Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: December 02, 2006, 05:30:05 PM

Johnson is not the answer for the Bucs, not if they have a top 5 draft choice. 

Johnson did not have a bad game.  Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.   

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here.  Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference.  This is because of the  position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 02, 2006, 05:33:03 PM

Johnson did not have a bad game. Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here. Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference. This is because of the position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.

Agree 100%

gonzalez

Rookie

#2 : December 02, 2006, 07:51:00 PM

Reggie ball is sucH a bad QB. Give calvin Troy smith or Brady Quinn

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 02, 2006, 08:16:42 PM

I really have to disagree with you here. Not that I want Calvin Johnson (honestly I want to wait until the end of the season and see what we do in free agency before I say who I want with our first pick), but you can't say that because a team didn't win that you don't want a guy. Calvin Johnson was the only guy that did anything in the passing game for Tech and you know they were double covering the guy.

The bottome line is if WR is your biggest need or one of them and Johnson is the best player available and fits a need, you need to consider him. He's a great player. If you were to go by your way of picking players...that's like saying I don't want Barry Sanders on my team because he didn't win a lot of games with the Lions.

Football is a team sport and one guy can't win you a game especially at the receiver position when you have to have a good QB to get you the ball. Tech's QB had a bad game and threw 2 INTs. With better QB play who knows how he might have done.

So, the same thing goes for us. You can have all the great WRs in the world, but you still have to have a guy to get them the ball. Do we have that guy? Who knows. We still have several more games to go and we could bring Simms back. Either way, QB and WR will be a position we will need to look at along with the O-Line and most importantly...defensive improvements.

If the Bucs feel a player like Johnson is the best player available and they are able to fill some of their other holes through free agency or if they don't think anyone else is worth that pick, then I am fine with Johnson...but you can't rule him out just because his team didn't win a game.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 02, 2006, 08:21:20 PM

Johnson did not have a bad game. Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here. Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference. This is because of the position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.

Please tell me this is a joke.  And PLEASE stop with the "_____ isn't the reason this team is bad" stuff.  There are lots of reasons this team is bad.  WR is one of them.  There is no single reason. 

As for Johnson, he had 117 of his team's 129 yards receiving.  That means he is the only weapon that team has!  The other team knows this and he STILL got 117 yards!  He's the only reason that game was even close.  How on earth can you say these are reasons not to draft him?

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#5 : December 02, 2006, 08:55:27 PM

I love Calvin Johnson.  He could be huge for us here in Tampa.  He could bring us what we don't have in Clayton.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 02, 2006, 09:35:55 PM

Please tell me this is a joke. And PLEASE stop with the "_____ isn't the reason this team is bad" stuff. There are lots of reasons this team is bad. WR is one of them. There is no single reason.

As for Johnson, he had 117 of his team's 129 yards receiving. That means he is the only weapon that team has! The other team knows this and he STILL got 117 yards! He's the only reason that game was even close. How on earth can you say these are reasons not to draft him?
I didn't say _____ isn't the reason the Bucs are bad. I said WR isn't the reason the Bucs are bad.  They aren't. 

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 02, 2006, 10:07:50 PM

WR is a reason the Bucs are bad...it might not be the main reason, but it is a reason...all except Galloway.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 02, 2006, 10:11:10 PM

The Buccs will be very thin at WR next season without additions in FA or the draft.  We can't bank on Clayton getting his form back and Jeoy staying as fast or injury free.  If the Buccs had $50 million of cap space and 3 first round pick, it still wouldn't be enough to fill all the holes.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 02, 2006, 10:20:26 PM

Johnson did not have a bad game.  Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.   

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here.  Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference.  This is because of the  position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.

I agree ... I haven't been all that impressed.  The guy seems to be held in check to often in big games.  From any of the games I've seen GT play, I haven't seen anything that has shown me he'd be worth our first rd pick.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 02, 2006, 10:33:34 PM

Please tell me this is a joke. And PLEASE stop with the "_____ isn't the reason this team is bad" stuff. There are lots of reasons this team is bad. WR is one of them. There is no single reason.

As for Johnson, he had 117 of his team's 129 yards receiving. That means he is the only weapon that team has! The other team knows this and he STILL got 117 yards! He's the only reason that game was even close. How on earth can you say these are reasons not to draft him?
I didn't say _____ isn't the reason the Bucs are bad. I said WR isn't the reason the Bucs are bad. They aren't.

THE reason the Bucs are bad is we have no talent!  The WR's are a HUGE part of the giant lack of talent we have.  We have one proven WR and he's 35 years old.  If that's not a problem then I don't know what is.  Certainly there are many positions of need and we could take any of them with our first pick, but to pass on CJ because our WR corps is just peaches is crazy.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 03, 2006, 12:05:25 AM

WHAT?

Don't draft a good WR because he didn't win the game single handedly for his team? He had a good game, was basically the ONLY weapon on offense, had ALL of the attention of the defense, and still managed 117 yards... but don't draft him because they didn't win?

WR's aren't a problem? What effin team are you watching? Galloway's got how much left? Clayton is workin on the bust card like his life depends on it. Then who else is there? Every other WR is garbage.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 03, 2006, 12:50:46 AM

I agree with KrAzY...although I don't know if WR should be the first pick. If Grads continues to struggle (and depending on where the Bucs pick) do the Bucs go OT, QB, WR, DL? There will be a lot of good talent. A lot is going to depend on what we do in the free agency period leading up to the draft. I think right now, our biggest need is DL, S, OL, WR, LB in that order. Now the question becomes when the Bucs pick...do we take the best player in those areas or to we target one area. If the Bucs do draft a WR though I wouldn't be shocked. I do think we have other needs, but if Galloway goes down, we have nothing. Clayton has slipped, Hilliard is a #4 WR, and Stovall has had back problems, so we don't know what he can do.

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

#13 : December 03, 2006, 02:21:12 AM

It's amazing how many people have turned on Clayton.

Don't judge the WRs on this team until we have a decent QB and a decent HC. Fact is that Galloway is the focal part of the offense. Clayton might get 4 balls thrown his way on a good day and I assure you, its not for lack of getting open. Gruden has made Galloway the #1 receiver. Throwing deep down field is a low probability throw, and not something Gradkowski does well. Yet Galloway is still the main target on nearly every play.

Don't judge Clayton until we have a real QB.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#14 : December 03, 2006, 03:08:29 AM

This is getting ridiculous. I don't want Johnson or any other offensive player in the 1st, period. Having said that, you can't knock the guy when he turned out 117 of the team's 129 yards. You can't knock ONE PLAYER because a team that really isn't all that talented lost a game. The guy is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd threat to the defense and gets treated as such, and still produces big games like that. His talent is undeniable.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools