Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vikings | Team releases D. Smith « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: February 20, 2008, 05:08:08 PM

Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings released FS Dwight Smith Wednesday, Feb. 20.

Smith can double as a nickel back, but will his off the field issues make teams think twice

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#1 : February 20, 2008, 05:11:12 PM

I'd love to have him back, but only for the right price.  Buchanon vs D. Smith for the #2 CB spot, and the loser wins the nickel role.  That doesn't sound so bad to me.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#2 : February 20, 2008, 05:12:32 PM

Dwight Smith always wanted to play CB with the Bucs, which is why he left, and with Brian Kelly gone, maybe he could get his wish now.  The only problem, of course, is his off the field trouble.  Other than that, he is a pretty decent player.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 20, 2008, 05:12:46 PM

bring him back please...hes a good nickle cb

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 20, 2008, 05:19:49 PM

Dwight Smith always wanted to play CB with the Bucs, which is why he left, and with Brian Kelly gone, maybe he could get his wish now.  The only problem, of course, is his off the field trouble.  Other than that, he is a pretty decent player.

A little weed and stairway sex didn't hurt anyone. His fire on Sunday has been missed, bring his stoned arse back.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 20, 2008, 05:25:33 PM

Well DS has been through the Saints and Vikings organizations now without much success, maybe he could come back. At minimum he's a strong Nickle back who knows the defense.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 20, 2008, 05:27:40 PM

I'm sure the Bucs may give him a look.  Allen tried to sign him a few years back when the Saints released him but he went with the longer term deal with the Vikes.  With BK probably moving on Smith could either compete with Buchanon for the starter opposite Ronde, or play the Nickel which he did well in 2002.  He knows the system and has worked with Monte and Morris before in Tampa.  Not saying it will happen, but I'm sure the Bucs will take a look.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 20, 2008, 05:44:58 PM

smith looked pretty good here and under tomlin in minny, but not good enough to offset his off-the-field nonsense otherwise...get him back in the Tampa 2 and he can play or back up any position in the secondary.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 20, 2008, 05:47:29 PM

I absolutely loved Dwight's play on the field.  I was clamoring year after year for them to bring him back.  At this point, though, I'm not sure that he will outgrow the off-field stuff.

RayJayinTBay

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 20, 2008, 05:49:42 PM

Too many issues off the field. I'll take a pass and take someone in the second round to play nickel for us and then start in their second year...

Stretchcaddy

Starter

#10 : February 20, 2008, 06:05:59 PM

Sign him to be our nickel back. Smith will be a instant upgrade over sammy davis or torrie cox.  This is the same player that picked off 2 passes in the superbowl for td's under kiffin and morris.I dont mind drafting a cb as well in the 2nd round or later but i think we should sign smith anyway.If we draft a cb theirs no guarantee he will become the player we need in the future, and even if he is, how long will it take for him to learn the system. Dwight smith doesnt have to learn the system, he already knows it.

Sign him at a decent price and that might give us more flexibilty in the draft

dm4bucs

Starter
#11 : February 20, 2008, 06:13:06 PM

I'd take him for our nickel corner and hope that being back in tampa he can control his off field issues.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 20, 2008, 06:14:17 PM

I'd take him for our nickel corner and hope that being back in tampa he can control his off field issues.

He's had some of those off the field incidents here in Tampa.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 20, 2008, 06:30:16 PM

It will be a wild few months leading up to the draft to see what direction the team feels is more important and what views they have on certain players

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 20, 2008, 07:21:57 PM

id give him a shot again... He would help to increase the teams talent level, and he isnt scared to hit someone in the mouth! Get him, keep davis too, and draft a CB....

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vikings | Team releases D. Smith « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools