Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Blow Bush « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 09, 2006, 06:36:49 PM

Total rush and recieving yards aren't junk but tossing in special teams stats are becuase most of those yards aren't earned in the same way.

I'll grant you that Reggie Bush is the equal of Mike Pittman, a "backup RB" in your words. I'd love to have drafted a backup RB at #2 overall. Good move.

It sure was...because as of now, they are on top the NFC South when they were supposed to be basement mold.

Not saying the FA acquisition didn't help, but to discredit a very versatile component of their offense this early in his career, and based on the fact he just beat the Bucs on a Punt Return (no matter how bad the coverage), is a bit much, IMO.

Bush may never be a Barry Sanders, or LDT, or Tiki, but he has many uses for the Saints, and obviously his ability with his legs will come into play eventually.  I am sure teams GEAR UP for the guy, and it makes it tougher for him to spring.  He is fast, and quick and shifty, and you cannot teach those things.  He will eventually learn more, and when that happens, he will be off of everyones hate list, much like LDT, and Tiki are.

Edit:  And PR yards may not be "earned" the same way, but they prove invaluable at times.  Note week #5.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#16 : October 09, 2006, 06:38:24 PM

I think Reggie is a talented guy, but that punt return was nothing special. Any returner worth a damn would have got a TD. The punt and subsequent coverage was just bad. When Bush got the ball there was nobody withing 10yds of him and his blockers opened up a huge lane for him to run through. He just had to out run a back-up LB and Bidwell to get the TD.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 09, 2006, 06:39:43 PM

I think Reggie is a talented guy, but that punt return was nothing special. Any returner worth a damn would have got a TD. The punt and subsequent coverage was just bad. When Bush got the ball there was nobody withing 10yds of him and his blockers opened up a huge lane for him to run through. He just had to out run a back-up LB and Bidwell to get the TD.

So that means Mark Jones would not have gotten that TD...hmmm.... [banghead]

He beat the Bucs on that one.  Special or not, they won because of that one PR.  Period.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#18 : October 09, 2006, 06:46:42 PM

So that means Mark Jones would not have gotten that TD...hmmm.... [banghead]

He beat the Bucs on that one.  Special or not, they won because of that one PR.  Period.

Maybe if  Jones got a bad punt like that to him and his teammates would block well for him he would get a TD(he came close to breaking a few last year and had one called back against NE).....The point is Reggie didn't do it by himslef. It's not like he did a Dante Hall human joystick return, faking out several guys. It was a good play by the Saints special teams. You can say the Saints ST (or the Bucs bad ST) win the game. This is a team game.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 09, 2006, 06:49:25 PM

Maybe if Jones got a bad punt like that to him and his teammates would block well for him he would get a TD(he came close to breaking a few last year and had one called back against NE).....The point is Reggie didn't do it by himslef. It's not like he did a Dante Hall human joystick return, faking out several guys. It was a good play by the Saints special teams. You can say the Saints ST (or the Bucs bad ST) win the game. This is a team game.

I see a lot of maybes, but the bottom line is this:  Reggie took a "bad" punt, against decent blocking or "blown" assignments, and took it to the house to win them another game versus our beloved Bucs.  Not bad for a rookie who sucks.

And in 60 plus returns, Mark Jones has had a long return of 34 yards.  That is not coming close to breaking one, and it is pretty pathetic really.  Actually, pathetic isn't the right word here.  More like...vanilla plain.  Jones isn't good at all. 

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#20 : October 09, 2006, 07:07:54 PM

I see a lot of maybes, but the bottom line is this:  Reggie took a "bad" punt, against decent blocking or "blown" assignments, and took it to the house to win them another game versus our beloved Bucs.  Not bad for a rookie who sucks.

And in 60 plus returns, Mark Jones has had a long return of 34 yards.  That is not coming close to breaking one, and it is pretty pathetic really.  Actually, pathetic isn't the right word here.  More like...vanilla plain.  Jones isn't good at all. 

This isn't about Mark Jones... Is Reggie Bush a better player than Jones? That doesn't even need answering.. But everyone's acting like he's the NFL's messiah. If another guy was back there and had got that TD, I guarantee you it would not be getting all the hype. Like I said, his punt return was a play an NFL returner is expected to make with the look he got...To me it's like when Vick hits a routine pass for a TD. Yes it's a TD and good job Vick, but the media acts like no other QB in the league can throw a TD pass....

take a look at Bush's contributions on offense from Sunday, he had 9 rushes for 23 yds, that's about 2.6 yds a pop. And his long was 10yds. So he had one rush for 10 yds and 8 other rushes for only 13 yds. He caught 11 passes for 63 yds with a long of 10. That's 5.7 yds per catch. McAllister did more to win them the game with his first half performance. But the media is talking about their darling Reggie.....I'm not trying to bash the guy, I actually like him. But he hasn't done anything yet to annoint him as one of the top players in the NFL.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 09, 2006, 07:21:25 PM

He is very talented but the hype is a little ridiculous.    I don't see the kid ever being a Barry Sanders rusher or a Marshall Faulk receiving back.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 09, 2006, 07:29:52 PM

No one said anything about the hype being absurd.

I deal enough having my lil bro talk about Mike Vick all day, and having to listen to idiots like Theisman talk about the Vick as if he were the cure for Herpes...ooops.

Anyway, Bush did what he needed to do against the Bucs.  He beat us.

As for small, shifty backs, those kind of RBs seldom do a lot of damage to the Bucs.  The Bucs have some speed, and they tend to box these guys in well enough.

It is the up the gut runners that have always mauled the Tampa 2.  Like Deuce did.  Except he vanished in the second half for some odd reason.

Bush is a good lil player.  I certainly never called him anything more than that.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 09, 2006, 07:45:12 PM

I agee with you on all points but one and that's that Bush beat us.  Yes his return gave them the points necessary to win(maybe that is all you meant) but no matter how cliche it is to say this the Bucs beat the Bucs.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Blow Bush « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools