Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What the pre-draft NFL scout reports had to say about Grad. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

ABN

Starter
: November 29, 2006, 11:41:45 AM

I recently read the NFL scouting service report on Gradkowski furnished to all the teams before the last draft. It read in part:

“His lack of arm strength hinders his ability to throw accurately on medium and deep
 passes---defensive backs get a good break on the ball and can make plays to break
up passes due to his lack or zip”.

Another report read: “spends more time than needed eyeing his primary targets and seems to hesitate looking off to find his secondary receivers—is not known for making decisions instantly---Has smaller than ideal hands and this could possibly be the reason for some fumble issues.”

It certainly looks like the scouts got it right. You have to wonder why in the world would a team want a QB that can’t spread the field with a threat of the long pass, and has so many other negatives, unless the QB possessed so many overwhelming qualities you could disregard these faults. It looks like he has so many negatives to overcome It will take years, if it can even be done.

I am now questioning Gruden’s judgment on player personnel and concerned he is letting his feelings about the person interferes with his judgment of the player.

I think Gruden is seeing himself in Gradkowski and giving him the chance he never got.

I am like so many other fans I hate to see us keep changing quarterbacks but on the other hand Gradkowski seems to be one of the most mediocre QB’s we have ever had.

#1 : November 29, 2006, 11:47:43 AM

Just remember the excuse of the year......HES JUST A ROOKIE.
Next year is will be....its just his second season in Gruden's system it usually takes three.

Even a rookie would show consistanct improvement. Bruce looks just as bad now as he did when he started his first game

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 29, 2006, 11:49:00 AM

I agree totally with this assement. His positives don't come close, IMHO, to out weighing his negatives.

The thing you have to look at is this, Grads did lead the NCAA in completion % (allbeit against 2nd teir comp) and he was a 6th round pick.

The people that idiolize the kid after one good game (in which NO had no idea what to expect) are the people that really need to look this in a macro sense. Grads was a 6th round QB for a reason and I'll betcha that he would not have even been drafted unless it was for Grus eye for QB's. Its not Grads fault but what can you expect, 6th round QB with no arm from a 2nd tier college program.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 29, 2006, 11:49:52 AM

when he started his first game

You are clueless.  You are not a Bucs fan.

utspartan drove the board mad with Larry Brackins threads........he has a great nose for talent.   :(

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 29, 2006, 11:50:49 AM

Just remember the excuse of the year......HES JUST A ROOKIE.
Next year is will be....its just his second season in Gruden's system it usually takes three.

Even a rookie would show consistanct improvement. Bruce looks just as bad now as he did when he started his first game

Exactly it does take 3 years but who in their right mind would give a 6th round QB 3 years, esp one that has been the same guy, or worse, the entire season.

As I said, and I hate to be the I told you so dude, he has low ceiling, what you see now is what you will get out of grads for years to come, he simply does not have the ability to elevate his game (much) from where he is now.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 29, 2006, 11:51:02 AM

I disagree with that entire assesment.

Lacks quick decision making? We have seen the polar opposite.

Weak arm strength? I see moderate arm strength.

Focusing on one WR?  Look at the distrubution of his passes.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 29, 2006, 11:51:26 AM

Seems like you selected ONLY the suspected weaknesses - just like was done on the insider board.  He has skills and has surprised with his level of performance AS A ROOKIE.  Not saying I can see him as the future of the bucs, but not say he won't be either.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 29, 2006, 11:52:11 AM

Scout reports are worthless individually.  I can find poor reports on practically every players drafted in the last five years.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 29, 2006, 11:52:15 AM

I would have rather seen the Bucs worth with Timmy Chang...from Hawaii...

And as a sidenote, he has 9 fumbles this year. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 29, 2006, 11:53:35 AM

The scouts questioned Simms toughness (mentally and physcially) and they have been proven wrong so far.  Scouts are not perfect and everyone see things differently.

#10 : November 29, 2006, 11:54:07 AM

He has skills and has surprised with his level of performance AS A ROOKIE.  Not saying I can see him as the future of the bucs, but not say he won't be either.  

I'm in agreement.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 29, 2006, 11:56:08 AM

I disagree with that entire assesment.

Lacks quick decision making? We have seen the polar opposite.

Weak arm strength? I see moderate arm strength.

Focusing on one WR? Look at the distrubution of his passes.

ADW, arm strength is throwing a 15 yard out, on a line away from coverage, fitting a 15-20 yard dig in, on a line, in between a zone, not how far you can throw it. Grads arm is weak, lets just be honest. He has made some very questionable decisions (like throwing the deep bomb to galloway with 3 guys back there and leaving it 20 yards short of where it would need to be, this thanksgiving day). Everything Grads does well, can be mostly attributed to gruden and having plays where he can dump it to alstott on 3 and 9 for a 2 yard completetion.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 29, 2006, 11:57:21 AM

ADW, arm strength is throwing a 15 yard out, on a line away from coverage,

Which Gradkowski did in the first New Orleans game which you did not watch. 

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 29, 2006, 11:58:15 AM

The scouts questioned Simms toughness (mentally and physcially) and they have been proven wrong so far. Scouts are not perfect and everyone see things differently.

Yeah proven wrong in the pros, Simms was a basket case at Texas...Who would think that Simms would have the toughness he does today after his track record at Texas and choking and losing every single year to Oklahoma in big games?

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 29, 2006, 12:00:53 PM

ADW, arm strength is throwing a 15 yard out, on a line away from coverage,

Which Gradkowski did in the first New Orleans game which you did not watch.

Ok, why has he not done it since then if that is in his repertoire? Anyone can throw a fade, its doesn't take great arm strength to hit a 40 yard fade, its takes arm strength throwing a 15 yard out on a line, that translates into about a 35 yard rope, Grads cannot to do that...

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What the pre-draft NFL scout reports had to say about Grad. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools