Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shula fired. « previous next »
Page: 1

: November 27, 2006, 05:18:48 PM

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - Alabama coach Mike Shula was fired after a 6-6 season that ended with three straight losses, including a defeat by state rival Auburn.

Athletic director Mal Moore said Monday that defensive coordinator Joe Kines would serve as interim head coach. A news conference was set for Monday afternoon. Shula was to meet with players late Monday morning.

The firing was first reported by The Tuscaloosa News on its Web site. The newspaper said Shula told his assistant coaches late Sunday night of the dismissal.

Shula, a former Alabama quarterback, led the Crimson Tide to a 10-2 season last year and a Cotton Bowl victory. But his teams were winless in four tries against Auburn. The Tigers beat the Crimson Tide 22-15 on Nov. 18.

Shula's firing means Alabama is looking for a head coach for the fourth time since 2000. The Tide has had seven coaches in the 24 years since Paul "Bear" Bryant's last season in 1982. Bryant had directed the Alabama program for 25 years.

Shula took over the proud but troubled program less than four months before the 2003 season after Mike Price was fired following spring practice for his off-the-field behavior - specifically a night of drinking at a strip club in Pensacola, Fla. Price got the job after Dennis Franchione bolted for Texas A&M.

"Mike and his staff took over our program during a trying period four years ago, and in a number of ways Mike has been an excellent representative of our program," Moore said in a statement. "He personally has displayed impeccable character."

Moore praised Shula for providing "stability for our program through four years of NCAA probation" that end Feb. 1, 2007.

"However, we did not make progress on the field this season and have not been able to maintain the positive momentum necessary to return Alabama football to a place among college football's elite programs," Moore said.

Shula, son of Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Don Shula, spent 15 years as an NFL assistant before he took the Alabama job, but had no experience as a head coach or on a college staff.

He received a new six-year contract in May worth $1.55 million annually. The deal extended his contract two years through early 2012, with a raise of $650,000 plus a $200,000 signing bonus.

The 41-year-old Shula had a 26-23 record in four seasons with the Crimson Tide.

But he is the only Tide coach to lose four consecutive games to Auburn. He came under considerable fire earlier this month when Alabama was stunned by Mississippi State - and former Tide All-American Sylvester Croom, the runner-up to Shula for the Tuscaloosa job in 2003.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6211370

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 27, 2006, 05:22:14 PM

It's a great day to be a Bama fan.

ROLL TIDE!!

BTW..... There is a College Football board, you know.....

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 27, 2006, 05:45:20 PM

I think maybe his father has had some influence in furthering his career to a higher point than he ever deserved.     

#3 : November 27, 2006, 06:01:32 PM

His father and Tony Dungy.

I didn't put this on the college board, matthew, because I have no interest whatsoever in Alabama. I only posted this for those who are interested in it as it relates to the Bucs. Promoting Shula was the second biggest mistake Dungy made during his tenure here.

For those that didn't know, Shula was also drafted by the Bucs in 1987.

bucDsystem

Starter

#4 : November 27, 2006, 06:23:15 PM

we need an OC and he he's familiar with the bucs:)

seriously wouldn't mind him in the scouting dept

to win...you must envision victory -devise a plan -and then have the guts to destroy anything that stands in your way

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 27, 2006, 06:28:25 PM

we need an OC and he he's familiar with the bucs:)

seriously wouldn't mind him in the scouting dept

UUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 27, 2006, 07:33:36 PM

His father and Tony Dungy.

I didn't put this on the college board, matthew, because I have no interest whatsoever in Alabama. I only posted this for those who are interested in it as it relates to the Bucs. Promoting Shula was the second biggest mistake Dungy made during his tenure here.

For those that didn't know, Shula was also drafted by the Bucs in 1987.

What was the biggest?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#7 : November 27, 2006, 07:40:29 PM

You know what this means to Bama?  They may not get the fantastic qb from Plant, Robert Marve. He comitted to Shula.

#8 : November 27, 2006, 08:04:45 PM

What was the biggest?

Annointing Shaun King the uncontested starter.

BucsAddict

Starter

#9 : November 27, 2006, 08:32:30 PM

AHA! Some people were saying Gruden needed an OC!

(joke for those who lack a internet sarcasm detector)

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

bucs8ball

Starter

#10 : November 27, 2006, 11:37:34 PM

Shula's offense in TB:

1st Down: Dunn up the gut, 2 yards
2nd Down: Dunn up the gut, -1 yard
3rd Down: Dilfer incomplete pass
4th Down: Punt

At least Shula got a little better send-off from BAMA than he did here. Remember, he was left behind out of the Pro Bowl coaching contingent.

#11 : November 28, 2006, 08:28:33 AM

Let's see.....26-23 huh?  And a 10-2 mark in there to pad it.  That leaves a 16-21.  That my friends, will never cut it in Tuscaloosa.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 28, 2006, 08:53:10 AM

Let's see.....26-23 huh? And a 10-2 mark in there to pad it. That leaves a 16-21. That my friends, will never cut it in Tuscaloosa.

Very true.

Here's the REAL record that matters.....
1-11...... His record against LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee.
Now THAT my friend will NEVER cut it in Tuscaloosa.

ROLL TIDE!!

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shula fired. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools