Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teams are "making it rain" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 01, 2008, 07:36:16 PM

but I think that Henderson was a guy we could have got at a decent price, and I think we can pick up Walker for a decent price.

Any FA player that signs anywhere for a decent price is either stupid or has a poor agent.  With the minimum salary cap rule and all the money in FA this year nearly everyone will get over paid.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 01, 2008, 07:37:22 PM

I think that Henderson was a guy we could have got at a decent price

Well, my take on Henderson is different than some, I guess. I didn't want him at any price. Well, maybe league minimum with incentives that are based on his NOT dropping 7 out of 27 passes.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 01, 2008, 07:38:57 PM

Maybe we have 3 or 4 visits scheduled and BA is keeping it secret.

Now that is just naive thinking.  First thing EVERY NFL agent does is make sure everyone is aware where their clients are visiting AND obviously add a few places they are not visiting.  You have to fire the supply and demand to get top dollar for your client.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#33 : March 01, 2008, 07:56:01 PM

There was no reason to pay a ton of money for Henderson. Any team in the NFL that would do that is stupid.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 01, 2008, 08:30:02 PM

The Bucs will be patient in FA, particularly with the WR position. Faine was the only "must have" guy on day one in their minds. I told you before FA opened that they had no interest in Asante Samuel.

I was hoping Justin Smith was a "must have" guy also

jameswilder

Starter

#35 : March 01, 2008, 09:43:33 PM

Lets dump 60 mil on Samuel, potential 40 mil on Briggs and off the radar screen for Moss. No thanks.
Just because the Bucs have salary cap money, does not state they are going to be throwing money around like drunken sailors. I think the front office knows a bit more about the current market of free agency than those of us which are looking for info on the net.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy- B. Franklin.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 01, 2008, 10:16:00 PM

Lets dump 60 mil on Samuel, potential 40 mil on Briggs and off the radar screen for Moss. No thanks.
Just because the Bucs have salary cap money, does not state they are going to be throwing money around like drunken sailors. I think the front office knows a bit more about the current market of free agency than those of us which are looking for info on the net.

There is a minimum salary cap under the new CBA.  This year they are required to spend 85% of the cap, which means we have to spend a total of $28 million before the season starts.  The rookie pool will be under $6 million because of our draft position and number of picks.  So far in FA we have probably spent about $6 million of cap space.

So the FO have to spend another $16 million on FA or restructuring players.  Once the top tier FA are gone they will still have to spend that money.  It is going to be very interesting seeing how each team manages to spend all the free cap space.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 01, 2008, 10:46:16 PM

No need to extend someone when they are already under contract, We where lead to believe that the team was targeting "Tiger Woods" types this off-season only to find out we are going after the John Dailys of the world.

The team did not use 8 nor 9 million on last years draft class even with a  top four pick and two second rounders
No need to extend someone when they are already under contract, We where lead to believe that the team was targeting "Tiger Woods" types this off-season only to find out we are going after the John Dailys of the world.

Well....there were a ton of "Tiger Woods" types available in FA weren't or aren't there? I think you need to reread Allen's comments again because that's not what he said.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

#38 : March 01, 2008, 11:16:00 PM

overpaying for berrian or henderson would have been assinine. glad BA is keeping a level head. faine is a huge signing.

How would "overpaying" for Berrian be a bad thing but "overpaying" for Faine is a good thing?

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#39 : March 01, 2008, 11:36:03 PM

overpaying for berrian or henderson would have been assinine. glad BA is keeping a level head. faine is a huge signing.

How would "overpaying" for Berrian be a bad thing but "overpaying" for Faine is a good thing?

It's a matter of what position the guy plays. Overpaying for a QB is going to cost you more than overpaying for a C. A WR is no different...if you overpay for a WR you are dishing out much more than you would be if you were overpaying for a C, which we did.

To put it bluntly, we needed a C badly too. Wade was the weakest link on the line for the last year and was second weakest when we had Mahan at guard. Not having that particular problem will go a long way in solidifying the line for next year. It was a good move.

#40 : March 01, 2008, 11:38:14 PM

It's a matter of what position the guy plays. Overpaying for a QB is going to cost you more than overpaying for a C. A WR is no different...if you overpay for a WR you are dishing out much more than you would be if you were overpaying for a C, which we did.

If i'm not mistaken, Faine and Berrian got about the same guaranteed $$. Come again?

Pirate Zone

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 02, 2008, 01:38:11 AM

The forecast so far from Buccaneers camp is partly cloudly with a brief light sprinkle in free agency.  :-

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Teams are "making it rain" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools