Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Theory on FA thus far « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: March 03, 2008, 02:42:11 PM

With the Bucs knowing what some other teams weaknesses are in the NFC South could they be visiting with certain players to drive the price up on certain players in the hopes that certain players my fall in the draft?

For an example, while the Bucs need a CB, They still have Ronde Barber and PBuc as starters so there need is for a number three guy that can develop into a starter. While they had a visit scheduled with Gay did that but pressure on the Saints to sign Gay for higher then they wanted too to insure they addressed one of their glaring weaknesses?

Michael Turner while they was no rumored visit did Atlanta over pay for an unproven commodity, with Williams most likely sideline for the 2008 season did the Falcons feel pressure to spend a little extra to ensure Turner did not visit with the Bucs?

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 03, 2008, 02:46:05 PM

i think people are thinking way too much on why the Bucs are not spending money.

I think its for the simple fact that they think they are fine, talent wise, as a football team.  I always bring this up and it never seems to get through to people; but the Bucs weren't really active after their successful 02 and 05 campaigns either.  I think, and don't agree with by the way, that the Bucs believe they are fine.  Plus you factor in that both Allen and Gruden are safe for atleast another year.

It could be a number of things.  Maybe the Glazers set their own cap limit to the cap.  Maybe we want to give players raises like Galloway, Graham, Ruud, etc.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 03, 2008, 02:48:05 PM

Nice theory on Turner but I think it just boils down to the Falcon franchise being a joke.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 03, 2008, 02:59:11 PM

Not sure you go giving Galloway a raise, I could see Ruud get a pay raise and or an extension, Graham at his age not sure you broker a long term deal with him until you see how the first half of the 2008 season goes.

PoorRichard

Starter

#4 : March 03, 2008, 03:18:07 PM

i think people are thinking way too much on why the Bucs are not spending money.

I think its for the simple fact that they think they are fine, talent wise, as a football team. I always bring this up and it never seems to get through to people; but the Bucs weren't really active after their successful 02 and 05 campaigns either. I think, and don't agree with by the way, that the Bucs believe they are fine. Plus you factor in that both Allen and Gruden are safe for atleast another year.

It could be a number of things. Maybe the Glazers set their own cap limit to the cap. Maybe we want to give players raises like Galloway, Graham, Ruud, etc.

With all due respect, this thread and this post, in particular, don't make much sense. First, all teams practice gamesmenship in FA. This isn't a concept novel to the Bucs and Allen should not be given credit. Second, the Bucs are NOT fine talent wise. They are a .500 football team that needs a serious speed updrage on offense and pass rushing upgrade on defense (if the FO really thinks they are 'fine' talent wise then they should be fired -- Allen already said they are looking to hit homeruns in FA -- so far we've hit 1 and struckout at least 3 times).  Relying on the draft will not get it done for next year. Without these additions we will not make the playoffs next year. Third, the Bucs didn't make any moves after their '02 and '05 successful campaigns and they fell flat on their faces.

Bottom line -- they scored with Faine, but they need to score with Lito, possibly Dunn while adding a WR (CJ or Roy via trade) or this offseason will prove to be a bust. With the Saints upgrades on defense they will surely be the team to beat in the South. Beyond that, without significant additions we don't stand a chance against the Packers, Cowboys, Giants for the NFC title.

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#5 : March 03, 2008, 04:22:47 PM

With the Bucs knowing what some other teams weaknesses are in the NFC South could they be visiting with certain players to drive the price up on certain players in the hopes that certain players my fall in the draft?

For an example, while the Bucs need a CB, They still have Ronde Barber and PBuc as starters so there need is for a number three guy that can develop into a starter. While they had a visit scheduled with Gay did that but pressure on the Saints to sign Gay for higher then they wanted too to insure they addressed one of their glaring weaknesses?

Actually the Bucs have an aging and often exploited CB in 07 (Barber) a Waiver Claim who turned out to be a starter by default (P-Buc) and thats about it. Id say there is a need for 2 starters as Barber by the end of 08-09 season will probably look like a #3 DB.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Theory on FA thus far « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools