Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms focusing on a comeback « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: February 16, 2008, 10:53:19 PM

Simms focusing on a comeback
By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
Published February 17, 2008

TAMPA - Chris Simms is planning another comeback. Time will tell if it will be with the Buccaneers.

"Whether it's the right place for me or not, I don't know," Simms said. "You know me, I don't try to think or force too much. I kind of just let things take their course, and we'll see how we go."

Simms, 27, said late last week that he hadn't heard from coach Jon Gruden or general manager Bruce Allen in nearly a month. Nothing unusual about that. He's under contract for 2008 and will begin offseason workouts with the team in late March.

"Three months ago, I was questioning whether or not I was going to make it back," said Simms, who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in about 16 months. "I believe in myself to all degrees, but it's human to have a little doubt at times, and I did, that is for sure. ... "

By now, you're familiar with his story. On Friday, he stood before several hundred people at the Hyatt Regency - most of them students - and recounted how a ruptured spleen threatened his life and career.

Simms was the undercard on a motivational speaking program for the Florida Adlerian Society and introduced Rudy Ruettiger, whose life inspired the movieRudy and made him a Notre Dame football icon.

Simms has his own Rudy-esque story of pain and perseverance, of how injury twice denied him a chance to remain the Bucs' starting quarterback. A shoulder injury derailed him in '04. Doctors say he came within 35-45 minutes of bleeding to death when he ruptured his spleen in a 2006 game.

When he reported to training camp last summer, he quickly discovered something was still wrong.

"I went through practice, and then Coach brought me on another field to do some drills," Simms said. "He was making me move around in the pocket, and he was clapping his hands to throw it. I don't even know if he noticed, but when he would clap his hands, it took me a split second to get my body to do it.

"That was the first time I had done something reaction-wise in a while as opposed to just warming up and throwing to a guy. I thought to myself, 'That didn't feel right.' It shouldn't take me that long to gather my body and throw the ball..........................

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/17/Bucs/Simms_focusing_on_a_c.shtml

Sorry Chris, it's not the injury making you throw the pill slow, it's your throwing motion itself. This is the main reason he's a horrid fit for the offense. I hope the FO lets Simms show he's back healthy in preseason then trade his arse.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 16, 2008, 10:56:13 PM

I suppose Simms is over that reported medical condition that only Dr. Stroud could pronounce...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 16, 2008, 11:03:39 PM

Stroud got a lot of crap for that, but he was the only one that was reporting that something was in fact wrong.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 16, 2008, 11:06:38 PM

Why is the local media so fascinated with Chris Simms? He sucked. Frankly I'd rather read more about how Ryan Sims is doing.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 16, 2008, 11:07:07 PM

Stroud got a lot of crap for that, but he was the only one that was reporting that something was in fact wrong.

yeah, it's called coming back from a massive injury. Dude has an enormous scar on his stomach and it made him compensate when throwing, that's all it was.

Stroud f'd up from my perspective.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 16, 2008, 11:08:44 PM

yeah, it's called coming back from a massive injury. Dude has an enormous scar on his stomach and it made him compensate when throwing, that's all it was.

Stroud f'd up from my perspective.

And yet Simms, Gruden, PR and everyone else was reporting that everything was hunky dory and in no way was Simms still having trouble due to the injury.  They repeated it over and over until Simms mysteriously ended up on IR.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 16, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

And yet Simms, Gruden, PR and everyone else was reporting that everything was hunky dory and in no way was Simms still having trouble due to the injury. They repeated it over and over until Simms mysteriously ended up on IR.

They said other than the fact the he's coming back from a major injury he's fine. It's impossible for players to hop right back into it and there's no track record for this injury. For all we know it could be a 2-year recovery and once the FO saw he was still shat they threw him on IR.

If you remember the Bucs were in desperate need for an additional roster spot at that time. Simms is slow to recovery so they IR him.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 16, 2008, 11:16:45 PM

Making stuff up, fabricating - or lieing - that was the term when I was a kid - will tear your butt up when you are caught at it.  And Dr. Stroud's bucc got torn up.  

And it remains one of the two best mysteries 0f last season - how Simms got on IR and the better one - why Dan Buenning did not get a chance to -play.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 16, 2008, 11:20:18 PM

And yet Simms, Gruden, PR and everyone else was reporting that everything was hunky dory and in no way was Simms still having trouble due to the injury. They repeated it over and over until Simms mysteriously ended up on IR.

They said other than the fact the he's coming back from a major injury he's fine. It's impossible for players to hop right back into it and there's no track record for this injury. For all we know it could be a 2-year recovery and once the FO saw he was still shat they threw him on IR.

If you remember the Bucs were in desperate need for an additional roster spot at that time. Simms is slow to recovery so they IR him.

PR said many, many times that Simms wasn't even eligible for IR

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 16, 2008, 11:22:04 PM

Making stuff up, fabricating - or lieing - that was the term when I was a kid - will tear your butt up when you are caught at it.  And Dr. Stroud's bucc got torn up. 

And it remains one of the two best mysteries 0f last season - how Simms got on IR and the better one - why Dan Buenning did not get a chance to -play.

I never saw it that way.  Clearly something was wrong with Simms, and clearly his body wasn't responding the way a) it was supposed to and b) the way the Bucs and Simms were claiming it was.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 17, 2008, 12:14:19 AM

PR said many, many times that Simms wasn't even eligible for IR
So did Allen and Gruden. And he probably wasn't technically. There's not really a lot of info to draw upon on coming back from a spleenectomy.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#11 : February 17, 2008, 09:33:00 AM

Simms would be better off trying to make his comeback somewhere else. I think he might be the most hated player by Buc "fans".

MBF

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 17, 2008, 09:47:16 AM

I think he might be the most hated player by Buc "fans".
The irony of you questioning how big a fan others are is quite rich indeed.

#13 : February 17, 2008, 10:29:08 AM

I see us letting him go elsewhere.........he will flourish and we will feel foolish.   again

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 17, 2008, 10:29:57 AM

I wish him all the luck in the world.  Either on this team, or another.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms focusing on a comeback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools