Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What draft position would make you the most angry? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#90 : January 28, 2008, 07:53:02 PM

I disagree. Safety can be a high-impact position (see Ed Reed). It's just that IMHO there's no Reed-caliber player in this draft.

In Verner We Trust

watson

Hall of Famer
#91 : January 28, 2008, 08:36:56 PM

id be pissed at Qb bc if we draft a qb i want it to be josh johnson

Johnson will not even be drafted.

I will mortgage the house that Johnson not only will be drafted, but will go higher than projected! Dynamite future ahead of him and he has pedigree, as Marshawn Lynch's cousin. He can probably play any skill position on the field, even return punts and kickoffs. Oh I forgot....he has 4.5 speed!

I doubt he will run a 4.5, he is listed at 4.75.  The kid is built like a pencil, he needs to bulk up a hell of a lot for the NFL.

As for being drafted higher than projected, that isn't difficult because if is a undrafted on many boards.
One of the knocks on Brady when he came out was he was so skinny and not very fast.  I watched a good portion of the Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl and from what I saw, Johnson was the best QB I saw.  His passes had zip and were thrown in places that for the most part only his receiver had a chance at.  I watched Woodson, Flacco and Brennan on Saturday and they were not at all impressive.  Ainge was probably the best of the Qbs, but he was nothing special.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#92 : January 29, 2008, 12:50:51 AM

id be pissed at Qb bc if we draft a qb i want it to be josh johnson

Johnson will not even be drafted.

I will mortgage the house that Johnson not only will be drafted, but will go higher than projected! Dynamite future ahead of him and he has pedigree, as Marshawn Lynch's cousin. He can probably play any skill position on the field, even return punts and kickoffs. Oh I forgot....he has 4.5 speed!

I doubt he will run a 4.5, he is listed at 4.75.  The kid is built like a pencil, he needs to bulk up a hell of a lot for the NFL.

As for being drafted higher than projected, that isn't difficult because if is a undrafted on many boards.

Undrafted on many boards? You mean mocks and that's all they are. Take a look at the East - West Shrine game and then write about him. Listen to the football people talk about him and his speed (4.5) and then talk about him. Look at his runs, that was a heck of a lot faster than 4.75! Josh was also MVP of the game by the way. No pun intended but I think that between myself watching the game and listening to what was said, I have a pretty good grasp of JJ. and don't necessarily value your opinion at all.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#93 : January 29, 2008, 10:45:12 AM

Undrafted on many boards? You mean mocks and that's all they are.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what draft boards mjs is referring to myself.  See, for example, Scout, Inc's evaluation of him:

Overall: Johnson has played in 34 games during his first three years (2004-'06) moving into the starting role in 2005 and completing 518 of 764 attempts (67.8-percent) for 6,711 yards with 70 touchdowns compared to just 14 interceptions. He also rushed for 1,138 yards and 17 touchdowns on 206 carries (5.5 average) from 2004-'06. Johnson, a small school quarterback with NFL tools, is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2008 class. He needs to add bulk to his tall but lanky frame and he still has much room to improve in terms of reading coverage and making his progressions. Unfortunately for Johnson, there's only so much more he's going to learn playing another season at the non-scholarship DI-AA level. Johnson will have his best chances to improve his draft stock during the post-season, where scouts can evaluate him against better competition at an all-star game and at the scouting combine. From what we've seen on film thus far, Johnson has enough upside to grade out as a late-Day 1 prospect

My main disagreement with you is that I'm not sure he won't wind up being projected to go fairly high before all is said and done.  Maybe even more than he really should.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#94 : January 29, 2008, 11:40:48 AM

I must be missing something on the busts percentages.  4 championship game QBs, three were first round drafts one was a sixth round bonus pick.  So teams out of fear should pass on the first three and draft the fourth guy. That doesn't feel like a sound plan to me even if the fourth guy is the best of the bunch.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

TRJ997

Second String

#95 : January 29, 2008, 11:49:16 AM

RB is a position I'd like to avoid in the 1st round. Not because of the talent we have, but because I think the NFL is becomming a dual back league. Build the oline and rushing success will come. There are just too many injuries at the RB position . . . quantity over quality is my mantra.

QB is a position I'd love to take in the 1st if there was appropriate talent. Unfortunatlely, Brohm is the only possibility and I'm not sure he warrants a 1st rounder. A lot of posters here seem to think that we can throw any mid-rounder or FA vet at the position and we'll be fine. While its true that you can win a Super Bowl with an average game manager (see Brad Johnson 5 years ago), an elite QB is the most essential ingredient to having a perennial Super Bowl contender.

The fact of the matter is, elite QB's rarely hit the FA market. Drew Brees is the exception to the rule, and I was upset at the time that we didn't make a play for him. We didn't make the same mistake with Garcia and he played very well (although not elite). Unfortunately his career is coming to an end and we need a replacement.

Draft evaluators are getting better, and there look to be some quality NFL QB's drafted in the 1st round the last couple years. Drafting a QB after the 1st round is much more uncertain, however. Here's a list of QB's drafted in the 2nd through 5th rounds between 2002 and 2005:

Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene, Kyle Orton, Stefan LeFors, Dan Orlovsky, Adrian McPherson, Matt Schaub, Luke McCown, Craig Krenzel, Dave Ragone, Chris Simms, Seneca Wallace, Brian St. Pierre, Josh McCown, David Garrard, Rohan Davey, Randy Fasani, Kurt Kittner, Brandon Doman, Craig Nall.

We will have to see how the 2nd round QB's taken in the last two years work out. I want a franchise QB ever so badly and I'd rather not pass on one because we have McCown on the roster.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#96 : January 29, 2008, 12:28:09 PM

I must be missing something on the busts percentages. 4 championship game QBs, three were first round drafts one was a sixth round bonus pick. So teams out of fear should pass on the first three and draft the fourth guy. That doesn't feel like a sound plan to me even if the fourth guy is the best of the bunch.

Slight correction. Two firsts, a second and a 6th were the draft places of the guys who played QB last weekend.

Still not a real good reason to shy away from a QB in the first round. If a team believes the guy is good enough to draft in the first round and they want a QB, it behooves them to select him.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#97 : January 30, 2008, 05:00:01 PM

I must be missing something on the busts percentages. 4 championship game QBs, three were first round drafts one was a sixth round bonus pick. So teams out of fear should pass on the first three and draft the fourth guy. That doesn't feel like a sound plan to me even if the fourth guy is the best of the bunch.

Slight correction. Two firsts, a second and a 6th were the draft places of the guys who played QB last weekend.

Still not a real good reason to shy away from a QB in the first round. If a team believes the guy is good enough to draft in the first round and they want a QB, it behooves them to select him.

I should probably look it up... eli, first. Rivers, first, Brady 6th rnd bonus pick, and oh right Favre.... Don't know what I was thinking....

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What draft position would make you the most angry? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools