Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL to consider play-off re-seeding « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 05, 2008, 06:32:50 PM

The Bucs probably would not have been 9-7 if they had played 3 games with their starters.

How does 12-4 sound?

Take the top 6 with the best record. It will stop the shenanigans of fans paying good money only to see backups.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

#16 : February 05, 2008, 06:39:40 PM

Take the top 6 with the best record.

I can't agree with that Unc... there has to be some benefit to winning your division.

However, if a wild card team has a better record, the division winner should go on the road. That, I do like. That would've forced us to keep playing.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#17 : February 05, 2008, 06:42:12 PM

If they were really focusing on the bigger picture, they would have already figured it out. Football... MORE FOOTBALL!!

Add 8 teams, push training camp into June, preseason into July/August. 18 or 20 -game schedule, 2 bye weeks, 3 preseason games. Move the draft up to 3rd week of April rather than 4th. the NFL is the only sporting league in the US where the off-season is actually longer than the regular season. This will effective extend the season by over a month. Which means that we will have football from July to February. 7.5 months of football, with a shorter off-season to deal with.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 05, 2008, 06:44:43 PM

I can agree with that hate. There should be some kind of compensation for a divison winner, but when there are teams who have better records, how would they be factored in if all the playoff spots are filled? I know you can't have everyone with a winning record in the playoffs but something should definately be done.

#19 : February 05, 2008, 07:00:19 PM

I can agree with that hate. There should be some kind of compensation for a divison winner, but when there are teams who have better records, how would they be factored in if all the playoff spots are filled? I know you can't have everyone with a winning record in the playoffs but something should definately be done.

Basically, leave it as it is now except if the wild card team (giants) have the better record than the division winner(bucs), then the WC team hosts the game. That situation would've forced us to continue to play our starters for our remaining games..... especially when we fans are forced to pay full price for tix.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 05, 2008, 07:29:19 PM

Why should there be a benefit to a division winner Hate - if they don't have a top 6 record too bad - they don't go to the tournament.  Top six records go - only have divisions for scheduling not for playoff placement. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 05, 2008, 07:51:07 PM

Why should there be a benefit to a division winner Hate - if they don't have a top 6 record too bad - they don't go to the tournament.  Top six records go - only have divisions for scheduling not for playoff placement. 

I suppose a potential problem that could arise from that is whether to keep the current divisional structure. Essentially, the 4 divisions of each conference would have no real meaning other than to geographically group teams, and so given that each team would basically be competing first and foremost with the conference rather than the division, maybe the way in which the schedules of each team are structured would have to be reformed too.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

#22 : February 05, 2008, 08:05:54 PM

Why should there be a benefit to a division winner Hate - if they don't have a top 6 record too bad - they don't go to the tournament.

Then why have divisions at all?

I'm not in favor of any radical changes. Things are going to well for that, IMO.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 05, 2008, 10:22:43 PM

Take the top 6 with the best record.

I can't agree with that Unc... there has to be some benefit to winning your division.

However, if a wild card team has a better record, the division winner should go on the road. That, I do like. That would've forced us to keep playing.

I'm down with that and to say you don't give division winners a playoff spot makes winning it pointless.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 06, 2008, 10:41:30 AM

I agree with it. I believe the best teams should play in the playoffs. teams can win divisions at 8-8 and 7-9, but teams who don't win their respective divisions that go 10-6 or 9-7 get shafted because they didn't win their division. I think this is the right move honestly.

there is no way a division winner doesn't get into the playoffs just b/c they have a worse record then the wildcard teams. all leagues give seeding advantaged to division winners. now, i would be ok with doing away with that. but all division winners need to make the playoffs, whether they're 8-8 or 7-9.

So let me get this straight.

Div1
TeamA 12-4
TeamB 10-6
TeamC 8-8
TeamD 4-12

Div2
A 16-0
B 9-7
C 5-11
D 5-11

Div3
A 10-6
B 9-7
C 5-11
D 3-13

Div4
A 8-8
B 5-11
C 3-13
D 1-15

You're saying that Div4 team A should get a pass to the playoff's because they won their division when there are clearly 6 other teams that are better? How is that fair?

I disagree that you can say there are six other teams that are clearly better.  You probably thought the Pats were clearly better then the Giants.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 06, 2008, 10:42:45 AM

why mess with a good thing?  i think the system is fair the way it is now...   Id like to see 2 more wild card teams added from each conference, so that there's 4 wild cards, and 4 division winners...  and that no team gets a playoff bye...   the 4 wild cards play the 4 division winners in Round 1, and then you go from there... 

This is a pretty contradictory post. You think its fine the way it is.... yet you wanna change it?

Changing seeding != adding additional teams.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 06, 2008, 10:47:07 AM

I agree that there should be benefit from winning your division however I do have issue with shuttin it down as we did because we were locked into the 4 spot. IMO, a division winner should definitely get in but if the wild card has a better record, they should host the game. That would curtail the crap that we had to watch from our own team this year.

As a season tix holder, it sux that I didn't even go to our home finale vs the Panthers because it was no more than another preseason game.

Did you go to the playoff game?

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#27 : February 06, 2008, 11:02:31 AM

the first year that it's implemented, i'm sure something will come up to make it appear that the old way was more fair....every system is flawed on some level, and i think the right reward for winning your division is a home playoff game.....let the playoffs decide who's better. the steelers and giants have proved that strong wildcard teams can get it done if they deserve to be the league's best.

clintro

Pro Bowler
#28 : February 06, 2008, 11:03:02 AM

I agree that there should be benefit from winning your division however I do have issue with shuttin it down as we did because we were locked into the 4 spot. IMO, a division winner should definitely get in but if the wild card has a better record, they should host the game. That would curtail the crap that we had to watch from our own team this year.

As a season tix holder, it sux that I didn't even go to our home finale vs the Panthers because it was no more than another preseason game.

I believe this is what they are considering....for seeding usage only!!!

not determining who get in to the playoffs.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#29 : February 06, 2008, 02:51:54 PM

Mathmaticly the example someone showed here had 143 wins & 113 losses, not possible there has to be a total of 128 wins & 128 losses in each division. 16 (teams in either AFC or NFC) x16 (games each) = 256/2 = 128.
What happend this year with us and the giants was a one game differance fluke. for the sake of changing things because of one game and making winning the division system useless (other than to decide if a division winner or a division loser with the same record should get the higher seed if just overthinking and stupid. If they are going to do that then they may as well make NFC play all other 15 NFC teams and 1 AFC team, and same with the AFC and be done with divisions, it would get rid of the easy schedule crap because we would all play the same team other than the 1 AFC team, that could be the last game of the year and the best record NFC team would play the worst record AFC team, and vice versa.  Sounds stupid huh? well so does changing things for the sake of changing them.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL to consider play-off re-seeding « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools