Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The state of our Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: October 08, 2006, 10:14:13 PM

In my opinion at 0-4 with a promising young QB and a slow aging defense, we are looking at a 5-11 or 6-10 REBUILDING type of team for the next 2+ years unfortuneatly. That is all I am going to expect for the remainder of this year and be accepting of it; and we have just hit that point where 5-6 of our defensive players need to be replaced slowly but surely, and we need to start a new era on offense with Gradkowski and a young offensive line that is going to develop some chemistry in the near future hopefully.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#1 : October 08, 2006, 10:23:28 PM

After really thinking hard about this tonight and reviewing our upcoming schedule, I can see more of why we may not win many games this year.

We do have a promising young QB in Gradkowski and he seems to fit this offense to a T. We also have a young nucleus on offense to work with on the line, at WR and RB too. I think this team is really going to grow together this season. With that said, our defense played horribly today. We looked like we forgot how to tackle. Rebuilding the defense is going to take a long time, too because we haven't invested in defense over the years Gruden has been here. More than anything it is going to be our schedule that kills us. We may not beat anyone except the Falcons and Browns this year. Even with good play from the offense we are going to have a really tough road to climb.

I think today all but sealed the fact that we are not making the playoffs this year. The good news though is that we are going to have an easy schedule next year if we do really tank the rest of the season. We might be able to get a few defensive free agents in here who can really help us out. If we had a pass rusher at DT I think this would be an entirely different defense. Booger has killed us. We need another safety too, because Phillips is stinking it up this season. Our LBs seem to still be pretty good and I think that if we had any kind of pass rush it would help our coverage out.

This year we may only win 2 games or as many as 6-7. It all depends on who else tanks and how nicely this offense comes together. Next season, however, I would expect a playoff run with an easy schedule.

#2 : October 08, 2006, 10:18:48 PM

In my opinion at 0-4 with a promising young QB and a slow aging defense, we are looking at a 5-11 or 6-10 REBUILDING type of team for the next 2+ years unfortuneatly. That is all I am going to expect for the remainder of this year and be accepting of it; and we have just hit that point where 5-6 of our defensive players need to be replaced slowly but surely, and we need to start a new era on offense with Gradkowski and a young offensive line that is going to develop some chemistry in the near future hopefully.
you seem to overreact, I'm not sure about a 2 year rebuilding phase, if Gradkowski picks up the offense as quickly as it appears and we do get a few new starters on defense this off-season, with a weaker schedule than this year, I'm not sure we won't be right back in the hunt next season.

donny77

Starter

#3 : October 08, 2006, 10:29:41 PM

The problem is, the offense actually looked pretty good today.  Truthfully the defense lost this game with the inability to tackle Duece.  Now Duece has ALWAYS given us problems, but we relly need a new defensive line.  I know Kiffen has liked the smaller guys, but I think we need a line more like Chicago and Jacksonville.  Lets get some beef.  Now, by the time we get a d line, we will also need corners and linebackers.  It really looks like the window on this defense is closed, they just can't get off the field.

BucsFan1976

Practice Squad
#4 : October 08, 2006, 10:30:57 PM

Im not happy about it, but the silver lining in the D dropping off so quickly is that mgmt cant ignore the fact that we need to rebuild and fast. Looks like we are headed for the draft and revamping the D will no doubt be on their minds. Ill leave who we should go after to those of you who follow college ball more closely than me.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#5 : October 08, 2006, 10:33:30 PM

I agree the big problem is now the defense.  The rushing defense is not an anomaly but looks to be a trend after four games of getting gashed.  The Kiffin/Dungy philosophy on d-lineman is old and out of date.  Indy is also getting gashed for a lot of rushing yards which may cause them a lot of trouble later in the year.

The puzzling thing is the huge dropoff from last year despite 10 of 11 starters returning.  Booger is killing the defense.

bryan12112

Starter

#6 : October 08, 2006, 10:34:37 PM

I disagree. I know the defense is aging, but I also know that Barber, Brooks and Rice can still be great players. Move White and Ruud into the starting line-up, replace McFarland and Phillips, and things look a lot better. Unlike the past few years, there will be cap room and top picks to work with. Free agency and the draft can turn a team around in no time. I also like the direction the offense is going in. I know it's just one game, but Gradkowski looks good, the offensive line will have a chance to gel once Mahan and Joseph are officially in their spots, and the WR depth is still strong. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I still like this team a lot.

Which divisions do we play in '07? It has to be easier than this years atleast. That will help things out too.

gone

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 09, 2006, 12:30:27 AM

We're really missing Rod.  The line as a whole is a problem only because of the UT.  That spot is the key to this D and right now Cartman would be a better tackle.  Safety is weak, but a good pass rush can cover a multitude of weaknesses in the secondary.  THis D went from No1 last year to this mess.  THat isn't aging players, that's losing Rod and Tomlinson.  Mostly Rod.  THe only way to fix this D is with a big pickup in UT or time. 

One of the problems is the "gentleman's agreement" regarding D.  Jon stays OUT.  Unfortunatley, Monte isn't the big motivator, Rod was.  Now when we need that motivation, Jon can't easily step in there.

Ironically, Rice seems to be the only guy playing with passion.  But I guess that isn't surprising, he was always about himself, so he may not have been as dependent on Rod's fire as some others.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#8 : October 09, 2006, 12:32:28 AM

Any chance Bryant could get on the on the roster and start playing NT on running downs?  I'd like to see Hovan at UT and bring in Wymms on passing downs.

Booger should be benched.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#9 : October 09, 2006, 02:12:54 AM

What I want to happen is for us to sign a real pass rushing UT this year. I don't want to draft one with a 1st round pick, especially if we have a premium pick, because it doesn't seem as though there is anybody worthwhile. Perhaps a 2nd round pick we could use to get somebody in here but I still want to see a big time FA brought in to play that position. We need somebody who is going to pressure the QB, plain and simple. If we had that guy Rice would look better, White would look better, Hovan would look better, and everybody else especially the secondary would look better.

Without a consistent pass rush from our front four, our defensive scheme is useless.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#10 : October 09, 2006, 02:19:07 AM

Do you think Ruud can play Safety? maybe replace Phillips? He's very quick and has some great power. Everytime I see Ruud, he reminds me a lot of Lynch.

Thoughts?????

#11 : October 09, 2006, 07:58:59 AM

As painful as this is to say or think; our defense is on it's way down and players like Brooks, Barber, Spires, Quarles, and even Rice are slowing down and coming to the end of their careers, and McFarland just plain sucks and has been a non factor the past 2-3 seasons. So the reason I am looking at our team as a "rebuilding team";  is because that is what they're going to have to do on defense the next 2-3 years to replace those 5 or 6 veterans, and it's going to take our young offense about 2-3 years before they're firing on all cylinders.

This was bound to happen sooner or later, and it's not really anyone's fault but maybe.............Father Time.  ;)

#12 : October 09, 2006, 04:23:59 PM

Even though I might disagree with him alot, the Big Dawg pretty much echoed everything I have said in this thread today.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 09, 2006, 04:50:44 PM

One has to wonder if it's the players or the coaching? Did Barber just forget how to tackle? Did Hovan just forget how to play the run? Did the linebackers just slow down too much to cover the edges properly? I don't know, but I'm not sure we can totally blame this only on age. Yes, the older players have slowed down but there is a big difference in the defense we saw last season vs. the one we are currently seeing. So I have to ask the question, 'Is it the coaching?'

And if the defense did suddenly 'slow down', shouldn't Kiffen be loyal to the team above the players? I love to watch Derrick Brooks out on the field, but maybe it's time to let him have a few series off? Maybe White should be taking over Spires place and we should move Spires (who has always played the run better than rushing the passer) inside. The players always talk about accountability, perhaps that phrase should be used with the defensive coaches as well? Tackling is a fundamental, players don't forget.

Good coaches find a way to get the best out of their talent.

There is still talent on this defense.

Coaching needs to use it better even if it means doing somethings a bit different.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 09, 2006, 04:55:25 PM

Are the Bucs really rebuilding with a very old defense in place? 

Or are they just suckin' right now?

Just askin is all.

Either way, hard to be happy at 0-4, no matter how many bright sides you stare at...

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The state of our Buccaneers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools