Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Latest on Rice... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #15 : November 28, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »

FYI, Escobar:

For 2007 it's Quarles $1.3 million, Phillips $1.75 million, Kelly $2.6 million, Spires $4.5 million, Rice $7.25 million.

That's $17 million in salary savings, ignoring the cap/prorated signing bonuses. Of that group, Quarles is relatively cheap and worth keeping, and Kelly (if healthy) is also reasonable. If the Bucs could get Clements, they could have BK/NC at CB and move Ronde so they could have Barber/Allen at the safeties. They could keep Bolden at nickel, since he's making about $800,000 next year, and re-sign Buchanon for the dime/PR position (he's making $600,000 this year).

I kind of like that!

And on top of it, it's an all-veteran crew with room to develop young guys like Zemaitis, Adams, Pearson and Nicholson.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #16 : November 28, 2006, 06:32:09 PM »

Good points here. I like Rice but if we could get something in return (draft pick R1 or R2 or a young impact player or the ability to go after someone special) I am all for parting ways with Simeon. He will be a year older and we need to infuse some youth.
We aren't getting a R1 or R2 or R5 for Rice.  The question is "if" he can return to form.  But what team needs a returned to form Rice more than the Bucs?  Nobody. If he could return to form he would be well worth $7.25 mil salary for next year.  But he's not. He won't ever return to form.  You certainly can't bank on it.  Thats called getting old. Happens to the best of us.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #17 : November 28, 2006, 06:35:55 PM »

DE is not like QB, you can acclimate much faster and can gain alot more from practice reps than a QB, so it's not as essential to max out game snaps for a rookie DE, IMO...you don't get a ton of different looks, moves, etc that you don't see in practice. and if we make another marcus jonesregan upshaw pick, we'll regret not keeping a veteran like rice in the fold when we could still afford to.

See my post above this one. Reconfigure the defensive backfield after signing Nate Clements. At LB keep Quarles and move him to SLB, make Ruud the opening day starter at MLB, keep Brooks around for veteran leadership and allow him to retire a Buc and play Winborn a lot. After letting Rice and Spires go, sign Justin Smith and start White at the DE's, Hovan will be back, then consider a guy like Sands or better yet, Redding at DT.

DL: Smith, Redding, Hovan, White
LB: Brooks/Winborn, Ruud, Quarles
CB: Kelly, Clements
S: Barber, Allen

Anybody here like that?

escobar

Hall of Famer

« #18 : November 28, 2006, 06:45:24 PM »

Sounds decent DTG but there could be one minor problem with that. I believe I read somewhere that while Ronde is the first ever corner to get 20/20, he stated he wants to get 30/30. If they moved him to safety that wouldn't be possible. Would that be enough for him to refuse the switch? Who knows, but it could. Also, I'm all for keeping Quarles IF they move him back to his old spot, but he seems to be getting injured too frequently to play the middle any longer.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #19 : November 28, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »

Escobar, I believe that moving Barber to S wound help him get to 30-30 quicker.  Barber is great at reading the QB and recting which would give him the benifit when playing the recievers as a S and we already know he is a good blitzer which Phillips does more then Barber.  I think that Barbers final destination in this D is S and I would love to see it happen next year if we bring in Clements and keep Kelly.  Then when Kelly's deal is done hopefully Zemitis would be ready to step in.

As for the Dline, I think that We might be better off keeping Rice and letting him and White play DE while having an early pick rookie being the situational rusher with Jenkins.  DT can also be taken early in the draft, I like Thomas UF, and let him be a situational player with Whyms and Hovan.  The LB squad could be set by switching Brooks side and allowing Winborn to play or bringing in Briggs/June.  Then at S we could have Barber/Allen and a pick to rotate.  I believe that would se our D up for a nice rebound.  This d isn't that many players away from a return to glory, they just need to get their players healthy.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #20 : November 28, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »

This d isn't that many players away from a return to glory, they just need to get their players healthy.

This d isn't that many players away from a return to glory, they just need to get...some pressure on the QB.

escobar

Hall of Famer

« #21 : November 28, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »

Escobar, I believe that moving Barber to S wound help him get to 30-30 quicker. Barber is great at reading the QB and recting which would give him the benifit when playing the recievers as a S and we already know he is a good blitzer which Phillips does more then Barber. I think that Barbers final destination in this D is S and I would love to see it happen next year if we bring in Clements and keep Kelly. Then when Kelly's deal is done hopefully Zemitis would be ready to step in.

As for the Dline, I think that We might be better off keeping Rice and letting him and White play DE while having an early pick rookie being the situational rusher with Jenkins. DT can also be taken early in the draft, I like Thomas UF, and let him be a situational player with Whyms and Hovan. The LB squad could be set by switching Brooks side and allowing Winborn to play or bringing in Briggs/June. Then at S we could have Barber/Allen and a pick to rotate. I believe that would se our D up for a nice rebound. This d isn't that many players away from a return to glory, they just need to get their players healthy.

My point was that he wants to be the first CORNER to reach 30/30. If they move him to safety that obviously can't happen.

watson

Hall of Famer
« #22 : November 28, 2006, 07:14:42 PM »

DE is not like QB, you can acclimate much faster and can gain alot more from practice reps than a QB, so it's not as essential to max out game snaps for a rookie DE, IMO...you don't get a ton of different looks, moves, etc that you don't see in practice. and if we make another marcus jonesregan upshaw pick, we'll regret not keeping a veteran like rice in the fold when we could still afford to.

See my post above this one. Reconfigure the defensive backfield after signing Nate Clements. At LB keep Quarles and move him to SLB, make Ruud the opening day starter at MLB, keep Brooks around for veteran leadership and allow him to retire a Buc and play Winborn a lot. After letting Rice and Spires go, sign Justin Smith and start White at the DE's, Hovan will be back, then consider a guy like Sands or better yet, Redding at DT.

DL: Smith, Redding, Hovan, White
LB: Brooks/Winborn, Ruud, Quarles
CB: Kelly, Clements
S: Barber, Allen

Anybody here like that?

DTG,
I like the looks of it.  Would love to see them add Gaines Adams and Tank Tyler in the draft.  

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #23 : November 28, 2006, 08:30:59 PM »

I don't think there have been any S or CB to reach 30-30.  I am not sure but I always thought they were considered in the same catagory.  I am probably wrong though.

Bucnation619

Second String

« #24 : November 28, 2006, 08:39:09 PM »

Geez Rice is tough player!! But... ;D.He doesn't not well this season!! but last years hell good..i think we should keep him next years and re-sign11 it well..if not ...it tough for bucs D-face. Well..see it lolx so yea [banghead]

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #25 : November 28, 2006, 08:42:03 PM »

I don't think there have been any S or CB to reach 30-30. I am not sure but I always thought they were considered in the same catagory. I am probably wrong though.

Rodney Harrison is pretty close with 28.5 sacks and 32 INTs

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #26 : November 28, 2006, 08:53:12 PM »

Geez Rice is tough player!! But... ;D.He doesn't not well this season!! but last years hell good..i think we should keep him next years and re-sign11 it well..if not ...it tough for bucs D-face. Well..see it lolx so yea [banghead]

this is a joke right, every post this guy makes is virtually unreadable...

is this another poster trying to make a point of some kind?

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #27 : November 28, 2006, 08:54:48 PM »

ok, well, after checking, he is 17 years old...

someone needs to sue their school district...

coqui4

Rookie
« #28 : November 28, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »

LOL! man was that confusing trying to read bucnation's post

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

« #29 : November 28, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »

i think if the bucs don't get the trade they want, they'd be better off keeping rice and eating his contract this year....with $25+ mil in cap room, we have the luxury of keeping him around even if it's just as a situational player...if he's healthy, he'll make his plays, and we can groom younger DEs as part of a platoon next year instead of putting the pressure on them to have a 10-sack rookie year...and sim has always been known as a mentor for young DEs

people don't give rice enough credit - when he was on last year we were a #1 defense....non-factor this year, and teams march downfield on us....just like sapp, we'll find that replacing the impact of a player like that at an important position, even in decline, is not as easy as it sounds....

still, i never count out bruce allen when it comes to trades...nobody thought we could trade keyshawn or keenan because everybody knew we'd eventually cut them, and he still made it happen
Agree but all depends on his health. Would doubt anything gets done before this years draft as any team will want to see how his rehab has gone. would look for something to happen next summer possibly after a preseason game.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Latest on Rice... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools