Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: QB position « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 29, 2008, 11:47:44 AM

Woodson has a terribly slow release and will get picked a lot in the NFL. Flacco has really slow feet. Neither is a good fit for Grudens offense. If they don't go with Brohm in the first, I could see them taking Henne in the 2nd. He really impressed the scouts in the bowl game and then even more with the Sr. Bowl practices.

I hear that kind of thing said all the time. How mobile was Gannon in Gru's offense?  What people say and what I see just don't seem the meld. How mobile was Brad?  Maybe Gru likes mobile guys but to say you have to be able to rush for yards to work his offense, well that doesn't seem to jive with the facts.  At least I don't remember Gannon being a rushing threat.  ??

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 29, 2008, 11:49:20 AM

I like Woodson best of the supposed 1st round QBs and would love it if the Bucs drafted him.

Yikes. You and I clearly watch different games.
I'm not basing an evaluation of any QB off of the Senior Bowl game. Show me his tools and his real game film.

I didn't even watch sr bowl. I'm thinking of the games I watched him and other possible 1st round QBs play in college.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 29, 2008, 11:50:59 AM

According to Roy Cummings (I know not the most popular guy on the boards) Jon Gruden was intensly scouting QB's in Mobile, namely Andre Woodson and Joe Flacco. New video on ww.tbo.com/sports/bucs

and that should surprise anyone...boy what a shocker Gruden scouting college QB's...

i'm just as shocked as i was when he was allegedly scouting brady quinn last year and supposedly loved alex smith so much the year before that we were definitely going to trade up for him...man, i never learn...

i really think mccown has it all, and i hope we don't pick a QB so early (top 3 rounds) that we feel obligated to give him a shot at the starting job before luke....

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 29, 2008, 11:56:45 AM

Woodson's tools on the practice field before all scouts was seen as lacking at senior bowl week.   He has very little chance of being a 1st round pick unless he rebounds in the combine.

No one is basing the evaluation of the QB's based on the senior bowl game.  But the practices (which are more important).  This is where Woodson failed to elavate himself from the rest of the pack.  Sure his game film may salvage his value but teams are reluctant to go with players that have so many drawbacks as a 1st round pick.  I see him as a 2nd rounder at best and suprisingly Henne may end up being picked in the second round now.   Breenan has hurt his stock once again and the combine will be necessary for him to show up guns blazing just to have a chance as a day one pick.  More than likely Colt ends up as a day two pick.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#19 : January 29, 2008, 02:19:41 PM

They said that really did a bad job of trying to make these guys fits his system with less than a week of practices instead of working with the talents they already had. Typical Martz IMO, always the egomaniac trying to prove that his system works best.

Martz system does work best considering he made Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, Mike Furrey, etc into recongizable players in this league.

Martz is a very good offensive coordinator when it comes to squeezing out talent and maximizing it. I would not expect collegiate players that have not been exposed to a pro offense like Martz to understand it.

I didn't say his system doesn't work, I said Martz again proved himself to be an ass with the practices. Senior Bowl week is supposed to be about running college prospects through pro style practices, not forcing them into a NFL team's system. It was a disservice to those young men to force them into a system that takes years to learn an expect them to shine during the practices. Did Gruden try to make the QB learn his version of the WCO when he coached at the Senior Bowl? No. He gave them a dumbed down gameplan based on the tenants of the WCO, but he still allowed their talents to shine through during the practices. Martz had these guys doing 5 and 7 step drops and timing patterns which is absolutely ridiculous for 4 days worth of freaking practice. The result, darn near all of the South's QBs looked craptastic during the weeks worth of practices, not just Woodson.

INstead of making the game and practices about the Seniors and highlighting their abilities, he made the week about his style of ffense as if we hadn't seen it before. Which is why most of the scouts were upset with the QB workouts. The practices were almost worthless.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 29, 2008, 02:24:34 PM

I will have to agree to disagree.  Martz is part of the 49ers organization which puts a lot of emphasis on the senior bowl practices.  In other words other than the Bucs, the 49ers draft heavily from the senior bowl as well.

It may not be what the scouts from other teams want to see but for the 49ers scouts trying to figure out what players are fits to the newly acquired Martz and his offense it was invaluable.   

Senior Bowl week is supposed to be about running college prospects through pro style practices, not forcing them into a NFL team's system

But from the 49ers perspective not only do they want to see how college prospects respond to pro style practices,  but also the new offensive system that the 49ers will be implimenting.  Those that respond well to it obviously have a higher chance of being drafted by the 49ers while those that struggled may not be given an oppurtunity to be drafted by the 49ers.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#21 : January 29, 2008, 02:35:04 PM

There are so many more ways to evaluate talent than just running the players through the gamut of your offensive system in 4 days. Specifically at QB, you just aren't going to get a proper evaluation of talent that way. The best way would have been to run the basics of your offense. You just can't expect guys to give any type of decent peformance when you have them doing 3, 5 and 7 step drops in practices. People took notice of that and called Martz on it, McShay and Mayock mostly.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 29, 2008, 08:01:20 PM

I think Woodson can be a solid NFL QB... just not in our system. Not a knock on the kid but that release hurts to watch if you're a WCO proponent. If Brohm were to fall to us I wouldn't at all mind seeing him in a Bucs uni.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 29, 2008, 08:03:51 PM

I like Woodson best of the supposed 1st round QBs and would love it if the Bucs drafted him.

Yikes. You and I clearly watch different games.
I'm not basing an evaluation of any QB off of the Senior Bowl game. Show me his tools and his real game film.

His release is too deliberate to play in a WCO.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#24 : January 29, 2008, 09:32:42 PM

we will not draft a QB in round 1

Don't put money on that.  While I agree it is not likely, if the top targets are gone, or if there is a QB there that Gruden/Allen really likes, expect us to pull the trigger.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 29, 2008, 10:05:10 PM

Woodson has a terribly slow release and will get picked a lot in the NFL. Flacco has really slow feet. Neither is a good fit for Grudens offense. If they don't go with Brohm in the first, I could see them taking Henne in the 2nd. He really impressed the scouts in the bowl game and then even more with the Sr. Bowl practices.

I hear that kind of thing said all the time. How mobile was Gannon in Gru's offense? What people say and what I see just don't seem the meld. How mobile was Brad? Maybe Gru likes mobile guys but to say you have to be able to rush for yards to work his offense, well that doesn't seem to jive with the facts. At least I don't remember Gannon being a rushing threat. ??

Brad, no.  Gannon however, was very mobile.  So much so that a few teams wanted to move him from QB early in his career.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 30, 2008, 10:06:51 AM

Luke McCown is the Future.  You heard it here best.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 30, 2008, 04:43:52 PM

I hear that kind of thing said all the time. How mobile was Gannon in Gru's offense? What people say and what I see just don't seem the meld. How mobile was Brad? Maybe Gru likes mobile guys but to say you have to be able to rush for yards to work his offense, well that doesn't seem to jive with the facts. At least I don't remember Gannon being a rushing threat. ??

Brad, no.  Gannon however, was very mobile.  So much so that a few teams wanted to move him from QB early in his career.

He wasn't mobile when he got to Oaktown and Gru.  Check him out in the SB, you have the dvd.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 30, 2008, 05:01:47 PM

Brad, no. Gannon however, was very mobile. So much so that a few teams wanted to move him from QB early in his career.

Gannon gained over 500 yds rushing in '00.  Brad worked in Gruden's offense because he was accurate and quick getting rid of the ball.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 30, 2008, 10:39:15 PM

Luke McCown is the Future. You heard it here best.

I dont really disagree. I think he has the potiental to be a starter

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: QB position « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools