Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Big Dog: Gruden is trying to screw the Bucs! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#90 : November 30, 2006, 09:08:40 AM

If you do a lot of things well then suffice it to say it's the coaches responsibility to make sure those talents get magnified to the teams advantage, wouldn't you say? Well if you don't get the carries you can't run over people.  Oh, BTW, when was it a bad thing to run over defenders?  Since when does Mike need holes?  He's the one that creates them by running over people.  All he needs is a good surge at the point of attack, now that for sure has been missing...

No way do I advocate Mike being the feature back, even though I think he could have been when JG initially got here.  But 7+ carries a game is not a lot of carries to take away from Caddy, to enhance the anemic running game we have today...

As you stated Alstott needs the offensive line to create a surge, or at least not be pushed back. When that happens, I am all for Alstott getting 7+ carriers. When the line is getting pushed back, as it has in all but a hand full of game this year, then it is much wiser to give those carries to a back who can make a move in the hole. The line has played well the last two games, especially considering the type of run defense they were facing against Dallas. Hopefully we can continue to see that happen, and can continue to see Alstott get the ball, but to crucify Gruden for not giving the ball to a pure power back who has very little shake when the offensive line is getting blown off the ball is, well, assinine in my opinion.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#91 : November 30, 2006, 09:09:30 AM

Yeah we will disagree on this one as I watch every game, at least twice...

You need to use a HD vidcap card on one of your PC's so you can download all of the video and chop it up, breaking it down play by play. That way you can analyze each play a lot more than twice. If you want a recommendation on a good HD vidcap card, let me know.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#92 : November 30, 2006, 09:17:52 AM

I've never crucified JG nor advocated for Mike to get anymore than he's gotten.  I'm asking the question...if Caddy has had trouble running the ball why not give Mike a few more carries?  In the grand scheme of things what is it going to hurt?  How is it a bad thing?  That's my question.  You put the guy in as a change of pace.  I just can't see how it's wrong or bad or hurts the outcome or anyone else's carries or incentives.  Especially when none of them are getting much positive yards.  

A hard 2-3 yard run by Mike does more than get you those 2 to 3 yards.  It energizes the team and the fans.  Brings people to their feet and gets EVERYONE at the Ray Jay into the game.  Was I the only one to notice that little tid bit?  I think not even Caddy was inspired.  I hope we are not thinking that Mike is the end all to be all as he's not.  But his special set of skills, used at the right time, bring you momentum which is sorely missed on our sideline...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#93 : November 30, 2006, 09:19:36 AM

I dissagree that Pittman is a better blocker than Mike. That may have been true before JG got here, but it's been an emphisis since he's been here. Mike has come leaps and bounds as a blocker evidence by his performance in and since the SB.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree, because from where I sit you're absolutely, positively wrong. I think you need to go back and watch the tape again. Emphasis or not, at times this season, Mike (as much as I like him), has flat out sucked as a lead blocker. Mike has never been an outstanding blocker, it's just not an outstanding component of his game.

Yeah we will disagree on this one as I watch every game, at least twice...

Mike's blocking has become putrid this year. Last year he was great but for some reason it's fallen off this year.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#94 : November 30, 2006, 09:26:13 AM

I've never crucified JG nor advocated for Mike to get anymore than he's gotten.  I'm asking the question...if Caddy has had trouble running the ball why not give Mike a few more carries?  In the grand scheme of things what is it going to hurt?  How is it a bad thing?  That's my question.  You put the guy in as a change of pace.  I just can't see how it's wrong or bad or hurts the outcome or anyone else's carries or incentives.  Especially when none of them are getting much positive yards. 

A hard 2-3 yard run by Mike does more than get you those 2 to 3 yards.  It energizes the team and the fans.  Brings people to their feet and gets EVERYONE at the Ray Jay into the game.  Was I the only one to notice that little tid bit?  I think not even Caddy was inspired.  I hope we are not thinking that Mike is the end all to be all as he's not.  But his special set of skills, used at the right time, bring you momentum which is sorely missed on our sideline...

Meh, I give up. Enjoy.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#95 : November 30, 2006, 09:27:15 AM

I've never crucified JG nor advocated for Mike to get anymore than he's gotten.  I'm asking the question...if Caddy has had trouble running the ball why not give Mike a few more carries?  In the grand scheme of things what is it going to hurt?  How is it a bad thing?  That's my question.  You put the guy in as a change of pace.  I just can't see how it's wrong or bad or hurts the outcome or anyone else's carries or incentives.  Especially when none of them are getting much positive yards.  

A hard 2-3 yard run by Mike does more than get you those 2 to 3 yards.  It energizes the team and the fans.  Brings people to their feet and gets EVERYONE at the Ray Jay into the game.  Was I the only one to notice that little tid bit?  I think not even Caddy was inspired.  I hope we are not thinking that Mike is the end all to be all as he's not.  But his special set of skills, used at the right time, bring you momentum which is sorely missed on our sideline...

I didn't mean to accuse you of crucifying Gruden. I meant that toward a few other posters, and more towards the media. I completely agree with you, Alstott can be a big contributor towards this team and I believe could even be a Jerome Bettis like contributor next year if this team can improve a lot around him. He isn't a player though that is going to make the team better all by himself though, and Cadillac does have the potential to be that type of player. Cadillac carried this team last year and showed the ability to bring even more of that momentum. He needs to be the one to continue to carry this offense.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#96 : November 30, 2006, 11:04:52 AM

I've never crucified JG nor advocated for Mike to get anymore than he's gotten. I'm asking the question...if Caddy has had trouble running the ball why not give Mike a few more carries? In the grand scheme of things what is it going to hurt? How is it a bad thing? That's my question. You put the guy in as a change of pace. I just can't see how it's wrong or bad or hurts the outcome or anyone else's carries or incentives. Especially when none of them are getting much positive yards.

A hard 2-3 yard run by Mike does more than get you those 2 to 3 yards. It energizes the team and the fans. Brings people to their feet and gets EVERYONE at the Ray Jay into the game. Was I the only one to notice that little tid bit? I think not even Caddy was inspired. I hope we are not thinking that Mike is the end all to be all as he's not. But his special set of skills, used at the right time, bring you momentum which is sorely missed on our sideline...

Meh, I give up. Enjoy.

LOL, no problem bro.  You see it one way I see it another.  That's what makes this place great.  It's not all Mikes fault that this running game is not working.  Unless he just whiffs a block, which I've seen him and some of the better FB's do, I'm sure Mahan has been sitting in his lap when running to the left.  Or True and Davin doing the same.  I'm not taking up for Mike here.  Nor am I crotch nuzzling as some would say.  When he's on he's unstoppable.  When he's not it's ugly.  But isn't that with any player in this league?  I think most are on this movement thing too strong.  I still think the guy has game and used properly he could give you the spark you want and need in a tough game, in the cold, on the road...hint, hint...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#97 : November 30, 2006, 11:10:48 AM

I've never crucified JG nor advocated for Mike to get anymore than he's gotten. I'm asking the question...if Caddy has had trouble running the ball why not give Mike a few more carries? In the grand scheme of things what is it going to hurt? How is it a bad thing? That's my question. You put the guy in as a change of pace. I just can't see how it's wrong or bad or hurts the outcome or anyone else's carries or incentives. Especially when none of them are getting much positive yards.

A hard 2-3 yard run by Mike does more than get you those 2 to 3 yards. It energizes the team and the fans. Brings people to their feet and gets EVERYONE at the Ray Jay into the game. Was I the only one to notice that little tid bit? I think not even Caddy was inspired. I hope we are not thinking that Mike is the end all to be all as he's not. But his special set of skills, used at the right time, bring you momentum which is sorely missed on our sideline...

Meh, I give up. Enjoy.

LOL, no problem bro.  You see it one way I see it another.  That's what makes this place great.  It's not all Mikes fault that this running game is not working.  Unless he just whiffs a block, which I've seen him and some of the better FB's do, I'm sure Mahan has been sitting in his lap when running to the left.  Or True and Davin doing the same.  I'm not taking up for Mike here.  Nor am I crotch nuzzling as some would say.  When he's on he's unstoppable.  When he's not it's ugly.  But isn't that with any player in this league?  I think most are on this movement thing too strong.  I still think the guy has game and used properly he could give you the spark you want and need in a tough game, in the cold, on the road...hint, hint...

I think Mike could be used more effectively as well but his blocking has been terrible this year, that's why you're seeing Sowell and the rocket package more and more, IMO.

What I find funny is Mike's role hasn't changes since Gruden got here. It's not like all of the sudden Gruden's decided to punk him. Mike hasn't been the same since the neck injury and Gruden knows it.

#98 : November 30, 2006, 11:16:29 AM

I think Mike could be used more effectively as well but his blocking has been terrible this year, that's why you're seeing Sowell and the rocket package more and more, IMO.

What I find funny is Mike's role hasn't changes since Gruden got here. It's not like all of the sudden Gruden's decided to punk him. Mike hasn't been the same since the neck injury and Gruden knows it.

I did like the way he was used in the Wash game, but the fact stands that he's not a 3rd & 1 guy any more.  He's not a short yardage back.  He doesn't get it done in those situations.  You saw that even in the Wash game.  I love Mike and I think he's got incredible skills.  I like screens to him.  I like running him when it is unexpected.  But he's not Jerome Bettis anymore.  He's not Brandon Jacobs.  Granted, some of that goes on the O-line, but you have these backs for a reason.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#99 : November 30, 2006, 02:12:38 PM

Do you forget how to block in one season?  How do you go from greatly improved to sucking?  I don't get that....

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#100 : November 30, 2006, 02:29:03 PM

Do you forget how to block in one season?  How do you go from greatly improved to sucking?  I don't get that....

I'd love to know because what I've seen this year isn't close to last year. I record all the games on my DVR and watch each play, offensive/defensive, just to see what in the world is going on. I've noticed Mike just isn't getting it done, he's not clearing a gap like last year and get's swallowed most times.

But hey, I'm not a coach or ex-player other than high school so take it for what it's worth. I've seen enough football to know what's good and what isn't though.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#101 : December 01, 2006, 12:34:18 AM

Really??? I never heard about this!! How about you guys?
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Big Dog: Gruden is trying to screw the Bucs! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools