Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What the pre-draft NFL scout reports had to say about Grad. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #30 : November 29, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »

Simms showed he was tough in college as well not just in the Pros.

Yeah he was as mentally tough as you can get! Good point!

I agree. Tossing 7 ints and 1 TD in 3 games you have to mentally tough not to completely lose your mind. 

« #31 : November 29, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »

when he started his first game

You are clueless.  You are not a Bucs fan.

utspartan drove the board mad with Larry Brackins threads........he has a great nose for talent.   :(

Your blind love for Gradkowski mirrors my admiration for LB....next year when he is riding the bench again I will remind you how great you think he is

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #32 : November 29, 2006, 01:05:41 PM »

Your blind love for Gradkowski mirrors my admiration for LB....next year when he is riding the bench again I will remind you how great you think he is

I like Grads but I have NEVER said he will be the starter next year.  He is our starter for now and we don't have many options, much like when Simms came in last season.  I was 100% behind Simms last season when he was starting, what fan wouldn't want the starting QB to do well  ???   

I would like to see Grads progress, much like I hoped Simms would be lights out this year.  If Grads falls by the wayside we move one, I don't really care so long as we get better.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #33 : November 29, 2006, 01:06:51 PM »

ADW, arm strength is throwing a 15 yard out, on a line away from coverage,

Which Gradkowski did in the first New Orleans game which you did not watch.

Ok, why has he not done it since then if that is in his repertoire? Anyone can throw a fade, its doesn't take great arm strength to hit a 40 yard fade, its takes arm strength throwing a 15 yard out on a line, that translates into about a 35 yard rope, Grads cannot to do that...

Did you miss the 17 yard rope in the NO game here when he threaded it between 2 defenders into galloway in the endzone-- Did you also miss in the Cincy game when he threw two frozen ropes 10 yards farther than Galloway on deep routes. It is a timing issue with the kid-- how else do you explain earlier in the year he was throwing 10 yards over the deep WR's head, other times he has hit them in stride and WR's have dropped it see NYG game. And now he has thrown short and floated a few. Thats timing. When you miss long and short it's your timing on the throw not your arm strenght or you would miss them all short.

« #34 : November 29, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »

Lets compare him to another MAC Quarterback

Charlie Frye

In his first year he only played 7 games

QB rating- 72.8
Completions 98
Attempts- 164
Yards- 1002
59.8% completion percentage
Yards/Game- 143.1
Yards/Attempt- 6.1

Gradkowski after 10 games

QB Rating- 70.1
Completions-138
Attempts- 259
Yards- 1328
53.7% Completion %
Yards/Game- 132.8
Yards/Attepmt- 5.1

Frye beats his MAC counterpart in almost every statistical catagory with less talent around him in his first year playing only 7 games. And I heard some Browns fans say they are in the market for a QB

« #35 : November 29, 2006, 01:26:31 PM »

I like Grads but I have NEVER said he will be the starter next year. He is our starter for now and we don't have many options, much like when Simms came in last season. I was 100% behind Simms last season when he was starting, what fan wouldn't want the starting QB to do well ???

I would like to see Grads progress, much like I hoped Simms would be lights out this year. If Grads falls by the wayside we move one, I don't really care so long as we get better.

Me too however who is better out there right now? I dont want another rookie and Pulmmer is Dilfer with legs. If Gradkowski isnt the answer....next year it has to be Simms

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #36 : November 29, 2006, 01:52:14 PM »

Charlie Frye

QB rating- 72.8
Completions 98
Attempts- 164
Yards- 1002
Yards/Game- 143.1
Yards/Attempt- 6.1

QB Rating- 70.1
Completions-138
Attempts- 259
Yards- 1328
53.7% Completion %
Yards/Game- 132.8
Yards/Attepmt- 5.1

Frye beats his MAC counterpart in almost every statistical catagory with less talent around him in his first year playing only 7 games. And I heard some Browns fans say they are in the market for a QB

You left out Frye only had 4TD's 5INT's while Grads had 9 TD's 4INT's in his 1st 7 starts. You also fail to show that Frye in his second year has done worse than Grads a 6th round rookie. No wonder there in the market for a QB.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #37 : November 29, 2006, 01:57:20 PM »

Meh, here's a few others:

Gradkowski, Bruce (Toledo)

The rookie QB prospect I feel shows the best potential for growing into a quality starter based on the film not named Leinart, Young, or Cutler is Toledo signal caller Bruce Gradkowski. Stat-wise, this prospect is the only NCAA division one player to ever complete 70 percent of his passes for two seasons. From the perspective of film study, Gradkowski makes excellent decisions, demonstrates NFL accuracy, and is terrific on the move. He's regarded as a tough on-field leader and I was impressed with his decision making and improvisational skills when the game is on the line. Time and time again, I saw him find a way to make the play with his arm or his feet (he ran a 4.5 at the combine). He was one of the most accomplished passers I graded and graded out as high as the top three, if not higher in some areas.

Gradkowski, Bruce

Good athlete, definitely has what it takes for the next level, takes command of the offense, a leader, can throw on the run or from the pocket, one of his strengths is his versatility, meaning he can kill you throwing or running, excellent runner in open space, makes quick, decisive decisions, has the athleticness to by time for his receivers, and also makes you defend the entire field either spreading the field with multiple passes, stretching the field with vertically, or running when there are openings, throws a tight spiral, he also enhances the level of skill and confidence of the players around him, good skill at avoiding the rush as well, for the next level, would be excellent in a West Coast offense type, see him as starting QB in NFL one day.

Full Name:  Bruce Gradkowski  School  Toledo

Pos : Accurate and productive college quarterback with upside for the next level.  Patient in the pocket, senses the rush and waits for receivers to come free, not releasing  the ball until the very last second.  Possesses a sense of timing and has a great feel for where receivers are on the field.  Natural looking off the safety and puts touch on throws when required.  Goes to the safe outlet if nothings available downfield. 

Neg: Slow getting the ball out of his hands on three-step drops or the immediate release. Loses accuracy throwing on the run.  Lacks ideal size.

Analysis:   Gradkowsi has been a solid and productive player on the college level. Good athlete and solid pro prospect.

Draft Report, Bruce Gradkowski, QB

Bruce has a good body frame that can add more bulk with no loss in speed. He is a dangerous roll-out passer
with the speed to tuck the ball and gain big yardage on the ground. He is a smart, instinctive athlete who is a
solid decision maker. He is a fearless leader who plays with injuries that would sideline most other players. He is
hard to defend as he makes the defense play the entire field.

He has adequate arm strength and might be better suited for a West Coast or option offense. He shows great
ability to throw on the run and shows the awareness to set up and throw the short ball with good touch. He shows
good zip on intermediate throws, but tends to hold the ball a little too long at times waiting for his primary target
to get open. However, he will throw the ball away or tuck the ball and run rather than make poor decisions by
throwing into a crowd.

He is calm under pressure and throws a catchable ball, displaying a smooth over-the-top motion and a decent
release. He has adequate speed getting to his pass set point, as the team utilizes him mostly in the shotgun,
making it hard to judge his quickness getting back from center. He has a good feel for pressure and good
command of the huddle.

Bruce is best when operating in the short area. He does a good job of anticipating when his receivers will get open
and is effective on crossing routes. He distributes the ball effectively, utilizing all of his targets on the field. His
feet buy him time in the pocket waiting for the plays to develop, but he still needs to get the ball off a little
quicker.

He is a mobile runner who is very good on the bootlegs and draw plays. He has the ability to throw on the run,
especially from the far hash. Gradkowski's problems develop when he fails to locate his secondary targets, relying
too much on his mobility to buy time while eyeing his primary target. He is a competitive type that will improvise
to make the plays. Bruce has solid throwing mechanics and will drill the ball to his receiver on underneath routes.
He has very good balance and change of direction agility to step up in the pocket and hangs tough under the rush.
While he might not be suited for a vertical passing game, he has a lot of ability in handling the option attack. He
lacks ideal size that you look for in a quarterback and needs more muscle tone, but has the mental alertness and
competitive fire to make things happen on the field. Playing through those injuries late in 2004 proved his
toughness.

A bit of a concern is his smaller-than-ideal hands (8 7/8-inches), as he is prone to fumbling the ball (see 2004
Kansas and Western Michigan games) because of his inability to secure the ball at times, but he does square his
shoulders well on the move. He looks like a nice mid-round talent who can be an effective back-up earlier in his
career, but needs to improve his arm strength before he can be counted on to lead a pro team.

Beastie

Rookie

« #38 : November 29, 2006, 02:03:27 PM »

Check this report out.

Negatives:
Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Who you think that is?

Yea thats Tom Brady. Someone please come here and tell me that he has a bad arm and has a problem avoiding the rush?

Scouting Reports dont mean much.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #39 : November 29, 2006, 02:06:34 PM »

"Michigan’s Tom Brady, at 6-foot-4½ and 193 pounds, is as thin as a rail, lacks football strength and, despite his toughness, goes down too easily because of the way he is built. He is not a gifted athlete and will not impress anyone with his scrambling ability."

« #40 : November 29, 2006, 02:25:19 PM »

Actually that report is nicely dead on. Brady was a weak armed in the NFL, he had to do quite a bit of work to bulk his arm up but even now he's not got a gun for an arm he's just got an adequate NFL arm. He's not a mobile guy in the run away from you sense and if you can get pressure on him he does struggle to avoid it and he clearly doesn't ad lib well.

You forgot: "...and he's the best QB in the league and can make ALL the throws."

« #41 : November 29, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »

Charlie Frye

QB rating- 72.8
Completions 98
Attempts- 164
Yards- 1002
Yards/Game- 143.1
Yards/Attempt- 6.1

QB Rating- 70.1
Completions-138
Attempts- 259
Yards- 1328
53.7% Completion %
Yards/Game- 132.8
Yards/Attepmt- 5.1

You also fail to show that Frye in his second year has done worse than Grads a 6th round rookie. No wonder there in the market for a QB.

Really

Frye Year Two....

69.5 Rating

216/345 62.6%
2145 yards
195 yards per game
6.2 Yards per attempt
9 Touchdowns
16 INTs

He has passed for more yards and is more efficient. His heel has been his INT's which drops his rating but other than that he again beats Grads in every category

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #42 : November 29, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »

ADW, arm strength is throwing a 15 yard out, on a line away from coverage,

Which Gradkowski did in the first New Orleans game which you did not watch.

Ok, why has he not done it since then if that is in his repertoire? Anyone can throw a fade, its doesn't take great arm strength to hit a 40 yard fade, its takes arm strength throwing a 15 yard out on a line, that translates into about a 35 yard rope, Grads cannot to do that...

Did you miss the 17 yard rope in the NO game here when he threaded it between 2 defenders into galloway in the endzone-- Did you also miss in the Cincy game when he threw two frozen ropes 10 yards farther than Galloway on deep routes. It is a timing issue with the kid-- how else do you explain earlier in the year he was throwing 10 yards over the deep WR's head, other times he has hit them in stride and WR's have dropped it see NYG game. And now he has thrown short and floated a few. Thats timing. When you miss long and short it's your timing on the throw not your arm strenght or you would miss them all short.

Wow its official Grads has a strong arm, hilarious!

Miss them short, like he did with galloway on turkey day huh, I understand now.

Baghead #2

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

« #43 : November 29, 2006, 02:55:53 PM »

Not much left to say when the examples are put in front you showing it is his timing and not lack of arm on the deep ball, hilarious.

9TD's and 16 INT's -- has been more efficient at giving the ball to the other team and he hasn't passed for more yards-- his ypa is almost identical. Not to mention his rating has dropped in year 2 and is lower than his MAC rookie counterpart. OUCH

« #44 : November 29, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »

You forgot: "...and he's the best QB in the league and can make ALL the throws."
Yeah well someone obviously only clipped the negatives on his report I'm guessing and he has or did have all those weaknesses. He can't make all the throws, he's not going to make a living tossing 15 yard outs like aikman or Elway did in their day.

Did you see last year's NE game v. the Bucs?  He made throws to Branch on some deep outs that were incredible.  See Monte's quotes after the game.  He doesn't have top 5 arm stength in the league, but he can make all the throws.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What the pre-draft NFL scout reports had to say about Grad. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools