Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms signs. NOT! (per AM 1470) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 29, 2006, 11:25:34 AM

The better question is why did the Bucs do this? FRom a variety of people we've heard (although the story changes) that Gruden doesn't like Simms, didn't want him at the draft and whatever. We're likely tossing enough jack at him he's not going to be a backup so does the staff like him more than we've been led to think or do they think he's a really tradeable commodity - but then if they think that why doesn't Simms think he's a more marketable FA?

Why did he spurn a nice offer from the Bucs last year?

Boid - that story was not confirmed, and in fact directly denied by Allen.
You never know.  It got out there somehow.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 29, 2006, 11:25:51 AM

I have had WDAE on the last 30 minutes and they haven't mentioned it yet.

#17 : November 29, 2006, 11:26:03 AM

A two year deal keeps in in Tampa in 2008, and Gruden might be gone by then.

The interesting thing about this is that it does, in fact mean that Gruden does like Simms enough to consider him the best option on the board.  I think this is a case of GruAllen wanting Simms around rather than Simms wanting to be around "in spite" of Gruden.

The reason why I wonder what Deumig will say is because Simms, in fact, wanted to stay enough to forego FA, if these reports are confirmed.  That would mean that, in fact, Simms and Gruden don't have the horrible relationship that has been alluded to by the journos.

Maybe Gruden is, in fact, respected?

Just speculating... ;)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 29, 2006, 11:26:27 AM

You never know.  It got out there somehow.

yes and look where it was published.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 29, 2006, 11:26:53 AM

If the reports of the contract size are anywhere near accurate it is indeed good news.

The real question is: how will Deumig turn this into "Gruden hates players, players hate Gruden, and Gruden is trying to screw the Bucs".  He's probably dreaming some inside info up already.

Yes, THAT is what the REAL question is.

I am sure that EVERYONE who hates the Big Dog with a passion will have their ears glued to the airwaves this afternoon to find out the answer to that.  ::)

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

#20 : November 29, 2006, 11:29:44 AM

I am sure that EVERYONE who hates the Big Dog with a passion will have their ears glued to the airwaves this afternoon to find out the answer to that.  ::)

Okokok, not the real question, but...  I never miss an opportunity to allude to his jackassery.  ;)

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 29, 2006, 11:37:31 AM

Okokok, not the real question, but... I never miss an opportunity to allude to his jackassery. ;)
Free advertising for him ;)

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

#22 : November 29, 2006, 11:40:53 AM

Okokok, not the real question, but... I never miss an opportunity to allude to his jackassery. ;)
Free advertising for him ;)

Agreed.  And I listen fairly regularly, although I can't sit through a whole show.  I guess I enjoy having someone to disagree with.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 29, 2006, 11:41:19 AM

If this is true it makes sense for both parties. Chris will not have got a big money deal IMO this offseason due to his putrid start and injury. Nobody is going to pay big jack for that. He gets some reasonable dough, the opportunity to showcase (if he starts) and possibly go for the big dough in 2 years and the bucs at the least have a backup who knows the system already. Though not enamoured with Chris's 'progress' this season I would not be dissatisfied.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#24 : November 29, 2006, 12:52:29 PM

If the reports of the contract size are anywhere near accurate it is indeed good news.

I have to admit that I am quite surprised that he accepted the offer because he could have made big money elsewhere, considering his youth and the quality of the other FA QBs, and I don't think, knowing Bruce Allen, that he threw a whole BUNCH of money at him.

The real question is: how will Deumig turn this into "Gruden hates players, players hate Gruden, and Gruden is trying to screw the Bucs".  He's probably dreaming some inside info up already.

"Simms signed because he hates Gruden so much that he wants to play and then screw up at the most critical moment, just to cost Gruden his job."

"I have a source close to the Bucs.  An inside source."

Don't forget those same sources have told Duemig and Beckles that Bidwell just couldn't wait to get out of Tampa as well.....er... Bidwell just re-upped as well.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#25 : November 29, 2006, 11:44:54 AM

If this is true it makes sense for both parties. Chris will not have got a big money deal IMO this offseason due to his putrid start and injury. Nobody is going to pay big jack for that. He gets some reasonable dough, the opportunity to showcase (if he starts) and possibly go for the big dough in 2 years and the bucs at the least have a backup who knows the system already. Though not enamoured with Chris's 'progress' this season I would not be dissatisfied.
I am not under the assumption that Simms goes for the back-up job...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 29, 2006, 11:46:03 AM

According to WDAE this is a rumor started by one radio jock, and they say it isn't true

#27 : November 29, 2006, 11:46:26 AM

I am not under the assumption that Simms goes for the back-up job...

He did say "at the least" a backup who knows the sys.  I think we'll have a pretty open competition for the starting job next year, barring any wierdness.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 29, 2006, 11:46:59 AM

If he did really sign the contract then it is a good thing.  If nothing else he is our best option at number two.  If he shows prgress he may end up better then he showed in the beginning of the year.  Maybe, Gruden realizes that Simms is his best bet at winning next year since he knows the system and has shown the ability to run it well.

#29 : November 29, 2006, 11:47:15 AM

According to WDAE this is a rumor started by one radio jock, and they say it isn't true

Awww...we'll see.  The 1470 folk are running with it, still.  They just repeated the report.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms signs. NOT! (per AM 1470) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools