Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Building The Foundation of Success « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 22, 2008, 04:03:13 PM

Sometimes you just get lucky.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 22, 2008, 04:40:52 PM

That's for damn sure.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 22, 2008, 04:22:10 PM

Good read but worth noting when comparing Tampa's line to New England:

Patriots
LT - 2nd round
LG - 1st round (pick #32)
C - 5th round
RG: undrafted
RT: 3rd round

Bucs
LT - undrafted
LG - 2nd round
C - free agent
RG: 1st round
RT: 2nd round

Matt Light, playing the most important position on the line, is the second highest drafted lineman on the team. Penn, is the lowest drafted Buccaneer lineman. The problem with the Bucs is most offensive lines make due with one spare part, and they are typically a guard or right tackle. The Bucs have already spent high picks on those positions. It's so rare you can make it work with the scrub at left tackle.

Why is that worth noting - the buccs spent some high picks to get quality - and NE didn't have to - we all knew that FRG - hell if for no other reason than you post it 2-3 times a week.

The buccs are getting it done - the Pats did it their way.  Both units got mauled by the Giants...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 22, 2008, 04:42:42 PM

Why is that worth noting - the buccs spent some high picks to get quality - and NE didn't have to - we all knew that FRG - hell if for no other reason than you post it 2-3 times a week.

lmao.  Good point, dbuc.  ;)

acacius

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 22, 2008, 04:45:22 PM

Bucs
LT - undrafted
LG - 2nd round
C - free agent
RG: 1st round
RT: 2nd round

Matt Light, playing the most important position on the line, is the second highest drafted lineman on the team. Penn, is the lowest drafted Buccaneer lineman. The problem with the Bucs is most offensive lines make due with one spare part, and they are typically a guard or right tackle. The Bucs have already spent high picks on those positions. It's so rare you can make it work with the scrub at left tackle.

In fairness, the team nominally has a first round pick starting at LT.  If he can actually finish a season, for a change.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#20 : February 22, 2008, 04:45:57 PM

It always begins and ends with the trenches when you talk about building a foundation for success. But, just don't forget that the Giants are the perfect example of the other side of the ball, the Defensive line. As good as new Englands line is they got simply manhandled by a stout and energetic DL.

The key to remember is a foundation for any team has to start in the trenches, which includes both the offenseive and defensive lines. We saw progress from our young stars on both sides of the trenches. We can all come to the same conclusion that we need a better leader for our offensive line (ie Center) and a better disruptor for our defensive line (ie Under tackle).

Nice post yuccs

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 22, 2008, 06:19:08 PM

Maybe Brooks isn't a Hall of Famer. I think he is, but I also think Derrick Thomas is, and after 3 years of eligibility he's not in. Perhaps a non-Bucs fan would say Brooks benefits from playing in a system that funnels all the plays to him. Maybe they say he was just a product of having Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice in front of him. Maybe they'd say he's a one dimensional player because he can't take on blockers.

Regarding Seymour, he's 28 years old and has made 5 pro bowls. He plays for a top 2 organization and will be surrounded by other good players for the rest of his career there. He could easily make 3-4 more pro bowls. That would earn him serious Hall consideration.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 22, 2008, 06:24:24 PM

Maybe Brooks isn't a Hall of Famer. I think he is, but I also think Derrick Thomas is, and after 3 years of eligibility he's not in. Perhaps a non-Bucs fan would say Brooks benefits from playing in a system that funnels all the plays to him. Maybe they say he was just a product of having Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice in front of him. Maybe they'd say he's a one dimensional player because he can't take on blockers.

I know you like to think of yourself as a "contrarian," but that's a little much.

Regarding Seymour, he's 28 years old and has made 5 pro bowls. He plays for a top 2 organization and will be surrounded by other good players for the rest of his career there. He could easily make 3-4 more pro bowls. That would earn him serious Hall consideration.

I think Seymore is a very good player.  But I also think he gets so much recognition because, before Samuel came along, he was the best player on their defense...therefore he gets a lot of pro bowl votes.

Raideneers

Starter

#23 : February 22, 2008, 06:27:55 PM

Very good read. Although I do not agree with every point the vast majority is in my opinion dead-on.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 22, 2008, 09:20:12 PM

I know you like to think of yourself as a "contrarian," but that's a little much.
You may think I'm kidding but I didn't make any of that up. I've read it all on other boards. When compared to players like Ray Lewis, a lot of fans don't have the same respect for Brooks. He's going to have a lot of competition with Lewis, Seau, McGinest, Zach Thomas, and others retiring around the same time. Like I said with Derrick Thomas - Defensive Rookie of the Year, 9 Pro Bowls, and I think more sacks in the 1990s than anyone - and he's not in after 3 years. You never know.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 22, 2008, 09:25:50 PM

You can use the same argument you used about Brooks against Ray Lewis.  His defense uses big bodies up front, so he get get through the line to cause havoc.  You can find some argument like that against all of the guys you mentioned.  By the way, I don't know if McGinest or Thomas has done enough to get into the hall.

Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis, and Junior Seau are Hall of Famers and GREAT players.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 22, 2008, 09:59:02 PM

I agree with you about Lewis. He's only been all pro level with 300+ lb wide bodies in front of him. Buuuuuuutttttttttt his hype machine outweighs that of Brooks.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Building The Foundation of Success « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools