Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#45 : December 04, 2006, 08:22:29 AM

The Bucs don't have the luxury of taking Thomas when they have a serviceable LT now.  Isn't it clear as day now that WR is a position that is in dire need?  Galloway is close to retirement and one hammy injury and we literally have no threats on offense at the outside skill positions.

The player who would have the most immediate impact on the offense would be Johnson.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#46 : December 04, 2006, 08:25:26 AM

The Bucs don't have the luxury of taking Thomas when they have a serviceable LT now.  Isn't it clear as day now that WR is a position that is in dire need?  Galloway is close to retirement and one hammy injury and we literally have no threats on offense at the outside skill positions.

The player who would have the most immediate impact on the offense would be Johnson.

The Bucs do not have the luxury to take CJ when they invested  three day one picks for two WR's (Clayton, Stovall) and a TE (Alex Smith).  No I do not think WR is a dire need contrary to what many believe.   What is in need is better coaching! I would like to see what another OC can do with what the Bucs have on offense.

Joe Thomas would make his presense felt on offense immediately and the same can be said of Gaines on defense.  :o

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#47 : December 04, 2006, 08:28:28 AM

Clayton is an unequivocal bust and Galloway is old.  Smith is a good TE but without any vertical threat or playmakers outside this offense will be worse.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#48 : December 04, 2006, 08:29:53 AM

Clayton is an unequivocal bust and Galloway is old.  Smith is a good TE but without any vertical threat or playmakers outside this offense will be worse.

Well I am not about to throw them under the bus until I see a new offensive coordinator and a new WR coach. Just my two cents.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#49 : December 04, 2006, 08:44:54 AM

The Bucs don't have the luxury of taking Thomas when they have a serviceable LT now. Isn't it clear as day now that WR is a position that is in dire need? Galloway is close to retirement and one hammy injury and we literally have no threats on offense at the outside skill positions.

The Bucs do not have the luxury to take CJ when they invested three day one picks for two WR's (Clayton, Stovall) and a TE (Alex Smith). No I do not think WR is a dire need contrary to what many believe. What is in need is better coaching! I would like to see what another OC can do with what the Bucs have on offense.

Joe Thomas would make his presense felt on offense immediately and the same can be said of Gaines on defense. :o

QFT

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#50 : December 04, 2006, 08:46:08 AM

Clayton is an unequivocal bust and Galloway is old. Smith is a good TE but without any vertical threat or playmakers outside this offense will be worse.

Well I am not about to throw them under the bus until I see a new offensive coordinator and a new WR coach. Just my two cents.

And you can't discount Stovall yet, whom Gruden has been quoted as saying is Galloway's replacement.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#51 : December 04, 2006, 08:48:07 AM

What is in need is better coaching! I would like to see what another OC can do with what the Bucs have on offense.

Then you are advocating a new coach.  That might be needed but Gruden will never bring in an OC that would usurp his control of the offense.  He's just not going to do it.  The x's and o's are what the guy live for and that's what gets him up at 3 AM.

watson

Hall of Famer
#52 : December 04, 2006, 08:51:25 AM

There was 2 plays in the GT/WF game that I think speak volumes about Johnson. When GT attempted to throw the ball downfield and Johnson was one on one with the DB, the ball was up for grabs and the DB came down with it. It did not appear that Johnson really fought for the ball to either catch it or knock it down. On the other play, the WF WR went deep against 2 GT DBs and the ball was once again up for grabs. The WF WR came down with the ball because he wanted it more. If Johnson does not have the "fighter" mentality that you see someone like a Steve Smith then to me he is just this year's version of Charles Rogers or Mike Williams.

One of those plays has nothing to do with Johnson. And are you really going to base this on one play? I've seen this guy play many times including once in person. He is a beast! When he played VT he was WIDE open half the time but his QB never saw him. With a real QB he could have twice as many yards as he has now.
This was an example and I've watched him play also and I still haven't seen him do any more than Rogers or Williams did in college.  And more often than not, I have not seen him fight for the ball like I saw the WF player do.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#53 : December 04, 2006, 08:53:17 AM

What is in need is better coaching! I would like to see what another OC can do with what the Bucs have on offense.

Then you are advocating a new coach.  That might be needed but Gruden will never bring in an OC that would usurp his control of the offense.  He's just not going to do it.  The x's and o's are what the guy live for and that's what gets him up at 3 AM.

It is possible Gruden does let someone else call the plays next year (Eg Hackett) so I would not rule it out.  But at this point if Gruden fails to show anything to finish the year on offense (forget the defense we know that is a lost cause) then yes I am advocating a new head coach.

And you can't discount Stovall yet, whom Gruden has been quoted as saying is Galloway's replacement.

I am not so quick to jump before I see where I am leaping too.  :P

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#54 : December 04, 2006, 09:05:26 AM

It is possible Gruden does let someone else call the plays next year (Eg Hackett) so I would not rule it out. But at this point if Gruden fails to show anything to finish the year on offense (forget the defense we know that is a lost cause) then yes I am advocating a new head coach.

I am not so quick to jump before I see where I am leaping too.  :P

In that case, I expect you'll be calling for a new coach at seasons end because this offense is not going to magically improve in 4 games. All these young guys are just lost. They're busting their asses out there, the plays are there, but they just can't get it done. There's too many mental and physical mistakes. But I suppose that's what you get with a rookie right side of the line, a 6th rd rookie QB, 2nd year TE and HB, a couple 3rd year linemen, etc... It really is amazing how young we are on offense. Our only true veteran starters are Galloway, Becht, Alstott and Wade. And other than Galloway, those guys aren't playing too hot either.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#55 : December 04, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

I am not expecting huge results on offense.  I am expecting some results.  I was ecstatic to see the Bucs have a solid drive against Dallas.  I am not hard to please.   :P

All I ask is one solid drive per game and at least 13-14 points.  :'(

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#56 : December 04, 2006, 09:18:38 AM

I am not expecting huge results on offense.  I am expect some results.  I was ecstatic to see the Bucs have a solid drive against Dallas.  I am not hard to please.   :P

All I ask is one solid drive per game and at least 13-14 points.  :'(

.After this Sunday, it'd be nice just getting at least one TD every game the rest of the year. Maybe add a FG or 2 to get around that 13 pt mark. But the D might need to get a few turnovers inside the opponent's 30 to make that happen. Especially up in Chicago..... that game will be ugly.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#57 : December 04, 2006, 09:20:21 AM

At this point if they can muster one solid drive that results in a TD for the rest of the year that is progress.  Nothing wrong with baby steps.   ;)
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Calvin Johnson, GT lose « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools