouldn't it almost be our #1 goal to get a dominant player at that position this year? I think we should do whatever it takes to get Glenn Dorsey, the guy was dominant when he was injured and he's probably the best DT prospect in a long time. But, I could accept a Sedrick Ellis.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #29 : January 15, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »

In the 11 year span between DE the only player that was drafted in the first three rounds was Dewayne White, Hovan came after Sapp left, so even using you logic the team has neglected drafting talent for the defensive line in the first round for 11 and 8 years respectively, Also since when can you have enough good pass rushers? Other then Gaines Adams and Dewayne White who have the Bucs drafted in the first or second round since 1996 on the defensive line?

The Staff says the need to get more pressure the way you get more pressure is either get the horse that can make it happen or be creative and last season we saw neither. There was not a Consistent rush and at best was just below average most of the season.

To win in the NFL there are four things you have got to be able to do.
On offense you have got to be able to run the ball and protect the QB
On Defense you have got to be able to stop the run and get after opposing QB's

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs need to spend first round picks on defensive line. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools