Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talk me out of voting for Huck « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 20

Swolf

Practice Squad

: January 28, 2008, 02:15:18 PM

Abortion for starters, First he was pro-choice, then pro-life

http://artlaction.com/release/20080116/right-life-leaders-battle-over-romney

Same Sex Marrage

http://massresistance.org/docs/marriage/romney/

Mitt on Healthcare

http://honest.townhall.com/Default.aspx

Sunday, January 27, 2008
The Former Pastor Running for President? Which One?
By Gary Glenn

The news media rarely mentions former Gov. Mike Huckabee without first identifying him as a "former pastor."

Literally, in many news articles, Huckabee is identified as a former pastor before his ten years as governor of Arkansas -- more executive branch experience than any other candidate running for president of either party -- is even mentioned. In fact, Huckabee served as governor longer than he served as a pastor.

One California newspaper editorial page editor notes, however, that Huckabee's economic and social views were perhaps influenced by the fact that "as a preacher, he spent many years ministering to average Americans personally, gaining a real sense of the issues that concern them -- health insurance, economic uncertainty, family breakdown."
http://www.dailybulletin.com/politics/ci_8085136

In that context, the five-minute video interview by Newsweek's Howard Fineman -- linked below -- is particularly striking, in which the Republican candidate for president himself repeatedly refers to his experience as a former pastor and precisely identifies that experience as a primary source of his empathy for average Americans.

VIDEO:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1321252644/bclid1392485057/bctid1392485174

There is a twist, however.

The video interview is not with Mike Huckabee.

It's that other former pastor running for president.

Who, curiously, is never referred to by the news media as a "former pastor."

Even though he says he served as a pastor for fifteen years, nearly four times longer than he served as governor.

So why the media double standard?

Why is the candidate who served as governor longer than he served as pastor always identified as a former pastor, while the candidate who served as pastor four times longer than he served as governor never identified as a former pastor?

Gary Glenn is President of the American Family Association of Michigan

http://sunlituplands.blogspot.com/2008/01/former-pastor-running-for-president.html

Here is the American Right to Life's opinion of Mitt's abortion views.
http://artlaction.com/

How other conservative groups view Romney's record:

At least in 2005, according to http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Mitt_Ro ... Values.htm:

Romney ranks #8 on the list Top 10 RINOs, ranked by the editors of Human Events (a conservative publication).

Has said, "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country." Supports civil unions and stringent gun laws. After visiting Houston, he criticized the city's aesthetics, saying, "This is what happens when you don't have zoning."

What's a RINO? Wikipedia.com explains:
RINO stands for Republican In Name Only, a disparaging term for a member of the Republican Party who is thought to be too fiscally or socially moderate or even liberal. It has replaced the older term Rockefeller Republican. The term is used by conservatives to delegitimize moderate Republican office holders. Those labeled RINOs counter that the conservatives who call them RINOs are too far right and too politically naive. They point out that they can and do win in moderate and liberal areas and without their votes the Republicans would lose control of Congress.

Please do not listen to what the likes of Rush and Hannity are telling you about this man. Clear Channel, the owner of their stations, is owned by Bain Capitol, the company that Mitt was the CEO of. All of my professors have taught me that in politics it's important to follow the money. It's a really short trip where Mitt Romney is concerned.

You all know who I think is the only man for the job, but I will say again, that I would rather see you all vote for ANYONE than Mitt Romney. He cannot be trusted for a minute and is typical of what has gotten our party in the mess it's in now. The fact that he is a Mormon is not nearly as troubling as the fact that he was a Mormon lay pastor and bishop for 15 years. As a Christian, I have a real problem with that.

There is no perfect candidate. We all know that. We also know that God places rulers on their thrones, but He has given us responsibility in this issue by placing us in this nation, where we get to have a say in who that is. It is a huge responsibility, not one to be taken lightly. It has dismayed me for years at how ill-informed most voters are. It has dismayed me even more that many of those voters are Christians. Men and women have died so that we can have this freedom and so many cannot be bothered to research a candidate for even an hour before they vote. They trust a newspaper or a talking head on tv to tell them what they need to know. You would never do the same thing for you theology, but you would do it with your freedoms and those of your children. I am being painfully honest here. It makes me ashamed. It makes my children ashamed. They have come to me repeatedly this election season to ask me why people are so ignorant of the things that make such a difference in their lives. I don't have an answer for them.

I apologize if I have offended any of you with this. I know that many of you think that politics has no place in the church. I would offer the argument that that is exactly what they want us to think. That is why the country is in the mess it is in now. Christians decided decades ago that they should remain above the fray of the dirtiness of politics. That was the day that the Cold War was won. By the other side. Ask anyone that has served the Church in an oppressed nation. They will tell you that one of the Church's primary functions has to be to influence the world around them. That includes the political world.

I will leave off this long ranting with this final word. Edmund Burke wrote that all that is necessary for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing. I beseech you to do your homework, on the web and on your knees, before you go to the polls tomorrow.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 28, 2008, 02:13:19 PM

Excellent, excellent post, Buckeye.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#2 : January 26, 2008, 07:16:40 AM

The guy seems like just what we need.

http://www.fiveforfighting.com/Huck/HuckJohnAudio_1-2.mp3

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 26, 2008, 07:36:21 AM

just look at his record.

He says hes against higher taxes... but as governor he raised taxes higher then Clinton did as governor of Arkansas

Hes pro illegals

IMO when I think Huckabee I think Bush clone...just the feeling I get

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 26, 2008, 08:58:26 AM

He looks like the best of the bunch to me.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 26, 2008, 09:28:03 AM

Full Disclosure:  I'm a Christian.  But...

He takes his Christian values into government, which is good on some things but not on others.  He doesn't stick to a lot of conservative values.

Examples: 

1.  Pardoned hard criminals because they said they had repented...only for some to rape and kill again.  These guys committed the crime, they need to do the time they were supposed to.  Huck needs to let God handle redemption.

2.  Raised taxes in Arkansas many times in order to implement Government hand-out programs for the "less fortunate."  Again, this is something that should be handled privately in church and charities...not the government mandating taxes.

I think Huck is great guy, charismatic and funny.  He has some good ideas, but I don't want him leading the country.  I think he is too much like Bush...says he's a conservative because he is a Christian...but really isn't.

I'm going for Romney.

Swolf

Practice Squad

#6 : January 28, 2008, 02:51:23 PM

Sorry the Link didnt work, you can view it here at http://www.forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=7962

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 28, 2008, 02:47:14 PM

Abortion for starters, First he was pro-choice, then pro-life

http://artlaction.com/release/20080116/right-life-leaders-battle-over-romney

That link doesn't work.  But in response to the issue:  I admire a man that can admit when he is wrong.  It's not like when Hillary says she was never for the war and that Bush lied about WMD's when she was quoted over and over saying they did.

Romney was pro-abortion and then admitted that he was wrong with that stance.

Same Sex Marrage

http://massresistance.org/docs/marriage/romney/

It looks from that link that he is for Civil Unions for Gays, not marriage.  That is where I am on the issue.  Marriage is for a man and woman.  If gays and lesbians want the same tax breaks, etc., they can have a civil union.

Mitt on Healthcare

http://honest.townhall.com/Default.aspx

That is a blog.  I wouldn't count that as a viable source.

As for the rest of your post, I couldn't really make anything out...it's too jumbled.

Swolf

Practice Squad

#8 : January 28, 2008, 02:46:43 PM

Here is a good site on the Romney Flip Flops

http://www.romneyfacts.com/redblue.php

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 26, 2008, 07:59:29 PM

if I was going to vote (which Im not), Id vote for Ron Paul. Thats how little I like the republican party cands.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 28, 2008, 02:09:21 PM

Since we all agree that Reagan was the conservative model lets look at what he had to say about taxes and the size of government - the costs associated with maintaining it, and the evils that come from a government that get's too big.

From a speech entitled "A Rendezvous with Destiny" broadcast on October 27th, 1964 (Full Speech)

"I have an uncomfortable feeling that this prosperity isn't something on which we can base our hopes for the future. No nation in history has ever survived a tax burden that reached a third of its national income. Today, 37 cents of every dollar earned in this country is the tax collector's share, and yet our government continues to spend $17 million a day more than the government takes in. We haven't balanced our budget 28 out of the last 34 years. We have raised our debt limit three times in the last twelve months, and now our national debt is one and a half times bigger than all the combined debts of all the nations in the world. We have $15 billion in gold in our treasury--we don't own an ounce. Foreign dollar claims are $27.3 billion, and we have just had announced that the dollar of 1939 will now purchase 45 cents in its total value. "

Today the government takes in 58% of every dollar earned in the form of taxes - just on social security, medicare and medicaid! Today's dollar is worth $.17 against the dollar of 1939 (and that was towards the end of the Great Depression). We have increased taxes, massive government and have less to show for it. We still have poverty and hunger - not only that apparently we have MORE of it? So government spends more but accomplishes, less?

Reagan had some strong core beliefs but the ones that I've read were his 3 overarching beliefs - freedom, small government and God. As Galt? pointed out, the belief in God is that while he prayed often, he acted. He based his decisions on deep conviction. That conviction was communicated and it was salient because we all held common beliefs.

We are now being told by Republicans that government can be an answer. We are being told (and apparently some are believing) that taxes are not yet high enough!?

Reagan had a two prong attack 1) Cut taxes 2) Cut government spending. The Democrat congress devised a unique plan - "give him half of what he wants..." they knew that if they didn't actually cut any programs they would spend the money faster.  Even though every tax cut increases federal revenue, they still manage to spend all the money - indeed we again went into defecit spending with the Bush budget. Check into it - the Bush tax cuts brought in record federal tax income, but again -we spent more than we took in.

From the same speech - this time on why we need to reduce the size of government (cut spending):

"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this Earth. Federal employees number 2.5 million, and federal, state, and local, one out of six of the nation's work force is employed by the government. These proliferating bureaus with their thousands of regulations have cost us many of our constitutional safeguards. How many of us realize that today federal agents can invade a man's property without a warrant? They can impose a fine without a formal hearing, let alone a trial by jury, and they can seize and sell his property in auction to enforce the payment of that fine.

and oma - you probably know this better than anyone (if you don't that's scary) the only government program that has EVER been cut - is the military budget.

So I would say - look for the candidate that exemplifies this. Not one that  sounds good (we already had one of those from Arkansas) - but one that has both run a state AND run a business - successfully. One who's not only raised taxes, but paid them. Not just one that saw how easy it is to raise some taxes but one who knows what it feels like to meet a payroll while accomplishing what it **CENSORED**tracted to do, while making a profit.

That is the one that you should vote for.

in my very humble opinion.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Swolf

Practice Squad

#11 : January 28, 2008, 02:39:24 PM

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar ... pryor.html

Echoes of Pryor in Romney Plan
April 03, 2007 4:33 PM

ABC News' Z. Byron Wolf Reports: Gov. Mitt Romney's, R-Mass., call this morning for a set of timetables for withdrawal from Iraq -- private timetables unknown to the public -- bears some striking similarities to an idea hatched and endorsed by Democratic Senator Mark Pryor, D-Arkansas.

Pryor has been alone in his calls for a classified timetable and has drawn skepticism from the reporters who wrote about them, as well as his Democratic and Republican colleagues who would not support them.

While he did eventually vote for the supplemental spending bill last week, Pryor was the lone Democrat to vote against the Democratic withdrawal plan in the Senate (besides "Independent Democrat" Sen. Joe Lieberman, I/D-Conn).

Pryor, like many Republicans across the aisle, worries that if there is a timetable for withdrawal it will give too much information to terrorists plotting in Iraq. Setting a secret timetable would allow the US military to be more stern with the Iraqi government without advertising to the enemy.

Pryor's communications director, Michael Teague, points out that when congressional delegations go to Iraq and elsewhere -- such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's current trip to Syria -- the travels are kept secret to insure the safety of the lawmakers. American troops, said Teague, should be afforded the same luxury.

Teague asked if anybody remembers "when Geraldo was in Afghanistan, drawing troop movements on the ground with a stick?" and he noted that back then, "People went ballistic on him."

April 3, 2007 in Vote 2008: Republicans | Permalink | User Comments (0)

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 27, 2008, 01:22:23 PM

if I was going to vote (which Im not), Id vote for Ron Paul. Thats how little I like the republican party cands.

if you refuse to impliment your right to vote, you can't complain how things turn out.

you whine like a little school girl on a constant basis, yet you are not going to vote?

makes no sense.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 28, 2008, 02:35:42 PM

He reminds me of a snake.

Why? Because he wears a suit and has a tan? Good lord, man.

That being said I wouldn't vote for Romney if it was him vs Hillary. I will write in Huckabee, along with alot of other people.

You are free to do that. I don't know why anyone would even waste a vote in that situation...but whatever makes you feel better, man.

No, I say that because he is this years John Kerry. He has flip floped on the issues important to me. I dont trust a word out of his mouth.

Yes, pray tell.

and also - which politician on either side fo the aisle - has not changed a position.

McCain was against the tax cuts that stimulated the economy, he was for giving legal status to illegals, and he co-sponsored the first bill by an American to limit free speech (McCain Feingold). He still refuses to sign the "No Tax Increase" pledge.

Huckabee was a tax and spend Republican - in order to balance the budget in Arkansas. Now he say's he doesn't think we need to raise taxes...? But check into it and you'll find that the state's budget is no longer balanced. Huck is trying to get you to tolerate his religious beliefs while implying that we shouldn't tolerate Romney's - how very un-Republican.

Guliani - he's been against Gay marriage and now he's for it. He's been against abortion - all along, VERY un-Republican. He is ANTI-2nd ammendment.

Hillary was for giving illegal aliens drivers liscenses - until people in NY found out about it, so now she say's she's against it. Although she says we need a guest worker plan or at least a way for illegals to become legal, while they're in this country.

Obama - who really knows what he's for? He's only a first term US senator and prior to that he was a single term Illinois Sentor. He's a lawyer that's worked for as many lobbyists (Resko as he has poor people - one can only guess from which group he made his money. Or we can wait until February 25th when Rezko goes on trial. Obama + Rezko what's the real story

Edwards - man, this guy has been on so many sides of an issue it's hard to pin one on him. Lets suffice it say he made his money suing insurance companies for wealth and profit.

So what was your point again?

Look for the guy that has exemplified what he speaks today. I think Romney is that man. He is a man of conviction who's religioin does not support abortion. He has been succesful in business, he saved the Olympics and he was a good state Republican governor in one of the most liberal in the country.

And again I'm no where NEAR Morman. I am just happy the man has religious beliefs and moral convictions to tell him when he wanders off a path...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 27, 2008, 10:01:58 PM

The guy seems like just what we need.

http://www.fiveforfighting.com/Huck/HuckJohnAudio_1-2.mp3

go read any of the posts on this board about Huckabee.

anyone that votes for him should be hit in the face with a sack of bricks after they exit the voting booth.

jmo though.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 20
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talk me out of voting for Huck « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools