Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do Some Religious People Really Have A Neurological Disorder? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11

spartan

Hall of Famer
« : February 22, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »

If you have wet sheets, (from water) special meditation can dry them. Check this out:

Or as we used to call it in the old days; letting it drip dry.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 22, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »

How exactly do you investigate the existence of God?  ....... and why just God? What about Allah, Buddha, etc?

And I'm not sure what constitutes "much thought" but this is something I've thought about for a helluva long time.

In order to investigate the existence of a god one needs an unambiguous description of the nature and characteristics of the god to be investigated.
Without knowing exactly what this god is, one cannot make a coherent or sensible claim that it in fact exists. In order to substantiate such claims, they must be testable in some manner. The claimant must provide evidence which would lead a reasonable person to accept their god�s existence; otherwise their claims will be relegated to superstitious belief.

Would my God popping along and striking Joe down with fire and lightening for being a heretic and unbeliever be proof enough?

Only if He put out a press release first ....

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 22, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »

Meditation, looking inward, could be beneficial if it helps to clear your thoughts; however, I fail to see the benefits of prayer, at least for an atheist.

Yeah, not the traditional prayer we all hear about. More like quiet contemplation and waiting for some
"answers," to come. I guess it's just meditation.

Mushrooms work too. From what I have heard.

If you have wet sheets, (from water) special meditation can dry them. Check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kLMRYm0xLiw

It's 3 minutes long. I've seen video of this same thing done in close to freezing weather.
Shouldn't our scientists and doctors be examining these monks in depth?

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #3 : February 22, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »

How exactly do you investigate the existence of God?  ....... and why just God? What about Allah, Buddha, etc?

And I'm not sure what constitutes "much thought" but this is something I've thought about for a helluva long time.

In order to investigate the existence of a god one needs an unambiguous description of the nature and characteristics of the god to be investigated.
Without knowing exactly what this god is, one cannot make a coherent or sensible claim that it in fact exists. In order to substantiate such claims, they must be testable in some manner. The claimant must provide evidence which would lead a reasonable person to accept their god�s existence; otherwise their claims will be relegated to superstitious belief.

Would my God popping along and striking Joe down with fire and lightening for being a heretic and unbeliever be proof enough?

I would need to see the video.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #4 : February 22, 2008, 05:37:14 PM »

Good to see you in here, Big_Mac...

If somebody were to ask me how they can know God, I would tell them to look within. The Kingdom
is within.

Meditation. Simple yet effective.

And I can't even become disciplined enough to practice what I preach! Maybe if some of you shame
me, I'll feel bad and start doing it again.

Meditation might provide "evidence" for yourself. But not for anybody else. It's a personal thing.
Prayer, (when you're not asking for anything) would work too. IMO.

Meditation, looking inward, could be beneficial if it helps to clear your thoughts; however, I fail to see the benefits of prayer, at least for an atheist.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : February 22, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 22, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »

Good to see you in here, Big_Mac...

If somebody were to ask me how they can know God, I would tell them to look within. The Kingdom
is within.

Meditation. Simple yet effective.

And I can't even become disciplined enough to practice what I preach! Maybe if some of you shame
me, I'll feel bad and start doing it again.

Meditation might provide "evidence" for yourself. But not for anybody else. It's a personal thing.
Prayer, (when you're not asking for anything) would work too. IMO.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #7 : February 22, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »

The double helix shape is commonly seen inside living organisms, but this is the first time it has been observed in the cosmos.

"Nobody has ever seen anything like that before in the cosmic realm," said the study's lead author Mark Morris of UCLA. "Most nebulae are either spiral galaxies full of stars or formless amorphous conglomerations of dust and gas-space weather. What we see indicates a high degree of order."

That would be an interesting hypothesis.

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #8 : February 22, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »

Without knowing exactly what this god is, one cannot make a coherent or sensible claim that it in fact exists. In order to substantiate such claims, they must be testable in some manner. The claimant must provide evidence which would lead a reasonable person to accept their god’s existence; otherwise their claims will be relegated to superstitious belief.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 19, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »

Bill Maher suggested that a few years ago.

Do some religious people lose their ability to think for themselves when they decide
to believe everything they: read in the Bible and hear in their church?

Jesse Ventura had similar things to say on the subject in his Playboy interview a few
years ago.

In certain cases, I think Maher & Ventura were right. There are ignorant people in all
walks of life but I think the people who refusecto think for themselves are more
prevalent in the religious world.

Check out these two video stories:

Obama and his Use of the Koran to be Sworn in as President...

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/02/18/why-we-do-what-we-do

These ladies (and girl) may be sweet and have good intentions but their ignorance
is scary. Depending on how many similar people there are out there, this doesn't
bode well for future elections. You'd think they would have learned their lesson
with GW Bush. Nope.

KS School Bars Female From Officiating Boys Games, Says She Can’t Have Authority Over Males

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/02/18/ks-school-bars-female-from-officiating-boys-games-says-she-cant-have-authority-over-males

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #10 : February 19, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »

You need to get out more.  Do you realize you have nearly 4 pages of threads that you've started?  Maybe no more than 1-2 topics a day, already. [banghead]

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #11 : February 19, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »

You're right. I've been out of work for 1.5 months. Waiting on a job now in New Orleans shooting
Arena football for several months.

REALLY need to get out more!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 19, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

Actually, you're very intelligent - the things one learns on the internet.  Curious, do you listen to Rush Limbaugh? I know you don't fall in the same political thought, but anyway - I take back what I posted above. You add a lot to this board - everyday.  No offense intended.

Very interesting topic on religious belief.

Your thoughts about  health care system reform has also been enlightening -

Once again - keep posting interesting stuff. Apologies again.

« #13 : February 19, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »

Bill Maher suggested that a few years ago.

Do some religious people lose their ability to think for themselves when they decide
to believe everything they: read in the Bible and hear in their church?

On the contrary, It is my belief that non belivers like Bill Maher are so hellbent on being skeptics about all the good in life that they don't allow themself to accept the Lord. They make it a mission in life either through the negative outlook they have on the world, or their own self loathing that they treat religion, like everything else in their world, like "why should I NOT believe"

It must suck being such a negative, hateful person towards everything. you see, here lies the neurological disorder you search for joe

« #14 : February 19, 2008, 01:46:02 PM »

Let's just examine the definition of skeptic...

One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

It would only make sense for Maher to be an atheist, he makes a living out of disagreeing with the norm and using wit, a great sense of humor, and a great amount of intelligence to make people laugh at ideas that are off the beaten path. He doesn't even knowingly do it anymore, he is so submerged in being a skeptic that he subconciously hates everything (be it right or wrong) that is popular

I like him, he makes me laugh, I can enjoy him while disagreeing with a lot of stuff he says
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do Some Religious People Really Have A Neurological Disorder? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools