Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WOW...Way to DISTORT the Facts - Pet Yorkie related « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ryanleaf

Starter

: January 15, 2008, 04:17:58 PM

For someone who espouses to "speak the truth," he really twisted the truth to fit his argument in the last segment.  A caller named Rob was on the line to service Steve about firing Gruden.  Steve went on to say that Gruden was the "3rd or 4th choice" of the Glazers.  Steve talks about how Al Davis never wanted to re-sign Gruden, etc. 

Steve seems to forget that after Rich McKay came back with the idea of hiring Marvin Lewis, the Glazers took over the search and told McKay to see what it would take to snag Gruden from Oakland.  It was reported McKay was told that it would take 4 1's, 4 2's, 4 3's and 4 4's + cash.  Obviously the Glazers walked-away from the offer and then they went after Mariucci offering him a 7-year $49 million deal.  Mooch declined and stated in the ESPN article that it was due to family reasons.  He did not want to move his kids from the bay area, etc. 

Then, the Glazers went back to Al Davis after Gruden turned down a contract extension from Davis b/c of the offer.  Gruden, apparently was insulted b/c the offer was originally much more, but, was altered after the Raiders lost 3 of their last 4 games.  Davis then made the deal with the Glazers and the rest is history. 

Steve's version:

- Davis wasn't going to re-sign Gruden
- Glazers gave up too much for a coach the Raiders didn't want
- Gruden was their 4th choice and they only did it to save face

You stay classy Steve...

Leaf

"We're not posin' for football cards offense, we're not posin' for football cards.  Let's practice with some speed!"

ryanleaf

Starter

#1 : January 15, 2008, 04:23:17 PM

I actually did send a email because in my mind it is irresponsible of him to espouse conjecture as fact to fit his personal agenda.

Leaf

"We're not posin' for football cards offense, we're not posin' for football cards.  Let's practice with some speed!"

Bucfanut

Starter

#2 : January 15, 2008, 04:21:34 PM

Yeah, I was gonna send Steve an email about that...after Parcells, they wanted Gruden, but cited that the Raiders were asking for "exorbitant demands", and after the Lewis idea was nixed by the Glazers, they took over the coaching search and interviewed Friedgen and Mariucci. Those 2 were NOT ahead of Gruden in the Glazers minds.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 15, 2008, 04:23:38 PM

But you guys don't know what he knows. ;D

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#4 : January 15, 2008, 04:23:49 PM

Of course he's banking on people forgetting the details of what actually happened this way he's the one with all of the knowledge. Hence why I don't listen to his show.

ryanleaf

Starter

#5 : January 15, 2008, 04:25:18 PM

I am contemplating calling-in and trying to call him out, but, I am sure I will just be hung up on or called a "goober," etc.

Leaf

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 15, 2008, 04:25:25 PM

So davis wanted 4 full drafts for gruden?  i think 2 1's and 2 2's is exorbitant.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ryanleaf

Starter

#7 : January 15, 2008, 04:30:15 PM

Yeah...Steve himself confirmed that info.  Davis wanted 16 picks plus cash.  But, Davis obviously said that b/c he knew the Glazers would walk.

Leaf

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 15, 2008, 04:35:51 PM

After compiling a 40-28 win-loss record in four seasons with the Raiders, Gruden replaced the fired Tony Dungy as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002, via a high-stakes trade that included Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first- and second-round draft picks and $8 million in cash. The trade took place for a number of reasons, including Davis' desire for a more vertical passing attack rather than Gruden's horizontal pass attack, the fact that Gruden's contract would expire a year after the trade, and Davis' uncertainty over whether Gruden was worth as much money as his next contract was sure to pay him. Gruden signed a five-year contract with the Buccaneers worth $17.5 million.[1]

The Bucs' search had taken more than two months, and had proven to be a major embarrassment to the Buccaneer organization. Tampa Bay had expressed an interest in Gruden, but Davis had originally refused to release him from his contract. The team subsequently interviewed several other coaches and believed a deal was in place with Bill Parcells, before Parcells backed out, reportedly because his choice for General Manager, Mike Tannenbaum, told him not to accept the job because of the salary cap difficulties that Tampa was about to endure. With the franchise's search floundering, the coach they wanted having only one year remaining on his deal, and the immediate hire of Dungy by the Indianapolis Colts, many fans and sports commentators began to openly question if the Bucs had made the right move by dismissing Dungy. Only a big splash hire could quiet the storm, and this may have been the primary motivation for the Bucs to give up as much as they did to acquire Gruden.

from Wikipedia, it took me a whole 4 seconds to get this but I guess facts are way over rated  compared to ratings.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

ryanleaf

Starter

#9 : January 15, 2008, 04:41:31 PM

I know that Davis had a extension ready for Gruden.  The Raiders went 1-3 to finish the season and Davis rescinded/altered the offer and Gruden was miffed at Davis and the actions taken.  That's when Gruden started speaking through his agent and making it known that he may go to San Francisco if the job opened up, etc.  Davis then whittled his offer down to 4 draft picks + cash and the Glazers jumped on the deal. 

Leaf

Bucfanut

Starter

#10 : January 15, 2008, 04:41:52 PM

That caller brought up Rich Gannon, but it's funny...he didn't mention how just this yr, Gannon said this....

"“If we could’ve just made just a couple of kicks, we’d have been 10-6,” Gannon says. “Gruden went through all this year-by-year, the litany of things, and it culminated in that tuck-rule play. He was just distraught. It was at that point that I knew he’d had enough. He never told me, ‘You know what, I’m done. I’m getting out of here.’ But I could just tell. It was documented he was having problems with his contract. I knew right then and there it would be the last time I ever saw that guy in the building. And it was.

“It was unfortunate, because—had he stayed—I’m convinced we would have won a Super Bowl in Oakland. As it turned out, he goes to Tampa Bay and makes our life miserable (in Super Bowl XXXVII).”"

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?UID=f06a7610a6fe2b78&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3af06a7610a6fe2b78Post%3adc39b605-c149-435d-945d-1bda42644a02

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 15, 2008, 04:43:07 PM

Rich Gannon doesn't know what the dumb dog knows.

ryanleaf

Starter

#12 : January 15, 2008, 04:44:47 PM

...because when players talk, they really talk!

Leaf

ANGRY PIRATE

Starter

#13 : January 15, 2008, 04:44:53 PM

wikipedia isnt exactly a worthy news source

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 15, 2008, 04:46:53 PM

wikipedia isnt exactly a worthy news source

exactly, any of us can re-write that make it sound completely true, and it not have any truth to it what-so-ever.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WOW...Way to DISTORT the Facts - Pet Yorkie related « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools