Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL to consider play-off re-seeding « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucNGator

Starter

: February 05, 2008, 02:36:38 PM

"You could re-seed right from the beginning, but I think we’d probably address this in smaller steps here," said Goodell. "The focus that we will probably give it in the short-term would be to look at our seeding process. You qualify if you win your division, then you have the two wild-card teams. I think what we’d like to look at is if a wild-card team has a record better than a division winner, should that give the advantage to the wild-card team that has the better record? That will probably be our short-term focus. But as we look at how we continue to innovate and we continue to make our game more interesting to our fan base, we’ll probably look at the broader issues at the same time.”

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=6284

I guess they'll call it the "Gruden Rule" ;D

Is McKay still heading the Competetion Committee??  :o 

........ j/k, it's long overdue for at least some discussion, IMHO.

#1 : February 05, 2008, 02:40:28 PM

Though i don't necessarily agree with it, i can see the reasoning behind it if it forces teams to play all the way thru the final week.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 05, 2008, 02:43:48 PM

I agree with it. I believe the best teams should play in the playoffs. teams can win divisions at 8-8 and 7-9, but teams who don't win their respective divisions that go 10-6 or 9-7 get shafted because they didn't win their division. I think this is the right move honestly.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 05, 2008, 02:47:22 PM

It does seem like a plausible idea. However, it doesn't take into account each individual teams conference opponents.
All divisions are not equal each year in terms of difficulty and truthfully arguments can be made each year which division is the toughest after each season ends.

There is so much parity in the NFL that a few bounces of the ball can effect the outcome of any game. Won/loss records can be deceiving and seeding could be up for debate every season.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 05, 2008, 03:06:49 PM

It would stop what we did this year. I'm all for it.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 05, 2008, 03:38:13 PM

It would stop what we did this year. I'm all for it.

I say I'm all for it, but then again I'm not so sure.  What if you are a division winner and you win your division by one game, but end up tied with a wild card team who had a better conference record?  Who gets seeded higher?  the Division winner or the better conference record?  Those are questions that will come up, but I say don't fix something that seems to be working so well.

#6 : February 05, 2008, 03:45:34 PM

why mess with a good thing?  i think the system is fair the way it is now...   Id like to see 2 more wild card teams added from each conference, so that there's 4 wild cards, and 4 division winners...  and that no team gets a playoff bye...   the 4 wild cards play the 4 division winners in Round 1, and then you go from there... 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 05, 2008, 03:53:40 PM

Sounds like a plan to screw small markets.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

simmstheanswer

Starter

#8 : February 05, 2008, 04:08:14 PM

I agree with it. I believe the best teams should play in the playoffs. teams can win divisions at 8-8 and 7-9, but teams who don't win their respective divisions that go 10-6 or 9-7 get shafted because they didn't win their division. I think this is the right move honestly.

there is no way a division winner doesn't get into the playoffs just b/c they have a worse record then the wildcard teams. all leagues give seeding advantaged to division winners. now, i would be ok with doing away with that. but all division winners need to make the playoffs, whether they're 8-8 or 7-9.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 05, 2008, 04:33:32 PM

It's the fair thing to do, IMO.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 05, 2008, 04:50:32 PM

there is no way a division winner doesn't get into the playoffs just b/c they have a worse record then the wildcard teams. all leagues give seeding advantaged to division winners. now, i would be ok with doing away with that. but all division winners need to make the playoffs, whether they're 8-8 or 7-9.

So let me get this straight.

Div1
TeamA 12-4
TeamB 10-6
TeamC 8-8
TeamD 4-12

Div2
A 16-0
B 9-7
C 5-11
D 5-11

Div3
A 10-6
B 9-7
C 5-11
D 3-13

Div4
A 8-8
B 5-11
C 3-13
D 1-15

You're saying that Div4 team A should get a pass to the playoff's because they won their division when there are clearly 6 other teams that are better? How is that fair?

#11 : February 05, 2008, 06:05:47 PM

why mess with a good thing?  i think the system is fair the way it is now...   Id like to see 2 more wild card teams added from each conference, so that there's 4 wild cards, and 4 division winners...  and that no team gets a playoff bye...   the 4 wild cards play the 4 division winners in Round 1, and then you go from there... 

This is a pretty contradictory post. You think its fine the way it is.... yet you wanna change it?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 05, 2008, 06:14:49 PM

You're saying that Div4 team A should get a pass to the playoff's because they won their division when there are clearly 6 other teams that are better? How is that fair?

yes, because they won the division. It's difficult to win a division in the NFL, you should be rewarded appropriately.

#13 : February 05, 2008, 06:18:24 PM

I agree that there should be benefit from winning your division however I do have issue with shuttin it down as we did because we were locked into the 4 spot. IMO, a division winner should definitely get in but if the wild card has a better record, they should host the game. That would curtail the crap that we had to watch from our own team this year.

As a season tix holder, it sux that I didn't even go to our home finale vs the Panthers because it was no more than another preseason game.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 05, 2008, 06:20:24 PM

I think Goodell should implement his proposal. As this season showed, the team that finished second in the NFC East was far better than the NFC South Champions, and going into the wildcard, the Giants were a win better than the Bucs in the first place (10-6 to 9-7). People always say that you're only as good as you're record, so surely a better team is one with a better record? Therefore, surely the seeds should be based purely on record and should not be affected by divisional championships?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL to consider play-off re-seeding « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools