Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wow! What Is Mike Mayock Thinking? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 12, 2008, 12:05:43 PM

we got a starter in each of the first 3 rounds... not just a starter, but GOOD STARTERS. Long term good starters.

if we could do that every year we'd have a monstrous team.

I'd give us an A
Acutally first 4 rounds Tanard was a 4th rounder. Although Black doesn't really start, so just 3 of the first 4 rounds.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 12, 2008, 12:08:37 PM

how is sabby a C- when he didnt even step on the field?
Because he had a lot of talent, but never got to show it. SO it was a below average pick until proven to be an absolutely disastrous one.

but if OBF rates on production, why not an F, or incomplete? that was my question.
Just trying to rationalize his grade, but yeah, I would have gone with the incomplete as well.

RayJayinTBay

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 12, 2008, 12:24:05 PM

Just a question??? Why was the topic title changed??? Are we not allowed to say the stupid on these boards. I'm not calling another poster stupid, but an analyst. What is wrong with that???

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 12, 2008, 12:30:18 PM

Maybe Mayock is friends with the PR reporters?

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 12, 2008, 01:31:12 PM

the censor patrol at its finest

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 12, 2008, 01:35:41 PM

While Mayock might not be a Guru, a few thing to think about the last cant miss runningback Reggie Bush has similar traits to that of McFadden. the questions not weather or not McFadden was great in college but weather or not his game can translate to the NFL, I for one dont see him as an ever down back with his running style and thin frame.

As far as Sabby being a C no way you can even grade a player on running down and covering punts and kickoffs, so not enough of a body of work to give a free assessment

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

mediator12

Practice Squad

#21 : February 12, 2008, 01:48:00 PM

Mayock gets to watch coaches tape and not TV feeds.  He gets to talk to College coaches one on one about players.  He talks to other NFL player personnel.  And, he gets unprecedented access to the most important draft events in the Senior Bowl and the Combine.  The guy gets better information than even Mel Kiper used to get.

Then, he makes up his own opinions of how HE sees players.  He uses his own criteria to grade and pays little attention to outside sources other than the ones he gets from Charles Davis, Brian Baldinger, and Sterling Sharp at the NFL network.

Therefore, he stays ahead of the trends of online scouting services and calls it how he sees it.  I respect that, even when I disagree with his assessment, which is not very often.  Guy does the preparation and work to be accountable for what he says, even when he is wrong.  He is one of the few guys who shapes what scouts think, instead of the other way around.

So, I think he thinks exactly what he says.  What did he say about Peterson last year again?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 12, 2008, 02:11:04 PM

There was rumblings of McFadden was considered a system back earlier in the year so this is not suprising.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 12, 2008, 03:52:52 PM

I actually like Mayock - he's one of the few that really breaks these guys down using tape. A lot of the "scouts" are simply reporters obsessed with one topic - the draft.

That said, he has made some idiosyncratic calls in the past - and lets face it - GMs make a lot of those kinds of calls as well.

Personally, I liked McFadden a lot in college, but I could see why some teams might have him rated behind somebody else. Having said that, I can't see him dropping past 10, much less getting to 20.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 12, 2008, 04:02:58 PM

Last year we had 3 GOOD starters....that alone should give us an A... down the road we will still have Black,Hayward,Sabby,Darby and the team speaks glowingly of Hamilton... and even Peterson..a project made it on the field before going on IR.
     This imo is not only an A draft but potentially the best draft they ever had period....9 out of 10 ain't bad.

#25 : February 12, 2008, 04:46:57 PM

I didn't hear Mike say that and personally I am not scouting this year, but from where he's sitting, Mike is probably the best there is out there right now.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 12, 2008, 04:56:01 PM

he actually had the nerve to say that Darren McFadden isn't worthy to be drafted within the top 20 picks

Ummmm, let's get a little perspective on Mayock's comments and his ONGOING analysis of the upcoming draft, shall we?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/12/arkansas-darren-mcfadden-is-slipping-down-nfl-draft-boards/

And here's a link to the actual video in which Mayock makes his comments:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806a38a9

acacius

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 12, 2008, 04:59:36 PM

I would be shocked if McFadden dropped out if the top 5 let alone the top 10. Is Mayock watching the same guy as everyone else?

In fairness, I get the impression that May**CENSORED** isn't saying that McFadden will actually drop that low, just that *he* wouldn't take McFadden that high. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 12, 2008, 04:49:28 PM

Dropping to around 20, now that would be convenient...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 12, 2008, 06:46:45 PM

May**CENSORED** is right, the first 19 teams should pass on him. 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Wow! What Is Mike Mayock Thinking? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools