Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anthony Spencer « previous next »
Page: 1

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

: November 26, 2006, 09:12:05 PM

Out of boredom today (no Bucs game), I was surfing around the web comparing the various d-linemen that we have discussed on this board. you know who jumped out at me statistically?  Purdue’s Anthony Spencer.  A friend of mine mentioned this guy to me a couple weeks ago but since I had never seen him play I let the name go by w/o checking into him.  After checking the numbers, he's really impressive.  Check out his tackle for loss numbers: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playertacklesloss&site=org.  Third in the nation overall and he leads all d-linemen.  Also noteworthy is less than half of his TFL’s come from sacks, meaning he plays the run very well too.  His overall tackle numbers are high too, approaching LB type numbers. That's really impressive for a DE.  It shows how active and disruptive he is.   his stock is on the rise and he’s being mentioned on a few draft web sites now.  If we miss out on Adams in the top 10 Spencer could be a nice early 2nd rd option, unless his stock continues to shoot up.  any big 10 buc fans have any thoughts on this guy? i haven't seen him play yet. 

#1 : November 26, 2006, 09:13:14 PM

I like him as well...haven't seen too much of him but I'd rank Adams - Bazuin - Spencer as my wishlist

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 27, 2006, 07:12:30 PM

bump....

STERN11354

Starter

#3 : November 28, 2006, 11:59:59 AM

Out of boredom today (no Bucs game), I was surfing around the web comparing the various d-linemen that we have discussed on this board. you know who jumped out at me statistically? Purdue’s Anthony Spencer. A friend of mine mentioned this guy to me a couple weeks ago but since I had never seen him play I let the name go by w/o checking into him. After checking the numbers, he's really impressive. Check out his tackle for loss numbers: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playertacklesloss&site=org. Third in the nation overall and he leads all d-linemen. Also noteworthy is less than half of his TFL’s come from sacks, meaning he plays the run very well too. His overall tackle numbers are high too, approaching LB type numbers. That's really impressive for a DE. It shows how active and disruptive he is. his stock is on the rise and he’s being mentioned on a few draft web sites now. If we miss out on Adams in the top 10 Spencer could be a nice early 2nd rd option, unless his stock continues to shoot up. any big 10 buc fans have any thoughts on this guy? i haven't seen him play yet.

I'm up here in Columbus, Ohio in Big 10 country and I have seen 3 games of his.  I mentioned this guy before we should take a look at to replace Rice/Spires.  He looked really impressive to me.  He looked good against Illinois where he sacked the quarterback in the endzone forcing a fumble.  he does well on screens when he drops in coverage.  He was also just named one of six finalists for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.  Here are some of his stats:  http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND  Go to the bottom of the page to view his yearly stats. 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 28, 2006, 12:08:14 PM

Listed at 6'3" 261 so if Purdue is fibbing any about his numbers *shock* then he's gonna be very small and maybe more OLB than DE even for us. I've seen him rated a top 10 DE prospect (as in among the top 10 DE's and not a top 10 overall).

Maybe we could play him like Robert Mathis?

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 28, 2006, 06:50:20 PM

Listed at 6'3" 261 so if Purdue is fibbing any about his numbers *shock* then he's gonna be very small and maybe more OLB than DE even for us. I've seen him rated a top 10 DE prospect (as in among the top 10 DE's and not a top 10 overall).

i wasn't suggesting him as an option in the top 10 overall.  if we missed on adams in the top 10 then spencer could be a nice early 2nd rd option.  as for size, many of the top DE's in the game are in that same size range: Rice(6'5" 268), Little(6'3" 263), Kearse(6'4" 265), Suggs(6'3" 260), Umenyiora(6'3 261), Burgess(6'2" 260) and Ogunleye(6'4" 260). 
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anthony Spencer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools