Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Graham and why the team may still draft a running back in the first round « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: February 23, 2008, 03:27:47 PM

For everyone who thinks Graham can carry the load remember he was the freshest of any backs since he barely carried the ball until last season so he had very little wear and tear on his body. But anything after 20 carries and his average gets cut in half from 4.1 to a poultry 2.0 so for fans who think the team views him as an every down back might want to look at his body of work last season.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 23, 2008, 03:32:21 PM

interesting stats

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 23, 2008, 03:41:52 PM

For everyone who thinks Graham can carry the load remember he was the freshest of any backs since he barely carried the ball until last season so he had very little wear and tear on his body. But anything after 20 carries and his average gets cut in half from 4.1 to a poultry 2.0 so for fans who think the team views him as an every down back might want to look at his body of work last season.

To put those stats in perspective though, the carries that Graham received after his first 20 totes came in the fourth quarter of games in which the Bucs usually were ahead. When that happened, he was running into eight-man fronts as the Bucs were running out the clock and defenses were geared to stop him.

I think Graham proved he could carry the load last year. What he didn't prove is the ability to break off a run longer than 30 yards.

#3 : February 23, 2008, 03:42:35 PM

SR, how many has Carnell had?

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 23, 2008, 03:43:37 PM

I broke it down in a recent Fab 5. I can't remember off the top of my head, though. I know Caddy has had at least a handful.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 23, 2008, 03:51:25 PM

The big difference between Williams and Graham is that Williams got stronger as games went on running into those same eight man fronts while Graham seems to be less productive running into eight man fronts

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 23, 2008, 07:17:28 PM

I agree that Graham's average probably declined due to the fact that, if he had that many carries, we were undoubtedly ahead and the opposition knew we were going to run.  It is true tho, if memory serves that Cadillac seemed to get stronger as his number of carries increased.

.....just my opinion

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 24, 2008, 02:31:37 AM

Graham deserves to start.  Hammering him after 20 carries is silly, because how many games did he carry the ball 20 plus times, and how many times after 20?  Maybe 5 times?  Maybe 7?

Running clocks out when you are winning is obviously a staple in the NFL...tat is why I don;t like Warrick Dunn.  He did not face eight man fronts, but when he got the pill, he was getting hammered by less than eight man fronts.  He was getting hammered via standard formation, mostly designed to cover wideouts.

Graham helps the BUcs get ahead.  And after that, the defense has to get it done.  STandard OPs in Tampa.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 24, 2008, 07:09:04 AM

But anything after 20 carries and his average gets cut in half from 4.1 to a "poultry" 2.0 so for fans who think the team views him as an every down back might want to look at his body of work last season.

Those are some chicken S$#t stats.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 24, 2008, 07:16:01 AM

Graham should be the Bucs starting running back next season with a spot coming from Bennett or someone else.  I don't have the time, but I believe the guy had 10 TD's, close to a 1,000 yards in 12 full games, and oh yeah, he finished the season playing and not hurt.  Carnell has been a first round bust and it is time to move on in another direction.  I believe if the right man is available and we have filled the holes at receiver and future QB, then yes, draft a running back.

Raideneers

Starter

#10 : February 24, 2008, 07:54:22 AM

FA maybe? I'd pass on him myself but who knows? Hopefully this is just Allen putting folks off the trail as to what he's really interested in (fingers crossed)??

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/02/bucs-target-des.html
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Graham and why the team may still draft a running back in the first round « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools