Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Panthers Shopping Peppers « previous next »
Page: 1

Badabing

Hall of Famer

: March 07, 2008, 03:11:25 PM

I doubt they would trade him to a division rival, so we could just end the conversion there...

But I'd trade our 1st for him

Wolf

Rookie

#1 : March 07, 2008, 03:08:45 PM

Interesting Rumor (emphasis on rumor  ;) ) from PFT-

POSTED 2:36 p.m. EST, March 7, 2008

PANTHERS SHOPPING PEPPERS?

We've received several e-mails over the past couple of days regarding rumors that the Carolina Panthers are poised to trade defensive end Julius Peppers.

And so we've actually engage in a little "real" journalism -- and in some of our good, old-fashioned rumor mongering.

There are rumors in league circles that the Panthers are quietly shopping Peppers.  He has a big cap number in 2007, and there's a school of thought that the Panthers aren't willing to pay him what it would take to keep him over the long haul, especially since the price tag could go up if/when the Ravens sign Terrell Suggs to a long-term deal.

But it takes two to do the trade tango, and we've yet to confirm that any of the other 31 teams have been approached about acquiring the No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Peppers had only 2.5 sacks last season, down from 13.0 the year before.  He had been expected to be in line for a Dwight Freeney-style deal with $30 million guaranteed and a $12 million per year average.

Agent Carl Carey tells PFT that he and Peppers have heard the rumors, but that they have no merit.

"We fully expect that Julius Peppers will be a Carolina Panther this football season," Carey said.

At this point, there's no concrete reason to believe otherwise.  But unless and until Peppers signs a new contract with the Panthers, the trade whispers will continue.

Edit - I don't know why PFT said he has a big cap number in 2007.  Since the article was posted today, I assume it is a typo.

I love this team, and would cheer them even if Leeman Bennett was coaching Alvin Harper and Eric Curry.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#2 : March 07, 2008, 03:10:52 PM

They wouldnt trade him here but Id like him oposite Gaines Adams/Greg White for sho

goobtube

Starter

#3 : March 07, 2008, 03:12:30 PM

I doubt they would trade him to a division rival, so we could just end the conversion there...

But I'd trade our 1st for him

Exactly any rumor within the Division about a trade is not going to happen.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 07, 2008, 03:13:31 PM

Peppers  is still young, I'd get him in a minute. LDE solved. Next.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 07, 2008, 03:15:43 PM

Now that would be interesting if Peppers returns to form, and some how was traded here, Adams as the RDE and Peppers as the LDE it would be hard for teams to double Adams and not Peppers. But like everyone else it would be a cold day in hell before the Panthers trade Peppers to a  Division Rival

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

goobtube

Starter

#6 : March 07, 2008, 03:17:58 PM

Now that would be interesting if Peppers returns to form, and some how was traded here, Adams as the RDE and Peppers as the LDE it would be hard for teams to double Adams and not Peppers. But like everyone else it would be a cold day in hell before the Panthers trade Peppers to a  Division Rival

Exactly, the thought of it is nice but Carolina would never do it unless we gave them some ridiculous offer. But of course we would not do that.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 07, 2008, 03:23:13 PM

He has a big cap number in 2007

2007?

goobtube

Starter

#8 : March 07, 2008, 03:24:48 PM

He has a big cap number in 2007

2007?

This article must have been last year.

marlevr

Second String
#9 : March 07, 2008, 03:29:09 PM

Off the roids performance not good.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 07, 2008, 03:29:52 PM

We have a much better shot of landing T-Sizzle.  Adams on the left, Suggs on the right and White rotating in would be an insanely talented group pf ends.

JC510

Practice Squad

#11 : March 07, 2008, 03:30:38 PM

UFA in 2009

As is Tommie Harris

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 07, 2008, 03:50:15 PM

UFA in 2009

As is Tommie Harris

Assuming neither gets locked up.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 07, 2008, 04:02:03 PM

Peppers  is still young, I'd get him in a minute. LDE solved. Next.
He has not played up to expectations.  If Carolina is looking to trade him then obviously they don't think he will return to his previous form.

Wolf

Rookie

#14 : March 07, 2008, 04:08:08 PM

Or they haven't managed their cap space well enough to handle the risk that he might not return to his previous form.

I love this team, and would cheer them even if Leeman Bennett was coaching Alvin Harper and Eric Curry.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Panthers Shopping Peppers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools