Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6660 : October 30, 2008, 10:37:31 AM

I'm just curious as to what he (Balfour) could have done differently than he did last night.

Not give up a double off of the wall?

He shouldn't have been on the hill, period.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6661 : October 30, 2008, 10:37:41 AM

Ive decided who im blaming for this lost for game 5.

*Im not blaming the coaching even though it was bad.
*Im not blaming  the weather even though it was bad.
*Umps were aweful but not blaming them either

Im blaming Obama for pushing the game back 30 minutes. Damn him.

Didn't all the games start at or around 8:30?  

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6662 : October 30, 2008, 10:40:32 AM

I'm just curious as to what he (Balfour) could have done differently than he did last night.

Not give up a double off of the wall?

He shouldn't have been on the hill, period.

lol, he needs another pitch.  That double would have came regardless of when he came in. 

I know you love the guy.  What's not to love?  Throws gas, animated, seems like a genuine guy, but he needs another pitch or any time he's on the mound that can happen regardless of the "situation"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6663 : October 30, 2008, 10:52:05 AM

I love the guy, but I was the guy who said he didn't need to be out there?  I think you are seriously over estimating my bias towards the guy.  I wanted him to be the full-time closer when it was clear Percival couldn't get it done.  That's the extent of my "love" for him.  He performs well in certain situations, others no so much.

And I'm pretty sure I have said over and over and over he needs another pitch.  That's pretty obvious.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6664 : October 30, 2008, 11:15:17 AM

Not a fan of the 2-3-2 series format, never have been. I like the 2-2-1-1-1 that's used in the NHL and in the NBA up until the Finals. It feels like it's better to not have home field with the 2-3-2. If the home team losses one of the 1st 2 games, their backs are against the wall immediately.

I couldn't agree more.
Well, I guess teams will start looking to lose the all star game then huh?

Looks like Lidge came through for us again!!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6665 : October 30, 2008, 11:20:59 AM

Not a fan of the 2-3-2 series format, never have been. I like the 2-2-1-1-1 that's used in the NHL and in the NBA up until the Finals. It feels like it's better to not have home field with the 2-3-2. If the home team losses one of the 1st 2 games, their backs are against the wall immediately.

I couldn't agree more.
Well, I guess teams will start looking to lose the all star game then huh?

Not really, you'd still have HF advantage, but I don't have a problem with the current format.  Win at home and it doesn't matter.  If you lose one of the first two, then win one on the road and steal the advantage back.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6666 : October 30, 2008, 11:25:51 AM

Well atleast I am excited about the offseason!

Here's too adding a closer and another good bat in RF and maybe DH.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6667 : October 30, 2008, 11:28:29 AM

And I'm pretty sure I have said over and over and over he needs another pitch. That's pretty obvious.

That's the point.  He needs another pitch regardless of the "situation".  It's OK to have a mancrush on a player.  We're all allowed at least one.  No reason to feel ashamed.  For me ... BJ Upton.  My hero.    ;)

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#6668 : October 30, 2008, 11:30:29 AM

And I'm pretty sure I have said over and over and over he needs another pitch. That's pretty obvious.

That's the point.  He needs another pitch regardless of the "situation".  It's OK to have a mancrush on a player.  We're all allowed at least one.  No reason to feel ashamed.  For me ... BJ Upton.  My hero.    ;)

QFT.

Lets make sure and give BJ a long contract please.

I have a feeling he is going to erupt next year.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#6669 : October 30, 2008, 11:58:10 AM

Congrats on a good season, don't sweat it about not winning the Series, this is only the beginning for the Rays.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6670 : October 30, 2008, 12:08:43 PM

Never had a man-crush on Balfour, I just thought he was the best replacement for the closer.

My man-crush is firmly on Longoria.  That guy is a stud.  I won't fight you for BJ....I probably would have last year.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#6671 : October 30, 2008, 12:48:13 PM

IMO the single most important item that needs to be addressed this winter is the stadium, the finances that ill make the Rays a permanent fixture here and able to compete with the big market teams who gladly steal players from the smaller market teams.
It's the reason why NFL is so much better. EVERY team starts on equal ground and has a valid chance to compete long term and each and every year.
BJ Upton has turned the Rays down flat every time a contract has been offered because he knows that in a couple more years he can go to the freaking yankees or red sox for 15-20 million per.
That absolutely SUCKS.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#6672 : October 30, 2008, 01:03:20 PM

BJ, if its all about the $$$, don't let the door hit you in the ---

You must be accountable for your actions!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6673 : October 30, 2008, 01:52:55 PM

IMO the single most important item that needs to be addressed this winter is the stadium, the finances that ill make the Rays a permanent fixture here and able to compete with the big market teams who gladly steal players from the smaller market teams.
It's the reason why NFL is so much better. EVERY team starts on equal ground and has a valid chance to compete long term and each and every year.
BJ Upton has turned the Rays down flat every time a contract has been offered because he knows that in a couple more years he can go to the freaking yankees or red sox for 15-20 million per.
That absolutely SUCKS.

New stadium won't put the Rays on equal ground with the Yankees or Red Sox, only a salary cap/floor will do that.  Without a salary cap, smaller market teams will never be able to compete salary wise with the big money teams.  Just not practical.  The Rays have once again proven just like the Twins and A's before them that you don't have to spend money at ridiculous prices to put a winner on the field.  And it's probably not the best time to ask average people to build a stadium for filthy rich professional sports franchise owners.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/ballpark/2008/05/sternberg-stadi.html

Garv

Hall of Famer
#6674 : October 30, 2008, 02:07:57 PM

That absolutely SUCKS.

New stadium won't put the Rays on equal ground with the Yankees or Red Sox, only a salary cap/floor will do that. Without a salary cap, smaller market teams will never be able to compete salary wise with the big money teams. Just not practical. The Rays have once again proven just like the Twins and A's before them that you don't have to spend money at ridiculous prices to put a winner on the field. And it's probably not the best time to ask average people to build a stadium for filthy rich professional sports franchise owners.

No doubt on all counts. But a new stadium would put us on closer ground to the yankees and red sox. Without it, there is simply not enough money to compete for long. NOT typing it's cool to let these sports franchises hold cities hostage in these or any other times.
Fortunately this team will be together for another couple of years though.
A longer term solution would be welcomed by this poster, all I'm typing. MLB is a mess financially and it's mostly because of the power of the player's union that refuses any CAP and floor.
When you have a single player making guaranteed more than a spring training town can afford to keep it's team, something is very, very wrong. One player making more than another's entire payroll? Sickening.
How do you explain that to today's fan trying to get by? You don't, you can't, you sweep it under the rug until it blows up.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!
Page: 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools