Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia and Bucs talkin extension « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

#30 : February 11, 2008, 12:52:09 AM

I think the Bucs were something like 6-5 with Griese and an argument can be made that he was a reasonable choice to start the next season, which he did. This is starting to head down the road that "I'm going to blame the coach not matter what is pointed out to me" which is fine.

I think Simms has been handed more than enough opportunity, if what you're attempting to state is that he hasn't, and there's been a problem in each of those whether it's poor play or injury. I don't think his skill set matches a WCO and he'll struggle with any coach who uses it.

The mistake that Gruden made in '06 was not bringing in a viable backup for Simms...leaving him with Gradkowski. A move should probably have been made when McCown got hurt.

Actually no, I wasn't trying to say "it's all Gruden's fault.." just to simply state, that if Gruden knows that someone doesn't fill the bill for his offense, to be up front and call a turd a turd for it, instead of "grooming" them, especially considering the role QB plays in this system. I don't see another "Simms" scenario happening anytime soon, but then again no one is exempt from it happening again.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#31 : February 11, 2008, 04:24:47 AM

Personally, I don't know if I like that or not.

Yeah, I hate it when the Bucs sign their best players to more years.    They should bring back Ryan Leaf, he'd be much cheaper.    Then they could afford to pay young guys like Gradkowski more as well.
Why don't we re-sign Doug  Williams, aren't they the same age? :o

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 11, 2008, 04:45:13 AM

Garcia accepted a backup role with the fleagles and I am sure he knows that he is not likely to play 16 full games without a lost time injury. McCown will replace him at some point and never look back. The only advantage Garcia has over McCown is experience. McCown is just as accurate and has a much stronger arm, AND he can move. He will learn to get rid of the ball quicker as he gets more comfortable playing at this level. Remember, he still has less than a full season of actual game experience.

I'm sure Garcia will be more effective in '08. The OL will be solidified and he will have increased production from our RBs as well as an upgraded receiving corps. He will improve on last year's dink and dunk methods. He will also be injured and unable to perform. He is a great backup IMO, but he doesn't have the endurance of a Brett Favre. I believe McCown is the future for this team and Garcia hinders his progression. Gruden will not change QBs unless he is forced to. All we can do is wait for the inevitable.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 11, 2008, 06:34:48 AM

Wow.. if a late 30's QB is one of our best players.. then we are in very bad shape.
Yeah, and the Packers feel the same way.

You are a hater, and a toolbox.

Why do I resort to namecalling?  Because some of you guys are morons.

The Bucs did go to the playoffs and win 2 of 3 the last three years (divisions, right?)

Corpse, you are an idiot...world class. I read, and some opinions are subjective, but yours are objectively retarded.
'claps'

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 11, 2008, 08:29:33 AM

Good for short term, but not for long term.  Plus considering the last long term project that Gruden tried to work with, I'm not sure yet where we would stand if he were to try it again?

OMG, PDub!  where you been bro...good to see you man...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#35 : February 11, 2008, 09:54:01 AM

forget about Chris Sims...  he's a back up QB at best...   Garcia will do for now..   if he signs and extension, it will free up the Bucs to work harder for WR and RB to improve our offense...     id like to see Garcia with backups Pennington, McCown and Sims in that order.     Drop Godawfulski and Plumber...

#36 : February 11, 2008, 10:05:01 AM

Garcia accepted a backup role with the fleagles and I am sure he knows that he is not likely to play 16 full games without a lost time injury. McCown will replace him at some point and never look back. The only advantage Garcia has over McCown is experience. McCown is just as accurate and has a much stronger arm, AND he can move. He will learn to get rid of the ball quicker as he gets more comfortable playing at this level. Remember, he still has less than a full season of actual game experience.

I'm sure Garcia will be more effective in '08. The OL will be solidified and he will have increased production from our RBs as well as an upgraded receiving corps. He will improve on last year's dink and dunk methods. He will also be injured and unable to perform. He is a great backup IMO, but he doesn't have the endurance of a Brett Favre. I believe McCown is the future for this team and Garcia hinders his progression. Gruden will not change QBs unless he is forced to. All we can do is wait for the inevitable.

I agree sparky except for the point about Garcia starting. I don't think it hurts McCown to learn on the sidelines for another year or two. Can't beat Garcia's mix of experience along with his consistency and that big play potential.

Depending on how FA turns out and a draft pick or two, this team should be a contender. Garcia can win more games and take you farther into the post season but like you said, if healthy.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#37 : February 11, 2008, 10:15:06 AM

Wow.. if a late 30's QB is one of our best players.. then we are in very bad shape.

Why do I resort to namecalling?  Because some of you guys are morons.

The Bucs did go to the playoffs and win 2 of 3 the last three years (divisions, right?)

Corpse, you are an idiot...world class.  I read, and some opinions are subjective, but yours are objectively retarded.
There is a 3000 mile difference between Bret Favre and Jeff Garcia. Favre will be 10 times the qb that Garcia ever was even at Favre's worst.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 11, 2008, 10:18:16 AM

Did two other NFC South teams play in the conference championship game 2 of the last 3 years? (One year in which the Bucs won the division?)

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 11, 2008, 11:24:51 AM

Why do I resort to namecalling? Because some of you guys are morons.

Corpse, you are an idiot...world class. I read, and some opinions are subjective, but yours are objectively retarded.
There is a 3000 mile difference between Bret Favre and Jeff Garcia. Favre will be 10 times the qb that Garcia ever was even at Favre's worst.
Well as it is, Garcia is a very valuable member of this team.  It is called REALITY.

You should try it sometime.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 11, 2008, 11:25:49 AM

Did two other NFC South teams play in the conference championship game 2 of the last 3 years? (One year in which the Bucs won the division?)
And how does this change anything?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 11, 2008, 11:30:44 AM

There is virtually no downside to extending Garcia.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 11, 2008, 11:35:04 AM

There is virtually no downside to extending Garcia.
This is why this thread makes no sense to me.

Anyone who is "not sure" if we should talk extension should at least question themselves as to why it would be so bad.  The man does not play ball like he is 38, and he is the best QB I have seen the Bucs use in a very very very very long time.

And now people are not sure wether a 2 year extension is a good thing?  Hmmm...

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#43 : February 11, 2008, 11:38:44 AM

Yep.. remember people. You were complaining about cap hell.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 11, 2008, 11:40:31 AM

Yep.. remember people. You were complaining about cap hell.
Yep.  But we have a GM that understands that concept better than you do.

NEXT.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia and Bucs talkin extension « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools