Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teams are "making it rain" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 01, 2008, 07:20:54 PM

Graham is under contract, Haye was tendered a contract and White was also tendered a contract. White has no recourse but to sign the deal or sit out for a few years.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler

#16 : March 01, 2008, 07:21:47 PM

overpaying for berrian or henderson would have been assinine. glad BA is keeping a level head. faine is a huge signing. upgrading the interior line was crucial for running and passing. immediately improved our running game without bringing in a running back and our passing game without bringing in a wide receiver.

i assume we will acquire a CB, WR and DT prior to the draft. may or may not be starters, but upgrades over last year.

rd 1: mendenhall/stewart
rd 2: trevor laws/dre moore
rd 3: lavelle hawkins/dex jackson
rd 4: erik ainge/josh johnson

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 01, 2008, 07:22:18 PM

Graham is under contract, Haye was tendered a contract and White was also tendered a contract. White has no recourse but to sign the deal or sit out for a few years.

Those are all true, yes, got that.  However that does not preclude the Bucs from extending those players if they determine they are pieces they want to keep.  Not every cent has to be spent on outside FA. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 01, 2008, 07:24:31 PM

That is true, Marley. However, one caveat is that Bruce hasn't been one to do that unless a player is in his last year.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#19 : March 01, 2008, 07:24:48 PM

Well it's hard to believe DTG. We have the money, there are players out there on the market who can help us and we aren't looking at them. It's like we don't want to get a better team on the field next year at this point.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 01, 2008, 07:25:43 PM

Unfortunately there are a lot of teams that have $20 million plus to throw away in FA.  I have a feeling some very average players will be getting very nice pay days this FA.

Yet if you read what a lot of people are saying on this board, that is exactly what we ought to be doing. Remember Pbuc is in the last year of his contract so we can throw money at him, and I think EG probably earned an extension. This all cost money off the cap too!

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 01, 2008, 07:25:54 PM

That is true, Marley. However, one caveat is that Bruce hasn't been one to do that unless a player is in his last year.

Wouldn't you consider Graham, White, and Haye in the last year of their deals?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 01, 2008, 07:27:59 PM

The Bucs will be patient in FA, particularly with the WR position. Faine was the only "must have" guy on day one in their minds. I told you before FA opened that they had no interest in Asante Samuel.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 01, 2008, 07:28:54 PM

Unfortunately there are a lot of teams that have $20 million plus to throw away in FA. I have a feeling some very average players will be getting very nice pay days this FA.

Yet if you read what a lot of people are saying on this board, that is exactly what we ought to be doing. Remember Pbuc is in the last year of his contract so we can throw money at him, and I think EG probably earned an extension. This all cost money off the cap too!

EG and P'buc might be worth a couple of million of cap space each but that isn't going to improve the team.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 01, 2008, 07:29:01 PM

Wouldn't you consider Graham, White, and Haye in the last year of their deals?

What I meant was, the Bucs aren't going to do sweeping across-the-roster extensions on guys who still have multiple years on their deals.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 01, 2008, 07:30:06 PM

What I meant was, the Bucs aren't going to do sweeping across-the-roster extensions on guys who still have multiple years on their deals.

Oh absolutely, we've seen Bruce's MO and I personally agree.  I was just saying there's other uses for the cap other than simply signing other team's FA that are on the market.

JC510

Practice Squad

#26 : March 01, 2008, 07:30:14 PM

The Bucs are taking the Culverhouse approach

[banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

I just cannot fathom going into next season with the same group that we currently employ at the skilled positions.

Guess you don't want to be able to keep Barrett Ruud, Tanard Jackson, Arron Sears, Davin Joseph, Jovan Haye and  Jeremy Trueblood.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#27 : March 01, 2008, 07:33:26 PM

And nor should they do that. They should be applauded for not doing that. Giving out extensions like candy gets you in trouble, as does trying to overpay for a ton of guys in free agency.

I just think I view this team differently than they do (well, obviously). We need help on offense and we don't just need a center. I didn't want us to overpay for Berrian as I think he is overrated and I didn't want us to overpay for Stallworth but I think that Henderson was a guy we could have got at a decent price, and I think we can pick up Walker for a decent price.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 01, 2008, 07:35:09 PM

Well it's hard to believe DTG. We have the money, there are players out there on the market who can help us and we aren't looking at them. It's like we don't want to get a better team on the field next year at this point.

Who is saying the FO isn't looking (besides panicky posters)?  Does someone have BA's office bugged, and knows he "isn't looking"?

They have signed 4 guys, scheduled visits with 6 and are trying to schedule 6 more visits.

You guys act like every single player out there is getting no calls and is just waiting for The Bucs to call, plane ticket in hand.  Maybe, BA is ''looking'' but the agents haven't scheduled him in yet.  Maybe we have 3 or 4 visits scheduled and BA is keeping it secret.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#29 : March 01, 2008, 07:35:49 PM

As long as Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden don't start shooting up nightclubs we'll be alright.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teams are "making it rain" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools