Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Targets for 2007 (DL) « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: November 28, 2006, 03:44:09 PM

The Bucs have a lot of needs, but let's face it: there will be lots of competitors with money to spend, so they won't simply have their pick of the lot. Instead, the Bucs aren't interested in overpaying and getting into a bidding war over players and finding themselves cap-strapped again, so they're already doing their homework and know that they may be shopping for names that aren't quite as big as a Briggs or a Freeney. Not quite as big in name, but guys who still fit the scheme well and can provide good bang for the Buc.

Based on that premise, let's talk about a few UFA DL's who the Bucs may be considering. I'm not necessarily advocating these guys, just throwing out for discussion some interesting prospects who could be signed for reasonable money and become solid contributors:

DE:

Justin Smith, CIN
A consistent performer, Smith has averaged 60 tackles/assists and 7 sacks a year over his six seasons. Could be a potential matching end if the Bucs want to give D. White the starting nod at the opposite end next season.

Cory Redding, DET
This guy is an interesting prospect. He's currently on pace for his best season yet in tackles/assists and sacks. Another guy who, given the right opportunity, could move up to the next level. While not spectacular, he could be a very solid player to bookend with White, if they so choose.

Bryan Thomas, NYJ
You could almost copy and paste Justin's Smith's info from above.

DT:

Terdell Sands, OAK
Could he play UT for the Bucs? This guy is very intriguing indeed. He's big, really big, at 6'7" and 335. He's a guy that's looking for more P.T. and may need to go outside of Oakland to find it. I'm not sure if he's ready to break out or not, but he certainly has the potential, I believe.

IanD15

Rookie

#1 : November 28, 2006, 03:59:57 PM

Nate Clements baby.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 28, 2006, 04:01:50 PM

I like the list Dan.  How about one outstanding guy we have to take a chance at in the bidding war to get...which guy would that be?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 28, 2006, 04:13:16 PM

Smith is a heck of a player but has too many off-field issues.  I don't think Bryan Thomas could be "the guy" opposite White.  Maybe Redding, if he really has progressed.  I don't think Sands is athletic enough for our Defense.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 28, 2006, 04:17:25 PM

I like the list Dan.  How about one outstanding guy we have to take a chance at in the bidding war to get...which guy would that be?

Based on the fact that this is a defensive scheme that relies on pressure up front, I'd really like to say that the Bucs needs to go all-out for a top-flight DE or UT. However, the sort of guy I'm really interested in doesn't seem to be out there. So without thinking about it too much, I'd have to say Nate Clements. He's going to be 27, he's got a couple of Pro Bowls under his belt, he's a proven NFL talent, and he fits the scheme perfectly. On top of that, he's still very effective despite the changing rules that have hurt some CB's (like Brian Kelly).

If I'm looking to overpay, that's the one guy I'd overpay for.

A distant second might be Leonard Davis, if the Bucs aren't in a bidding war for Clements.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 28, 2006, 04:24:24 PM

Smith is a heck of a player but has too many off-field issues.  I don't think Bryan Thomas could be "the guy" opposite White.  Maybe Redding, if he really has progressed.  I don't think Sands is athletic enough for our Defense.

Good points, though I only recall Smith being arrested for a DUI. Did he have any other issues I don't recall? Also, Sands seems a little more athletic to me than I think he gets credit for.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 28, 2006, 04:35:31 PM

I wonder how much the teams try and lock these guys up and/or slap them with the tag. Does anyone know what the tag availability is for the teams listed above?

Tagging guys who aren't clearly among the elite at their positions is difficult due to the salary requirements. The Bills do have the ability to tag Clements, I do believe, but they may not do so if he firmly wants out.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 28, 2006, 04:45:30 PM

Smith is a heck of a player but has too many off-field issues. I don't think Bryan Thomas could be "the guy" opposite White. Maybe Redding, if he really has progressed. I don't think Sands is athletic enough for our Defense.

Good points, though I only recall Smith being arrested for a DUI. Did he have any other issues I don't recall? Also, Sands seems a little more athletic to me than I think he gets credit for.

You might be right on Smith; I thought I remembered more dirt...  I'll see what I can dig up.  He's had solid production, though.

#8 : November 28, 2006, 05:03:01 PM

good list man, Sands is a sleeper IMO....for a guy his size he's not exactly 'fat'

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 28, 2006, 05:04:27 PM

Whats frustrating about Free Agency this year is the lack of top notch WR's. The only stud WR in FA this year is Drew Bennett, and Bryant Johnson could be somewhere other than Arizona.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

#10 : November 28, 2006, 05:05:40 PM

correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but doesn't Redding possess the ability to play DT or DE?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 28, 2006, 05:15:38 PM

correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but doesn't Redding possess the ability to play DT or DE?

Yes, Redding can play inside as well.  Probably not every down, but rotate in on 3rd downs like DW has done.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 28, 2006, 05:16:32 PM

Redding played DT on turkey day.

Baghead #2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 28, 2006, 05:31:07 PM

good list man, Sands is a sleeper IMO....for a guy his size he's not exactly 'fat'

I'd rather see us try to swing a deal for Dewayne Robertson

#14 : November 28, 2006, 05:57:52 PM

Redding played DT on turkey day.
That's what I thought, just wasn't positive.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Targets for 2007 (DL) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools