Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#15 : December 03, 2006, 08:12:11 AM

Reggie ball is sucH a bad QB. Give calvin Troy smith or Brady Quinn

Hell, give him Chris Simms or Bruce Gradkowski.  Reggie Ball isn't even a backup QB in the NFL.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 03, 2006, 08:27:47 AM

"Don't judge Clayton until we have a real QB".

Seems to me we had the same problem with Clayton last year with Griese and Simms and this years with Simms.

Don't believe its the QB.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 03, 2006, 08:58:21 AM

Johnson is not the answer for the Bucs, not if they have a top 5 draft choice. 

Johnson did not have a bad game.  Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.   

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here.  Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference.  This is because of the  position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.

I agree.  Stovall is still a question mark and the Bucs used a day one pick on him.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 03, 2006, 09:59:54 AM

Clayton might get 4 balls thrown his way on a good day and I assure you, its not for lack of getting open.

Oh, the football god from high above has spoken and he has assured us peasants of the REAL reason Clayton's numbers are down.

You say Galloway gets open and thats why he gets the ball?
You say Clayton can't create separation?

HOGWASH!

It's Gruden! That bastard, he has centered the offense around Galloway! Clayton is always WIIIIIIIDE open. Grads refuses to throw the ball to him, knowing that if he does, Gruden's chambers of horror awaits him.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us Obi.

Orangegone1

Starter

#19 : December 03, 2006, 10:01:28 AM

There are so many good WR out there. We have so many needs. I like the idea of a trade down and get an extra 2nd. WR could be had then. We really need a CB early and S and DL. Johnson is supposed to be great but I really have not seen it yet. Has anyone followed Myles at West Virginia?  He is really a good WR.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 03, 2006, 11:35:32 AM

taking a cb early is a horrible idea. the nfl rules are against a cb and we dont need a superstar in this system. a good cb for this team can be had outside of the 1st easily.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 03, 2006, 11:44:03 AM

HE reason the Bucs are bad is we have no talent! 

Um no.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#22 : December 03, 2006, 12:13:15 PM

He is in college, he is a good PROSPECT, its not all about that, and he isnt the whole team anyways, his QB is crappy, CJ has good hands and great instincts from what i can tell, i wouldnt be upset at all if we took him in the 1st

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 03, 2006, 12:19:41 PM

Um no.

Clearly that is the problem.  We do not have good players.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 03, 2006, 12:32:35 PM

Um no.

Clearly that is the problem.  We do not have good players.

I disagree. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 03, 2006, 12:36:45 PM

So we have a great coach and good players.  It must be the refs!

watson

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 03, 2006, 12:40:14 PM

There was 2 plays in the GT/WF game that I think speak volumes about Johnson.  When GT attempted to throw the ball downfield and Johnson was one on one with the DB, the ball was up for grabs and the DB came down with it.  It did not appear that Johnson really fought for the ball to either catch it or knock it down.  On the other play, the WF WR went deep against 2 GT DBs and the ball was once again up for grabs.  The WF WR came down with the ball because he wanted it more.  If Johnson does not have the "fighter" mentality that you see someone like a Steve Smith then to me he is just this year's version of Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 03, 2006, 12:58:05 PM

There was 2 plays in the GT/WF game that I think speak volumes about Johnson.  When GT attempted to throw the ball downfield and Johnson was one on one with the DB, the ball was up for grabs and the DB came down with it.  It did not appear that Johnson really fought for the ball to either catch it or knock it down.  On the other play, the WF WR went deep against 2 GT DBs and the ball was once again up for grabs.  The WF WR came down with the ball because he wanted it more.  If Johnson does not have the "fighter" mentality that you see someone like a Steve Smith then to me he is just this year's version of Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

One of those plays has nothing to do with Johnson.  And are you really going to base this on one play?  I've seen this guy play many times including once in person.  He is a beast!  When he played VT he was WIDE open half the time but his QB never saw him.  With a real QB he could have twice as many yards as he has now. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 03, 2006, 01:22:25 PM

So we have a great coach and good players.  It must be the refs!

Coaching has been great this year?  So far I have not seen it. I might see it in the next five games but right now I do not see it.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 03, 2006, 01:32:06 PM

Um no.

Clearly that is the problem. We do not have good players.

We have plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball.  We might not be the most talented offensive group in the league, but they are clearly underperfoming to their abilities.  Poor schemes and lack of fundamentals are killing us, and you can point your finger right at the coaching staff for that.  And this isn't just a knock on Gruden, the positional coaches definitely need accountability. 

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools