Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 03, 2006, 01:35:56 PM

There was 2 plays in the GT/WF game that I think speak volumes about Johnson.  When GT attempted to throw the ball downfield and Johnson was one on one with the DB, the ball was up for grabs and the DB came down with it.  It did not appear that Johnson really fought for the ball to either catch it or knock it down.  On the other play, the WF WR went deep against 2 GT DBs and the ball was once again up for grabs.  The WF WR came down with the ball because he wanted it more.  If Johnson does not have the "fighter" mentality that you see someone like a Steve Smith then to me he is just this year's version of Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

One of those plays has nothing to do with Johnson.  And are you really going to base this on one play?  I've seen this guy play many times including once in person.  He is a beast!  When he played VT he was WIDE open half the time but his QB never saw him.  With a real QB he could have twice as many yards as he has now. 

Wide open is college is not the same in the NFL.  Yes a better QB could take advantage of CJ's abilities but he is not as polished coming out as people suggest.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 03, 2006, 01:37:05 PM

There was 2 plays in the GT/WF game that I think speak volumes about Johnson. When GT attempted to throw the ball downfield and Johnson was one on one with the DB, the ball was up for grabs and the DB came down with it. It did not appear that Johnson really fought for the ball to either catch it or knock it down. On the other play, the WF WR went deep against 2 GT DBs and the ball was once again up for grabs. The WF WR came down with the ball because he wanted it more. If Johnson does not have the "fighter" mentality that you see someone like a Steve Smith then to me he is just this year's version of Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

One of those plays has nothing to do with Johnson. And are you really going to base this on one play? I've seen this guy play many times including once in person. He is a beast! When he played VT he was WIDE open half the time but his QB never saw him. With a real QB he could have twice as many yards as he has now.

Wide open is college is not the same in the NFL. Yes a better QB could take advantage of CJ's abilities but he is not as polished coming out as people suggest.

Then we will have to just disagree on that.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 03, 2006, 01:41:35 PM

THE reason the Bucs are bad is we have no talent! The WR's are a HUGE part of the giant lack of talent we have. We have one proven WR and he's 35 years old. If that's not a problem then I don't know what is. Certainly there are many positions of need and we could take any of them with our first pick, but to pass on CJ because our WR corps is just peaches is crazy.
I think if the rest of the offense was clicking, the talent of guys like Clayton would magically show up.  If we drafted Colston do you think he would be ROY material with the Bucs?  Do you think any reciever in the league besides Terrell Owens would be looking good if they were on the Bucs?  I don't think so. I think it takes time for an offensive line and running game to start clicking. It takes a good QB.  Then after all that you find out what you have or don't have at the WR spot.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 03, 2006, 01:49:42 PM

THE reason the Bucs are bad is we have no talent! The WR's are a HUGE part of the giant lack of talent we have. We have one proven WR and he's 35 years old. If that's not a problem then I don't know what is. Certainly there are many positions of need and we could take any of them with our first pick, but to pass on CJ because our WR corps is just peaches is crazy.
I think if the rest of the offense was clicking, the talent of guys like Clayton would magically show up.  If we drafted Colston do you think he would be ROY material with the Bucs?  Do you think any reciever in the league besides Terrell Owens would be looking good if they were on the Bucs?  I don't think so. I think it takes time for an offensive line and running game to start clicking. It takes a good QB.  Then after all that you find out what you have or don't have at the WR spot.

If the line is blocking, then Clayton will learn to catch?  I'm confused as to how that works.  As for the rest of that, I don't disagree.  But if Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams, and the QB's are off the board, we are taking Johnson.  There's no one left.  And it will be a good pick.

Orangegone1

Starter

#34 : December 03, 2006, 05:47:55 PM

taking a cb early is a horrible idea. the nfl rules are against a cb and we dont need a superstar in this system. a good cb for this team can be had outside of the 1st easily.

A coverage corner is the most important position to this D. Look what happens when Kelley goes out.  Name a good D without 1 good coverage corner.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 03, 2006, 05:50:46 PM

this is not a coverage corner system slick. we don't need a champ for our d to be effective. brian kelly isn't exactly the stud of the nfl either.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#36 : December 03, 2006, 06:00:42 PM

The most important position on this defense is whichever brings a pass rush with him to make everybody else look better. Corner is probably not the first guy I'd look to for that.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 03, 2006, 07:56:30 PM

this is not a coverage corner system.

Agree 100%.  A solid interior pass rush will make our secondary look 100% better.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 03, 2006, 08:23:43 PM

Johnson is not the answer for the Bucs, not if they have a top 5 draft choice.

Johnson did not have a bad game. Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here. Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference. This is because of the position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.

Please tell me this is a joke. And PLEASE stop with the "_____ isn't the reason this team is bad" stuff. There are lots of reasons this team is bad. WR is one of them. There is no single reason.

As for Johnson, he had 117 of his team's 129 yards receiving. That means he is the only weapon that team has! The other team knows this and he STILL got 117 yards! He's the only reason that game was even close. How on earth can you say these are reasons not to draft him?
I didn't say _____ isn't the reason the Bucs are bad. I said WR isn't the reason the Bucs are bad. They aren't.

I have to interject here!
If you think the what 40 passes dropped this year have not hurt then my friend you are not watching the games!
There were 2 dropped TD's just today!
GTalloway is done soon.CJ could be very good!

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 04, 2006, 07:16:13 AM

Johnson did not have a bad game. Worse. He had a good game, but didn't make the difference.

To use the #1 pick on Johnson would be a mistake. He would do the same thing here. Come in, have good games, and not make a huge difference. This is because of the position he plays, and the fact that regardless of what you think about the Bucs WRs, they are not the reason the team is bad.
Agreed.
No player is worth a top draft pick unless THEY CAN SINGLEHANDEDLY WIN GAMES.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#40 : December 04, 2006, 07:50:20 AM

It's looking more and more like the Bucs will have a top 3 pick.  Out of Thomas, Quinn, and CJ I think CJ is the best prospect.  Let's see if he can run a 4.3 a the combine.

As much help as the defense needs, taking C. Johnson and then Troy Smith early RD. 2 would create a huge amount of excitement for the franchise that may make the growing pains easier to watch.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 04, 2006, 08:07:27 AM

No way!  I would go nuts if the Bucs pass on Thomas/Adams for CJ.

#42 : December 04, 2006, 08:09:41 AM

Through all that if you listen to ESPN the analysts still state that GT lost because they didnt get CJ the ball. Their playcalling is horrible with Reggie Ball at the helm

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#43 : December 04, 2006, 08:16:26 AM

The Bucs don't need a big upgrade at LT.  A. Davis is the least of the problems.  Clayton is a bust and Galloway is 35.  Gaines Adams would be a good pick also.  If CJ lays down a good 40 then he really is the next TO given his size, hands, vertical, and speed.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 04, 2006, 08:18:05 AM

The Bucs don't need a big upgrade at LT.  A. Davis is the least of the problems.  Clayton is a bust and Galloway is 35.  Gaines Adams would be a good pick also.  If CJ lays down a good 40 then he really is the next TO given his size, hands, vertical, and speed.

Yeah but Joe Thomas is a franchise caliber OT and they are rare as they come.  And Gaines Adams would make Monte Kiffen cry like a school girl.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools