Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ok A. Samuel needs to be signed « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

gone

Hall of Famer
#30 : November 27, 2006, 09:47:42 PM

I know our secondary is getting burned this year, but what is with all the "get this great CB" crap?  We've NEVER been dependent on great talent there.  The way our scheme works is with secondary guys who can get the system, coupled with pressure from the front four (particularly UT), a mobile but tough SS,  and speed at LB.  A great CB has the least pound per pound impact of a Great UT, Great SS, or great LB...

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#31 : November 27, 2006, 10:04:32 PM

I think briggs gets a little to much credit.. he is playing next to the best linebacker in the game..

I think it can go both ways. People are also quick to take credit away from Briggs just because he happens to line up next to a very talented LB in Urlacher. But I see Briggs make plays like he did yesterday against New England and I don't think "wow, he made that great strip because the RB was ----ting himself thinking about Urlacher". And at the same time, I don't see Hunter Hillenmeyer lighing the world on fire because he's benefitting from Urlacher.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#32 : November 27, 2006, 10:18:43 PM

Hillenmeyer is playing the Ryan Nece spot in our defense -- that guy just won't ever amount to anything. It is why signing or not signing Gold meant nada. Briggs is gonna cost -- a lot.

I know. What I'm saying is, you don't just perform like that because Urlacher is holding your hand through the entire game or the entire offense's assignment is to block Urlacher. Briggs makes plays, period. He doesn't seem to get credit from many even for that.

gone

Hall of Famer
#33 : November 27, 2006, 10:24:20 PM

I know our secondary is getting burned this year, but what is with all the "get this great CB" crap?  We've NEVER been dependent on great talent there.  The way our scheme works is with secondary guys who can get the system, coupled with pressure from the front four (particularly UT), a mobile but tough SS,  and speed at LB.  A great CB has the least pound per pound impact of a Great UT, Great SS, or great LB...

Samuel isn't a "great CB" in the terms of a Sanders or a Green. He's is our kind of CB. Overlooked by most is that NE basically runs a lot of cover-2 and cover-3 out of that 4-3. Samuels is a physical zone cornerback. He'd be great to have here.
It's not just samuel, there've been other names mentioned, fa and draft.  It's never been a premium position here, but there's a lot of noise about it here this year...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ok A. Samuel needs to be signed « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools