Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bryant Johnson a buc in 2007 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« : November 28, 2006, 12:12:16 PM »

This guy should be a target for the Bucs this offseason. His contract is up, signed in July of 2003 to a 4 year deal. He was a first round pick out of Penn State and has been pushed down to the 3rd WR role with the emergence of Boldin and Fitzgerald. I doubt they bring him back or that he would want to go back. IMHO he has some serious upside, good size, speed, hands and would be much more potent than Clayton (not saying much). If you are interested in a some offensive help via FA I think this guy should def be on the radar. Keep this guy in mind...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396163

What do you guys think? We have the cap room to spend and if we need a difference maker and Johnson has some nice attributes and I think would fit in well here. Just a thought.

Baghead #2

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 28, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »

I would hope the FO focuses on a premier DE in FA....the only one being Freeney. Grab him if they can for whatever the cost. It all starts and ends on the defensive line this off-season and draft.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 28, 2006, 12:19:28 PM »

KOB I agree with you, we def need DL help over anything else. It would be ncie though I think if we could get this kid though, even though not a priority it could be a good move IMHO. I have seen this guy play and he has a nice game, just needs to get on the field more, plus he has something to prove after being pushed down on the depth chart by Boldin and Fitzgerald (rightfully so).

Baghead #2

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #3 : November 28, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »

He is ok but I don't think he is really all that great (as a Penn State fan).

He isn't bad, but he isn't great either.

BucsAddict

Starter

« #4 : November 28, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »

sure if he's cheap.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 28, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »

Yeah I don't want him to be made out as the savior but I def think that he would provide some spark to our passing game and seeing as our passing game is next to nothing if we could get him, this could be a nice pickup. He has some great size and his numbers this year are solid for being the 3rd WR (Granted Fitz was hurt for an extended period). If we could get him interested and get him to a legit deal I think we should make a move on it.

Baghead #2

« #6 : November 28, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »

What do you guys think? We have the cap room to spend and if we need a difference maker and Johnson has some nice attributes and I think would fit in well here. Just a thought.

AND he would be pretty cheap.  He's an attractive target, for sure.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #7 : November 28, 2006, 02:59:31 PM »

He's got the talent, that's for sure. When Fitz went down he stepped in nicely. I like the idea..

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 28, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »

AND he would be pretty cheap. He's an attractive target, for sure.

What makes you think he'll be cheap?  Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be a good addition for the right price, especially if it means we don't use our 1st rounder on a WR.

« #9 : November 28, 2006, 03:03:29 PM »

What makes you think he'll be cheap?  Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be a good addition for the right price, especially if it means we don't use our 1st rounder on a WR.

I hear you.  The bidding often gets a bit out of whack.  Anyway...agreed.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #10 : November 28, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »

I don't know how cheap, he was a R1 selection and they tend to hold onto that as their value. I don't think that people will get into a bidding war for Johnson. He is young and does have talent, it would be nice to make a solid offer, I think he could absolutely help us out and help us out for years to come.

Baghead #2

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

« #11 : November 28, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »

Still not sold on Freeney: he tackles less than Rice, and Bucs fans moan about him being one dimensional and not showing up in games.  Combined with the price he's going to fetch in FA, I'd rather spend that money elsewhere...or if I'm going to pay that type of money, get a DE that plays both run and pass extremely well.

If we just want an outside pass rusher, we should just draft a 3-4LB tweener who's fast in a later round (like Mark Anderson), line him up on passing downs, and tell him to go after the QB.  He'll be undersized but fast enough to beat the OT off the line.

If we want to spend big money on a DE or DT, or a high draft pick, let's get a guy who's multidimensional (and I don't mean in the Julian Jenkins "I can play two positions good but neither well" way)...those are the guys who need big bucks.  Not guys who are great at 1 thing at the expense of being well rounded (guys like that are in the NFL draft every year at every position).

And I would love Bryant here.  Would be a great target at the right price, but if the WR FA pool is shallow....

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #12 : November 28, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »

I would hope the FO focuses on a premier DE in FA....the only one being Freeney. Grab him if they can for whatever the cost. It all starts and ends on the defensive line this off-season and draft.

don't think it's eitheror, the FO can run down many paths at once....i don't see alot of money spent on any one offensive player this offseason, though, with the most probably going to a veteran QB....any skill position guys who are brought in will be brought in at a relative bargain, and i wouldn't be against johnson being part of that mix.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
« #13 : November 28, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »

What about Drew Bennett? Any interest in him?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future.” - Josh Freeman

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #14 : November 28, 2006, 05:14:37 PM »

Bennett would be tough as well, I don't know what his contract situation is or his age but he is tough as nails. I don't know if the Titans would part ways with him though, he is a crowd favorite and young developing could use him. He is their #1 WR.

Baghead #2
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bryant Johnson a buc in 2007 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools