Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking News: Bucs Sign C Jeff Faine To A Multi-Year Deal « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

#30 : February 29, 2008, 01:31:29 AM

I hope he stays healthy. He missed two games in '05 and two games in '07.

#31 : February 29, 2008, 01:31:47 AM

Yes! About damn time we land a good Center.

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 29, 2008, 01:32:12 AM

If a player works out well and helps take us to another level, then to me there's no such thing as over-paying for anyone unless they fail miserably(and I don't see the latter happening with Faine).

ColoBuc

Practice Squad
#33 : February 29, 2008, 01:32:52 AM

From Scouts Inc.

Expert's Take   Faine is tough, athletic and savvy. He's a right-handed center who can handle the shotgun snap. He's a veteran who has emerged as the leader of New Orleans' offensive line. He has some functional strength and knows how to use leverage. He has good initial quickness off the snap and into blocking patterns. He knows and understands good blocking angles. He can be effective working to the second level off combination blocks. He shows good awareness and instincts setting pocket depth in pass protection. He can slide, bend and move laterally off short sets. He has active hands and can reset on moving targets. He has good recovery speed against inside rushers and when reacting to line stunts. He stays under control and can be effective in space on screen passes. But he lacks ideal size and power. He isn't as effective when covered up by a nose tackle. He struggles to maintain leverage when he gets upright on drive blocks. He can get top-heavy, overextend and lose his balance. He tends to give up ground against power rushers. Faine is a steady NFL starter who is a stabilizing influence.

NFL Network also had him rated as #2 OL available.

Good, solid signing IMO.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 29, 2008, 01:33:52 AM

Well that's not entirely true DTG, we just overpaid for a guy we really wanted, when was the last time we did that? Last year we don't make this deal IMO.

The Bucs have been forced to overpay in this case this year, due to the large number of teams with money to spend. Faine is exactly the sort of FA the Bucs have been interested in under this regime. In any case, whether you consider him a "big splash" FA or not, he's clearly not a "Tiger Woods" at the position but he's at least a moderate upgrade over Wade -- so let's hope he has a great career as a Buccaneer.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 29, 2008, 01:36:26 AM

Shenanigans.  

Well, since the whole damn league is cheating, we might as well.

Sorry, but no friggin way a multi-year deal with signing bonuses, roster bonuses, likely to be earned/not likely to be earned bonuses, salary structure, etc gets worked out in less than 1 hour.  No friggin way in hell this deal gets worked out without tampering/ prior contact.

Why have a rule if no one is going to even pay it lip service let alone obey it.

I am ecstatic we addressed one of our biggest needs.  But the non-observance of the tampering rules is just getting way out of hand IMO

Larry Brackins

Starter
#36 : February 29, 2008, 01:37:24 AM

Very happy about this move. We had to get a center, and we got the best one on the market. Offensive line is now set.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

#37 : February 29, 2008, 01:37:51 AM

C'mon DTG, this guy is one of the top centers in the league free agent or not, so major kudos for tonight so far!!  ;D

Hey, ok. If Jeff Faine is all it takes to get you guys excited, then very honestly I'm right there with you! As I said before, Faine's an upgrade (at least a moderate upgrade) at the position and a player that I like.

But Faine's name hasn't been bantered about much as one of the "Tiger Woods" free agents. He's the same sort of FA the Bucs have been interested in the past few seasons. I figured that a Faine signing would have been a letdown for most of the fans who have such high hopes for a "big splash" this year.

So color me a little impressed that Faine has folks pumped up.

Exactly, Faine is 2nd tier talent.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 29, 2008, 01:38:18 AM

Shenanigans. 

Of course. This deal was in the works as soon as the Saints decided they wanted to get rid of Faine because they like Goodwin better at his position.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 29, 2008, 01:39:20 AM

Well that's not entirely true DTG, we just overpaid for a guy we really wanted, when was the last time we did that? Last year we don't make this deal IMO.

The Bucs have been forced to overpay in this case this year, due to the large number of teams with money to spend. Faine is exactly the sort of FA the Bucs have been interested in under this regime. In any case, whether you consider him a "big splash" FA or not, he's clearly not a "Tiger Woods" at the position but he's at least a moderate upgrade over Wade -- so let's hope he has a great career as a Buccaneer.

I agree, definitely not a TW caliber signing, but as I said in a separate thread Briggs, Samuel, and Moss are the only three that deserve that label. Samuel we don't need at least not at the price he will ask, I can see the argument behind not going after Moss, but IMO for the system we run Briggs is about as good a cover 2 Will LB that we will find and we need to attempt to land him.

#40 : February 29, 2008, 01:40:02 AM

great signing!

bryan12112

Starter

#41 : February 29, 2008, 01:40:46 AM

He's not elite, but judging the offensive line as a whole, I think he'll be a good fit for us. Good signing.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 29, 2008, 01:41:33 AM

A good start. A clear weakness addressed. WTG Bucs! Keep it going!

In Verner We Trust

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 29, 2008, 01:41:51 AM

Well good. I'm truly glad people are happy about Faine. Since he's not an All-Pro type player and the Bucs have (reportedly) made him the highest-paid OC in the entire league, I expected a lot of whining and a bunch of "how come we paid this guy so much and didn't even try for Asante Samuel or Randy Moss?" reaction.

LA BUC

Starter

#44 : February 29, 2008, 01:42:37 AM

Is this guy little?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking News: Bucs Sign C Jeff Faine To A Multi-Year Deal « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools