Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed anyone? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 22, 2008, 11:22:49 PM

desean was an every down playmaker in college and i'm quite sure if you put him with an NFL strength and conditioning coach he could put on 10-15 lbs w/o losing his speed or quickness.  bottom line, the guy is a burner and is very explosive in space.  i'd like to see what a creative offenisve mind like gruden can cook up for a player with that type of rare quickness and agility.  i hope his stock does dip because people think he is too small.  that will give us another nice option @ 20. 

You want the Bucs to draft a guy who's body type has to change and play style has to change to become more physical with the Number 20 pick?

Too much projection for me.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : February 22, 2008, 11:27:05 PM

desean was an every down playmaker in college and i'm quite sure if you put him with an NFL strength and conditioning coach he could put on 10-15 lbs w/o losing his speed or quickness. bottom line, the guy is a burner and is very explosive in space. i'd like to see what a creative offenisve mind like gruden can cook up for a player with that type of rare quickness and agility. i hope his stock does dip because people think he is too small. that will give us another nice option @ 20.

You want the Bucs to draft a guy who's body type has to change and play style has to change to become more physical with the Number 20 pick?

Too much projection for me.
Strikes a chord with me, Ryan24.  I just feel in the NFL he is going to be more of a situational, option type wideout.  NOt an everydown guy.  Not saying he won;t be successful, but definitely saying he has a lot to prove given his size (or lack thereof). 

Someone mentioned Roscoe Parrish, and I am in that same vein of thinking.  And I doubt DeSean is going to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle.  That is a ton of weight to put on for a small guy like that...

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 22, 2008, 11:44:12 PM

does he need to put on 20+ lbs of muscle? i admit he needs to get in the gym but we aren't drafting him to win a bench press competition.  people keep saying corners will jam him at the line. there is more than one way to get open you know.  you think guys like welker or galloway get separation by out muscling corners? you cant teach speed, quickness and elusiveness and this guy is in the elite category in those attributes.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 23, 2008, 12:11:38 AM

does he need to put on 20+ lbs of muscle? i admit he needs to get in the gym but we aren't drafting him to win a bench press competition. people keep saying corners will jam him at the line. there is more than one way to get open you know. you think guys like welker or galloway get separation by out muscling corners? you cant teach speed, quickness and elusiveness and this guy is in the elite category in those attributes.
Well Welker does fine in that spread New England offense.

How would he do in Tampa?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 23, 2008, 12:18:07 AM

Welker still has 15 lbs on him.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 23, 2008, 12:19:07 AM

Welker still has 15 lbs on him.
LMAO!

He is shorter, and probably faster too.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 24, 2008, 08:31:06 PM

Sweed had a pretty good run at the 40...Sub 4.5...

#37 : February 24, 2008, 08:37:05 PM

better than Manningham.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 24, 2008, 08:42:18 PM

BTW - Sweed came in at 6'3 215 and ran a 4.46 not a 4.52

3 more guys I like:
Donnie Avery   5'11" 4.4 40
Andre Caldwell 6'      4.37 40
Devin Thomas  6'1"   4.4 40

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#39 : February 24, 2008, 08:43:13 PM

I really am not buying the 40 times as the end all with Mario and Sweed. Sweed rarely got separation in college, always made his highlight catches over CBs who were on him like Jaime Dukes on a buffet. Mario meanwhile beat deep every CB who was put on him from Ikegwuonu to King to Malcolm Jenkins once (even though Henne screwed it up), maybe even Tracy Porter. The times will undoubtedly lower/raise those guys' stock, but I'm not buying into either. I still think Mario has some game and Sweed is a possession WR who often creates no separation.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 24, 2008, 08:43:56 PM

The Bucs have interviewed Sweed at the Senior Bowl and the Combine for what it is worth

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 24, 2008, 08:51:25 PM

I agree with you Ryan24.  Gain weight?  Mike Mayock said Desean entered college weighing 169 and still weights 169.  He said he either can't gain weight or he hasn't gotten in the weight room which also troubles him.

There are other speed burners in this draft who have much more muscle.  Dexter Jackson, and Eddie Royal burned it up and they have 15 lbs on him.  Either one of them would be a better pick.  There are some other guys over 215 who ran in the 4.4's.  

I'm beginning to agree with those who say not to go with a wr in the 1st round....but I still like Malcom Kelley quite a bit.

.....just my opinion

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 24, 2008, 10:06:04 PM

Totally agree - if the guy couldn't get the weight up for the combine, how the heck is he going to gain the weight during TC and preseason in the Florida heat?

The kid was a great playmaker, but 20 is just to big a risk. For those folks that say he's not going to have trouble getting off press, have they seen Sinorice Moss? That's probably his best comparison, and Moss is bigger than him! I've seen comparisons to Parrish and Welker, but those guys weren't pegged to the first round. Roscoe Parrish was a 2, Welker was a (5th?) and even when he was traded it was  for a 2 and  7th.

I'd go with Eddie Royal (obviously not at 20), as I think he is a lot better value, and much more physical.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 24, 2008, 10:14:50 PM

Totally agree - if the guy couldn't get the weight up for the combine, how the heck is he going to gain the weight during TC and preseason in the Florida heat?

The kid was a great playmaker, but 20 is just to big a risk. For those folks that say he's not going to have trouble getting off press, have they seen Sinorice Moss? That's probably his best comparison, and Moss is bigger than him! I've seen comparisons to Parrish and Welker, but those guys weren't pegged to the first round. Roscoe Parrish was a 2, Welker was a (5th?) and even when he was traded it was for a 2 and 7th.

I'd go with Eddie Royal (obviously not at 20), as I think he is a lot better value, and much more physical.

Welker was undrafted.  And on the Bucs practice squad for a short time.

#44 : February 24, 2008, 10:15:58 PM

Yeah, they let him get away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed anyone? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools